Red dragonfly: a toper?

paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
edited September 11, 2009 in Holy Macro
Can't quite identify this guy. The closest I came is a half-banded toper, but there is very little yellow in the back wings, so I suspect that's not quite right. Anyone know?

Not quite handheld--I rested my lens on the wood and gradually slithered toward him.

644648738_JoxBn-XL.jpg

This is the back of his head, which I found interesting--I never realized that the huge eyes are sort of cantilevered over empty space:

644648056_Lw4z4-XL.jpg

All suggestions welcome.

Dan

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    LOvely captures- can only say it's a species of what we call in the UK darter dragonflies. Yes their heads do seem to fairly empty spaces :)

Brian V.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    LOvely captures- can only say it's a species of what we call in the UK darter dragonflies. Yes their heads do seem to fairly empty spaces :)

Brian V.

Brian,

Thanks on both counts. I looked up darters after seeing your post, and that indeed seems like a match, although I can't narrow it down further.

Dan
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    Very nice.

Can I see the EXIF?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Very nice.

Can I see the EXIF?
    Thanks. Here's the EXIF for the first. I was using an extension tube--probably 20mm, but I am not certain. Processed only in LR, using the Adobe Standard profile.

Camera Model Canon EOS 50D
    Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/80
    Av( Aperture Value ) 13.0
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation 0
    ISO Speed 800
    Lens EF-S60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
    Focal Length 60.0 mm
    Image Quality RAW
    Flash Off
    AF Mode Manual focusing
    Color Space sRGB
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    very nice, does look like a darter
    you might like to try lightening a touch with either middle levels slider in ps or a bit of fill light in lightroom. just to lighten the reds a touch

Phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    very nice, does look like a darter
    you might like to try lightening a touch with either middle levels slider in ps or a bit of fill light in lightroom. just to lighten the reds a touch

Phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

Phil,

Thanks. Yes, I think you are right, at least for the second of the shots.
  • fronsfrons Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    paddler4 wrote:
    Can't quite identify this guy. The closest I came is a half-banded toper, but there is very little yellow in the back wings, so I suspect that's not quite right. Anyone know?
    Hi Dan,
    I can't really tell from the photographs, either, but a dorsal view showing the venation of all four wings is really helpful for narrowing down the family/genus/species. I admit to being guilty of favoring dorsal views of dragonflies instead of the "nose-hair" variety for the purposes of identification. Plus, I think the wings are really cool!
    paddler4 wrote:
    This is the back of his head, which I found interesting--I never realized that the huge eyes are sort of cantilevered over empty space:

Dan
    From a couple of unfortunate attempts to net some fast-flying specimens (in which the head was removed by the net), I have found that the head is attached to the shoulders by the smallest of necks, about the thickness of a straight pin. This allows for great maneuverability. On occasion, I have even seen dragonflies exhibit a "bobble-head" behavior where their heads jiggle on their necks. On a different occasion, I was able to pick up a specimen that was too cool to fly. With wings held behind its back, it objected by opening its jaws and alternately extending and retracting its forked "tongue" (not sure the technical name). What's remarkable is how all that it eats makes its way through that narrow opening!

Well, that's nothing that you asked for, so I hope I haven't bored you with my fascination for these flying marvels!
    edited September 11, 2009
    frons wrote:
    Hi Dan,
    I can't really tell from the photographs, either, but a dorsal view showing the venation of all four wings is really helpful for narrowing down the family/genus/species. I admit to being guilty of favoring dorsal views of dragonflies instead of the "nose-hair" variety for the purposes of identification. Plus, I think the wings are really cool!

From a couple of unfortunate attempts to net some fast-flying specimens (in which the head was removed by the net), I have found that the head is attached to the shoulders by the smallest of necks, about the thickness of a straight pin. This allows for great maneuverability. On occasion, I have even seen dragonflies exhibit a "bobble-head" behavior where their heads jiggle on their necks. On a different occasion, I was able to pick up a specimen that was too cool to fly. With wings held behind its back, it objected by opening its jaws and alternately extending and retracting its forked "tongue" (not sure the technical name). What's remarkable is how all that it eats makes its way through that narrow opening!

Well, that's nothing that you asked for, so I hope I haven't bored you with my fascination for these flying marvels!

Many thanks on both counts. I do have some shots that are less close up and show the wings from the side. That's how I figured it did not quite match the half-banded toper. But I think your suggestion is a good one. I'll try to get a better shot of the wings for identification in the future. Before I got extension tubes, this was not an issue--I couldn't get close enough to avoid getting at least a good piece of a wing.