Some post work.. C&C please

00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
edited September 10, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I know it's not the "whippin post" but let me know what you think of these. I shot these about an hour ago and did some 'quick' post on them, just looking for feedback to see if i'm on the track i think i'm on. (if that makes sense) :scratch

D50 - f2.8 @ 50mm - 1/1250s -0.7
hibiscus1.jpg

original
hibiscus2.jpg

D50 - f1.8 @ 50mm - 1/320s -0.7
wierdturkey.jpg

original
turkeyidk.jpg

I just liked the color on this one (f2.5 - 1/320s)
littlelizard.jpg

my buddies killer attack dog
DSC_8034.jpg

and his mouser.. fig
DSC_8061.jpg

any and all feedback appreciated..

Devin.
Devin

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Hibiscus...The desaturated version doesn't have anything to offer. The color shot is pretty, but that dead bud should have been removed before snapping the shutter. You are not in focus on the flower. The leaves are in sharper focus than the center of bloom.

Turkey...focus is too soft. You're going for really ugly here, so you have to get the ugly in focus. Did you drop-out the background? The edges of the body look like you did a selection and deleted the background. It's not natural. You might try leaving the background, but putting a heavy Gaussian blur on it.

Lizard wall-hanging. Not well lit. The center is lit (unevenly), but the top and bottom are not.

Dog...Cute dog in a very unattractive setting. A dog that size can be moved away from that kind of background.

Cat...Focus is soft.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Hibiscus...The desaturated version doesn't have anything to offer. The color shot is pretty, but that dead bud should have been removed before snapping the shutter. You are not in focus on the flower. The leaves are in sharper focus than the center of bloom.

Duely noted.. i have some others that were better focus.. i think i missed the mark on what i was goin for :cry

Turkey...focus is too soft. You're going for really ugly here, so you have to get the ugly in focus. Did you drop-out the background? The edges of the body look like you did a selection and deleted the background. It's not natural. You might try leaving the background, but putting a heavy Gaussian blur on it.

Actually no.. the background was intentional with the white sub zero freezer behind it. thought this would make it much easier if I wanted to do someting different (still might)

Lizard wall-hanging. Not well lit. The center is lit (unevenly), but the top and bottom are not. I guess this is the point where i say ..

i think the phtoto was what i was going for .. simple but good color. will re-visit this one.. thank you for the perspective.

Dog...Cute dog in a very unattractive setting. A dog that size can be moved away from that kind of background. I couldn't agree more.. most of the 30 shots i took were more or less planned.. but this one was nothing more than a snapshot. will work on this.. thanks.
    Cat...Focus is soft.
    yes, but, well, um, er.. ok - reshoot on that one

:D

Thanks so much for the critque Tony.. have a great night
    Devin
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Turkey posed in front of a freezer? Love the irony....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I have to say, I love the face that the dog is making and I laughed when I saw it.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Crop in on the dog to lose all that is around him/her. I agree...the dog has a funny look on its face :D The eyes are...one looking one way and the other looks like its looking the other way.
    Dogdots wrote:
    Crop in on the dog to lose all that is around him/her. I agree...the dog has a funny look on its face :D The eyes are...one looking one way and the other looks like its looking the other way.

wook1.jpg

here is a tighter crop (to much i think) and added an adjustment layer. I need to do something with the floor though.. not very attractive.
    I'm going to walk across the street and do a re-shoot today.
    Devin
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Much better. You are right about the floor. Also, try to get the AF right in the eye so they really pop!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Much better. You are right about the floor. Also, try to get the AF right in the eye so they really pop!

will do.. thanks andrew
    Devin
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    00SS wrote:
    wook1.jpg

here is a tighter crop (to much i think) and added an adjustment layer. I need to do something with the floor though.. not very attractive.
    I'm going to walk across the street and do a re-shoot today.

I like the crop, but it probably could of more on top. If you reshoot it -- focus on the eyes.

As for the floor....It works good as it blends really well with the color of the dogs fur. My opinion tho :D

Good luck on the reshoot and I look forward to seeing what you get thumb.gif