Options

Photoshop-Burn/Dodge Question

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited September 12, 2009 in Finishing School
Does anyone have any good tutorials for using the burn and dodge tool. I have been trying to use these tools on some colorful photographs however it looks overdone and when I unclick the mouse and start in a new area it leaves a very noticable line. Can you also post some of your pictures where you have used these tools. Thanks!
Court
Courtney

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    The best way to dodge and burn is to not use the dodge and burn tools. It's much easier to control if you use a separate layer for it. Then it's easier to fine-tune the effect than with the dodge and burn tools.

Google turned up this technique that I like, and it's actually from this very forum!
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2478
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Try using a brush that is a little bigger than you think you need. Also make sure that the brush has soft edges to prevent that streak look.
    Try midtones only and exposure of about 10% or so and make small wipes with the brush.

It takes a little trial and error to get comfy with dodging/burning.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    The best way to dodge and burn is to not use the dodge and burn tools. It's much easier to control if you use a separate layer for it. Then it's easier to fine-tune the effect than with the dodge and burn tools.

Google turned up this technique that I like, and it's actually from this very forum!
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2478

15524779-Ti.gif

Hold down the alt key while selecting a new layer by clicking the icon for a new layer in the layers panel. This will bring up the new layer dialog box...name the layer...set the mode to overlay...opacity to 65%...check the "fill with 50% gray" check box. Now you can paint with black or white to dodge or burn. Press the x key to toggle between the two. Remember to have the brush soft and at a low opacity.:D Sounds difficult...but it's not!

No need to select different shades of gray...just increase or decrease the opacity of the brush.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    What Ric said.

Ric is describing what we called the "Cletus" technique here on dgrin several years ago, although even Cletus would say that the he did not invent the technique.

The original Dodge and Burn tools were very crude tools, a little improved in CS 4 now, but still crude compared to the control of Overlay blending on an adjustment layer.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    I'll back up and say that if you must use the Dodge and Burn tools, at least be doing it in Photoshop CS4. They made some changes to make the use of those tools less crude, like adding a little intelligence in the new Protect Tones and Vibrance options. Here's an article about that.

I still use an adjustment layer though. It provides the ultimate control. You can alter any dodge and burn edit without depending on Undo or History.
  • Options
    goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    thanks everyone for your input! I have been trying out the links and help you all provide soon I will have this technique down all thanks to you all!! :D
    Courtney
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Hold down the alt key while selecting a new layer by clicking the icon for a new layer in the layers panel. This will bring up the new layer dialog box...name the layer...set the mode to overlay...opacity to 65%...check the "fill with 50% gray" check box. Now you can paint with black or white to dodge or burn. Press the x key to toggle between the two. Remember to have the brush soft and at a low opacity.:D Sounds difficult...but it's not!

No need to select different shades of gray...just increase or decrease the opacity of the brush.
    Thanks I couldn't figure out how to set my color to 50% grey thanks!clap.gif
    Courtney