New Orleans sunsets.

BoutteBoutte Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited September 11, 2009 in Landscapes
Ok, Im new here and definitely intimidated by the quality of work I see here. I recently bought my first SLR in 20 years and am still trying to figure it all out. After seeing the level of excellence displayed on this site I decided I wouldn't be posting pics here because you guys are on a different level.

But it's just not in my nature not to participate so here's what I got. :D

This first one was shot with a Kodak point and shoot so it's a little grainy.
1skyaDgrin.jpg

This one of my first efforts with the new camera. Taken from Lakeshore Drive in New Orleans.
sereneIMG_2690SmGdrin.jpg

And a little later the same day.
Aug82009012b.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Whoah, these are great so don't be intimidated! Welcome to Dgrin and these are fantastic sunsets from a beautiful location. I certainly hope to keep seeing more shots from you around here thumb.gif
  • BoutteBoutte Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    Thank you Schmoo. I checked out your website. Great stuff there.
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    I agree that these are great shots. Colorful, dramatic skies thumb.gif
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    Nice captures! Thanks for sharing them.

For the first one, the yellow at the center looks like it's almost blown out. And the black along the bottom doesn't add much for me.

I like sunsets to have a more panoramic feel to them (personal oddity I freely admit). So, just to see what would happen, I toned down the highlights in the first pic and cropped it for a fairly wide aspect ratio.

I hate losing the great color at the top so when I do this for my own shots, I end up processing the picture both ways (normal size with all the sky I can get and short-but-wide for the pano feel).

I've attached the results just to show what else might be possible (working with just what was posted...if you're shooting raw, you can do far more if you're interested)...
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    Yea, just toning #1 down a bit and the cropping has made it a much more stricking photo. Boy the sky really fired up nice for you in the last image.

well done.
  • BoutteBoutte Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    Thwack wrote:
    Nice captures! Thanks for sharing them.

For the first one, the yellow at the center looks like it's almost blown out. And the black along the bottom doesn't add much for me.

I like sunsets to have a more panoramic feel to them (personal oddity I freely admit). So, just to see what would happen, I toned down the highlights in the first pic and cropped it for a fairly wide aspect ratio.

I hate losing the great color at the top so when I do this for my own shots, I end up processing the picture both ways (normal size with all the sky I can get and short-but-wide for the pano feel).

I've attached the results just to show what else might be possible (working with just what was posted...if you're shooting raw, you can do far more if you're interested)...
    You're right. I like it. Unfortunately the camera I used for that shoot doesn't shoot raw.
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    Boutte wrote:
    You're right. I like it. Unfortunately the camera I used for that shoot doesn't shoot raw.

RAW makes it easier to tweak things after the shooting is over, but there's still a fair amount that can be done without it (the tweaks above were done to the non-RAW pic you posted). It's always worth trying. :D
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    Welcome! Your photos are beautiful, so keep posting!
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    Very nice sunset shots.

Looking forward to more of your work thumb.gif
    Randy