Options

Canada Day Fireworks - near Ottawa

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited July 4, 2005 in Holy Macro
Here is a picture I got last night. I like it cept for some of the red parts.
26878306-M.jpg
http://gerrydavid.smugmug.com/photos/26878306-L.jpg
3 seconds @ F2.8 - iso100, roughly 100mm after convertion

And since im posting here is another one. Its actually 2 pictures combined. I liked the fireworks of one picture, but the people on the bottom were partially cut off. I had another picture that showed more of the bottom but the fireworks wasnt all that great, so I used the best parts of both.
26878310-M.jpg
http://gerrydavid.smugmug.com/photos/26878310-L.jpg
3 seconds @ F2.8 - iso100, roughly 35mm after convertion.

full gallery
http://gerrydavid.smugmug.com/gallery/631717/1/26878310

Im not sure if this is the right category, but it seemed to fit the best.

Comments

• Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    Ahh the man with the tricky name. Is it Gerry or David? :~)

I really liked the ones with the people in the photos. It made clear the massive size of the fireworks. Still learning this one myself! 3 seconds eh?
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    Nice Gerry! thumb.gif Where were these taken btw? Thanks for sharing!

AJ
  • Options
    Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    Nice work, Gerry
    I checked out your Smugmug gallery and left a couple of comments.

One suggestion for another time: Try your f-stop between f/5.6 and f/8 - preferably f/8. You will get better-defined streamers with less haloing. I tried f/8 last year and f/5.6 this year and I prefer the image quality of the bursts from last year.
    -Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
    - Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2005
    Netgarden wrote:
    Ahh the man with the tricky name. Is it Gerry or David? :~)

I really liked the ones with the people in the photos. It made clear the massive size of the fireworks. Still learning this one myself! 3 seconds eh?
    Gerry is my first name. :0) Im not fully comfortable giving my last name online *since im really easy to track down that way since theres only like 3 results on canada411 with my name for ontario* so I added my middle name, well one of my middle names. So GerryDavid. :0)

The reason why I used 3 seconds was cuz its what my camera does in night mode. If I was using a real slr camera Id probably put it on bulb or 30 seconds, compose and cover the lense till the fireworks set off.
    MuskyDude wrote:
    Nice Gerry! thumb.gif Where were these taken btw? Thanks for sharing!

AJ
    Not to far from you *thinks your in Ottawa*. :0)
    I checked out your Smugmug gallery and left a couple of comments.

One suggestion for another time: Try your f-stop between f/5.6 and f/8 - preferably f/8. You will get better-defined streamers with less haloing. I tried f/8 last year and f/5.6 this year and I prefer the image quality of the bursts from last year.
    I tried to take the pictures in aperature priority and it wouldnt let me focus at even F8.something so I had to switch over to night mode which uses F2.8. for some reason it was able to focus *at least half hte time, most of the other half it was near focus but not exactly, and then some are way off*.

I really look forward to getting the Rebel XT, and then the 20d when im able to. Like the ability to prefocus and not have to worry about that. This time I had to focus on one set of fireworks, and then use that focus for the next set of fireworks.

Thanks for all the comments. :0)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited July 4, 2005
    Couldn't help myself:

Nice fireworks too...

O Canada!
    Our home and native land!
    True patriot love in all thy sons command.
    With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
    The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    Manual mode?
    I tried to take the pictures in aperature priority and it wouldnt let me focus at even F8.something so I had to switch over to night mode which uses F2.8. for some reason it was able to focus *at least half hte time, most of the other half it was near focus but not exactly, and then some are way off*.

I really look forward to getting the Rebel XT, and then the 20d when im able to. Like the ability to prefocus and not have to worry about that. This time I had to focus on one set of fireworks, and then use that focus for the next set of fireworks.

Thanks for all the comments. :0)
    Do you have a complete Manual mode with manual or preset focusing? If so, pre-setting the focus at infinity would have sufficed for that. If you have a manual mode for the rest of the settings, f/5.6 or f/8 and an exposure time of 5 secs would have been a good starting point...
    -Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
    - Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2005
    Do you have a complete Manual mode with manual or preset focusing? If so, pre-setting the focus at infinity would have sufficed for that. If you have a manual mode for the rest of the settings, f/5.6 or f/8 and an exposure time of 5 secs would have been a good starting point...
    Nope, no manual focus on this camera, and no manual or shutter priority, just aperature priority or picture modes like night scene, action, portrait, etc. And the max shutter speed is 3 seconds.

Just some more reasons that Im really wanting the xt, hehe. My goal is to get one this spring, probably when Amazon gets another promotion going on, like $50 off $500 or more, $100 off $1000 or more, or like the one they just had, 20% off your entire order. Then try to get 3 weddings to pay for the camera and a couple more to pay for the accessories. :0) It was my goal to do that this year since I was suppose to move in May, but that has been pushed back 3 months to the fall and I dont know exactly when im moving so I cant schedule weddings for this year.