Options

Three special folks...

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited September 12, 2009 in People
I have the cutest grandparents on the planet.

Last weekend I flew to Montana to shoot a wedding, and since I was there already, I snuck in a visit to my grandparents that live nearby.

My visit began at my Gramma Betty's house. Anyone who knows this amazing woman wants to grow up to be just like her. (Including me.) Betty has a hilarious sense of humor and serves everyone she comes into contact with with the smile and graciousness of a true hostess. Though Grandpa died just a few months ago, her strength and smile has never wavered. After much begging on my part she finally agreed to let me point my camera at her for a few minutes.

1. Here she is in a full fledged belly laugh. Steve Martin has nothing on her in the comedy department.

644569141_EVkK3-M.jpg

2. I think she looks so much like me in this one.

644572101_88MQ7-L.jpg

Then I drove a couple hours to the ranch to visit with my other grandparents.

3. Grandma Darlene is still quite lovely... you can just imagine what she was like back in the day when she met Grandpa John.
644576698_55dBi-L.jpg

And Grandpa John has that rugged rancher look... He is super handsome for an 80+ year old guy.

644574719_JcxUT-M.jpg

Every time I come to the ranch, longevity is the theme that is shouted to me every where I look. And then as we walked up the lane to the ranch, I asked Grandpa if he ever thought that he would live at the ranch his whole life, and he replied: "I never thought I would want to do anything else". To make it even more poignant, in the distance you can see the golden willows that were planted by my parents 2 years before I was born.

5. A friendship that last 60+ years is really something.

644588380_Ypf4H-L.jpg

6. We went for a drive up to see the view from an old church on the mountainside, and I just couldn't resist. I mean, really... could you?
644598161_UKJqB-L.jpg

7. Why is it that great friendships and a great sense of humor go hand in hand? Life is easier with a laugh.

644602476_bKdUb-L.jpg

644605857_W5Dzo-M.jpg

644607232_H8sj7-M.jpg

10 & 11.

644610167_MviZd-S.jpg644610691_J3NsE-S.jpg

These two have been involved in this community for their whole lives. Grandma is the head of the town's beautification comittee... and this flowerbed is her project for the year. She stops to pick a weed or two while she shows me her flowers. She tells me that she wishes I could visit for a week and help her make them even better.
644623866_uTUmm-M.jpg

13. The next day, we drive on up to the homestead ranch, to the cabin that grandpa built a few years back. I sneak a photo, and then grandpa looks up in surprise and says "What are you doing taking my picture? I don't have my hat on!"
644628832_gvHY9-L.jpg

Grandpa's favorite story about the new cabin is that the first fall after he built it, while wearing nothing but his underwear grandpa shot a huge elk from the front door.

644633552_stEEq-L.jpg

15. On the way back, we pass by the cabin that Grandpa was born in...

644642903_wguYM-L.jpg

Anyway... Proof enough. They really are the cutest grandparents on the planet. I am so proud to have them.

(C & C = me + :D)

Comments

• Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    that was a wonderful visit with your family - thank you for sharing it! The church is beautiful, thier smiles warm my heart and the cabin story too funny. I like all of them!
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    Really wonderful! A great series, and I like them all. 5,10 & 13 are my favorites.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I really liked the story and the pictures. Makes me miss my grandparents and wish I was this much into photography when they were alive:cry
    Courtney
  • Options
    PinkShoesRCoolPinkShoesRCool Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Ok, you've got my wheels turning. Next time I visit my grandparents, I'm making them let me take photos. These are amazing, I love how you captured the emotion & personality of your loved ones. My favs are 5, 7 & 13. Even without the backstory, I get it. Thanks!
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    This is a wonderful journal and some great shots. You must be so pleased to have been able to document so many things that are very very precious to your family. It makes me slightly sad that I wasn't as into photography while my grandparents were still alive, but maybe it's time to do some work with my parents (in their 70's) when I hopefully see them in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    Lots of good photos here (we should be surprised? bowdown.gif) it's hard to pick favorites. But I have to say I love 5 (I want to grow up to be just like him), 8 ('cause I'm a romatic softie), and 10 & 11 (humor).
    They really are the cutest grandparents on the planet. I am so proud to have them.
    And blessed as well!

Where in MT were you? Care to provide a list of the towns you visited? I'm from that neck of the woods and have family in Malta, Glasgow, Missoula, Billings, and Joliet.
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    Okay Heather, thanks for making me cry! iloveyou.gif It's too early for that. lol

This whole series is just wonderful. I love first two photos. The rest of the set is just too precious for my meger words. That set will be treasured for many years to come. Seriously....Awesome!
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    Wow, what a great series of shots and great story about each of your grandparents. I am sure you will cherish these photographs and memories for a lifetime.

Sorry I had to laugh when I was reading about your grandfather killing the elk while standing in the front door in just his underwear. So much for camoflauge. As I was reading I just a vision of that taking place and cracked up.

Again, great series and thanks for sharing!
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    6, 7, 10 & 11 are my favorites :)

Great shots, great story. So fortunate that they would let you take so many pictures!

Wonderful stories as well. Thank you so much for sharing! :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    I love the series. Great stuff.

In #6 did you use a reflector?
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    Yet another example of why I always love to see what you have posted. bowdown.gifiloveyou.gif Thanks for sharing.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    Thanks to all. I do feel like I have a treasure with these photos. Grandma Darlene kept saying that she wished she had a birthday gift for my birthday that is coming up... and I kept saying that I just felt so glad about the photos they let me take, that really no gift could compare. We had a great visit.

To Scott-
    I flew into Missoula and then drove from there.
    Grandma Betty lives in Ronan (near Polson, which is an hour from Missoula on 93)
    And John and Darlene live in Hall (which is near Drummond off of 90)
    The shots from the view were taken overlooking the Georgetown Dam, which is just past Phillipsburg.
    The wedding was in Big Fork, near Kalispell.

I was cracking myself up because every time I smelled a skunk (which was often) it would make me happy and glad. The smell of skunks = vacation / visiting grandparents since we don't have any skunks in Alaska.

JohnBiggs- No reflector. Actually fill was flash... I set it up on a rock nearby and used the STe2 to transmit. The light was coming from lower than I preferred, but still you take what you can get.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Another special glimpse into your world, Heather - always a treat. Thanks for sharing! bowdown.giflust
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    To Scott-
    I flew into Missoula and then drove from there.
    Grandma Betty lives in Ronan (near Polson, which is an hour from Missoula on 93)
    And John and Darlene live in Hall (which is near Drummond off of 90)
    The shots from the view were taken overlooking the Georgetown Dam, which is just past Phillipsburg.
    The wedding was in Big Fork, near Kalispell.

I was cracking myself up because every time I smelled a skunk (which was often) it would make me happy and glad. The smell of skunks = vacation / visiting grandparents since we don't have any skunks in Alaska.
    Wow, you were all over the place. I'm surprised you found time to press the shutter button!

As for the skunks - well, we used to call them "Black & White Kittys". And you always knew when one of them got "promoted" to roadkill eek7.gif
  • Options
    GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    FANTASTIC!! You really captured their personalities. I love them and I don't even know them. I want to live in that cabin too. Are they up for an adoption type deal by chance? :D

Mod edit: full post quote deleted
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    Awesome set, Heather. Truly special and beautiful. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography