Highland Meadow

davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
edited September 11, 2009 in Landscapes
Taken around 530AM in Colorado.

645193053_jtrHP-L.jpg

Taken at sunset-- same location as above...

558341058_e2cLP-L-1.jpg

A stormy afternoon...

563930366_pSLo8-L-1.jpg

The storm was thick with energy...

563928889_vLzhF-L-1.jpg

Your thoughts?

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    eek7.gif The last two are just FANTASTIC!

The first two ain't bad either but wow! Talk about great catches with your weather shots. Lighting AND sweet sunlight? Talk about the best of both worlds! How did you do that, or is #3 a blend of two shots? ear.gif
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    schmoo wrote:
    eek7.gif The last two are just FANTASTIC!

The first two ain't bad either but wow! Talk about great catches with your weather shots. Lighting AND sweet sunlight? Talk about the best of both worlds! How did you do that, or is #3 a blend of two shots? ear.gif

Hi Schmoo--

#3 was one of those "got lucky" shots. The lightning was consistent with this storm and frequent. The exposure eeeeer...I think about about 10 seconds, even with some density filters on (the sun was breaking through behind and lighting things up more and more). So I did what i could to keep the exposure longer to take in the scene. I took at least 60 photos... only one other had lightning in it-- the rest were a bust.

Thanks for the comments.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    Really nice light in those first two. But those last two are something.
  • BoutteBoutte Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    That last one is wonderful!
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    All great shots, but that last one is a true standout! Well done.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    The last two are my fav toos. especially the last photo has unbelievable depth and great clarity.
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    Thanks for the very kind comments.

A little background, at least, on the last photo-- this was the "backside" of a severe thunderstorm that was passing north of my location that had spawned several tornadoes in the Aurora, Colorado area (east of Denver) that damaged many homes and a big mall. It also spawned this gem.

646254850_LrBdB-L.jpg

It was only after the storm past just past due North of us when the sun began to flood back in and lit up the clouds in a very ominous way. The above photo was taken using a canon point-n-shoot. The cloud photo was on a canon xt with a 200MM lens.

We had lots of rain this summer, hence all the green. Colorado is normally quite dry and brown. The grass was greener, but it came with a high price.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    Wow very beautiful and stunning photographs
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery