Options

shooting parade--what lens/lenses?

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in Accessories
I will treat myself to a new Zuiko lens for my Olympus E620 this week and since I will be shooting a parade in October I need advise on what lens to get.

The really cool part is that I managed to get myself into the actual parade, so I will be shooting from inside the action! :ivar :ivar

It's a looooong parade, taking place at noon so who knows about lighting conditions --I will remember to use my lens hood though.
I am taking my 40-150mm and my 14-40 mm kit lenses.

These are the lenses I'm looking into:
1. Wide Angle pancake 17mm f2.8 lens for $299 (I like the sound of this because it's small)--Aside from a parade is this a useful lens that one can use often?

2. 35mm f3.5 1:1 macro ED Zuiko-This can obviously be used for Macro but also it says portraits, snapshots, landscape--according to the review anyway.

If you had to buy one of the above to shoot a parade but also as your next addition to two kit lenses, which one would you pick?

And if anyone has experience with these actual lenses can you offer any reviews.

I love the look of wide angle shots some post, but I don't know if the above is wide angle enough to achieve the look I see--it's not a super wide angle lens--as those start at around $500-out of my budget--so is it worth it?

Thank you to all who keep providing advise and encouragment--I am learning so much.
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    edited September 10, 2009
    I am taking my 40-150mm and my 14-40 mm kit lenses.

These are the lenses I'm looking into:
    1. Wide Angle pancake 17mm f2.8 lens for $299 (I like the sound of this because it's small--Aside from a parade is this a useful lens that one can use often?

Pancake lenses in general are very "stealthy" and can make your photography less intrusive. They do not generally represent the best lenses in a given system. In an outdoor situation a lens hood is still recommended which reduces the stealth advantage of the lens.

You already have the 17mm focal length covered in your 14-40mm kit lens so this would not necessarily give you too much advantage overall.

I do like pancake lenses for what they do so I'm not saying not to get this, but it would not be a first recommendation for a parade.

2. 35mm f3.5 1:1 macro ED Zuiko-This can obviously be used for Macro but also it says portraits, snapshots, landscape--according to the review anyway.

A very high quality optic, but somewhat limited use for a parade in that it will be somewhat long for a broadside shot of a float, for instance.

For a daytime parade I think the 2 kit lenses you have should work pretty well. You might want an even wider view for some of the action, so maybe a super-wide-angle zoom might be indicated:

Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm, F4.0 (very expensive)
    Zuiko Digital ED 11-22mm, F2.8-3.5
    Sigma 10-20mm, f4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:

Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm, F4.0 (very expensive)
    Zuiko Digital ED 11-22mm, F2.8-3.5
    Sigma 10-20mm, f4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Thanks for your reply Ziggy

Ok the first two are out of my budget, but I can swing the third, now let me ask you this.
    Knowing what lenses are in my arsenal (I say arsenal with a smile on my face) what do you recommend as a third lens, would an amateur get more out of a ultra wide or the macro/portrait lens.

Also as far as the pancake lens goes it's not for stealth reasons really as much as the convenience of carrying the small lens once I start lugging around more equipment.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    Thanks for your reply Ziggy

Ok the first two are out of my budget, but I can swing the third, now let me ask you this.
    Knowing what lenses are in my arsenal (I say arsenal with a smile on my face) what do you recommend as a third lens, would an amateur get more out of a ultra wide or the macro/portrait lens.

Also as far as the pancake lens goes it's not for stealth reasons really as much as the convenience of carrying the small lens once I start lugging around more equipment.

I can only speak to my own needs, because I don't know your needs, but I need the super-wide zoom way more often than I need a macro. If you want/need to do portraiture the Zuiko Digital 35mm, F3.5 Macro is a fairly good length for a Four-Thirds camera, but the aperture and nature of the format imply that you still don't have very good DOF control. (It would take a pretty fair distance from subject to background to get nice bokeh.) There are probably better options for portraits IOW.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I can only speak to my own needs, because I don't know your needs, but I need the super-wide zoom way more often than I need a macro. If you want/need to do portraiture the Zuiko Digital 35mm, F3.5 Macro is a fairly good length for a Four-Thirds camera, but the aperture and nature of the format imply that you still don't have very good DOF control. (It would take a pretty fair distance from subject to background to get nice bokeh.) There are probably better options for portraits IOW.

Other than having to look up what IOW meant, I get what you are saying--looks like my next lens will be a super wide-:ivar

Gracias Ziggy.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    I prefer shooting parades with a big fast tele lens. People will always smile
    and look at me when I take their picture and the background gets nicely
    blurred by the large aperature. I'm talking 70-200mm f2.8, not sure if Oly
    has somehting like that .. they should, right?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    A word of warning: The 17mm pancake lens is actually a micro-four thirds lens, and will not work on an E620.
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2009
    run_kmc wrote:
    A word of warning: The 17mm pancake lens is actually a micro-four thirds lens, and will not work on an E620.

Good to know, thank you.
    You saved me some serious aggravation.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I prefer shooting parades with a big fast tele lens. People will always smile
    and look at me when I take their picture and the background gets nicely
    blurred by the large aperature. I'm talking 70-200mm f2.8, not sure if Oly
    has somehting like that .. they should, right?

I've decided to rent a lens for the parade since I don't know what I want my next big lens purchase to be.

I like the sound of blurred backgrounds and nice sharp subjects.

In the meantime, I made a rash purchase of a lensbaby muse with wideangle (free) lens. :) Prob not handy for a parade, but I'm taking it in my backpack anyway, you never know.
    Thanks Manfr3d.
    Liz A.
    _________