33 - Mediocre idea 1

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 16, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
On the grounds it will probably take me more than one try :rofl

I was trying for something I could call "Domestic Propeller", but I'm thinking this would do better as "Casablanca".

My feelings won't be hurt if y'all think it completely sucks. I'm feeling extremely bereft of post-processing........

645667265_ckDEH-L.jpg

645667477_wN6cC-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Heh, heh, heh. I have some similar shots on my camera! Go for it. I was also playing around using the multi-strobe function on my strobe to get multiple flashes. See if you like any of those results. I have another, more sinister, plan I'm trying to work on....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    Motion is there. Not that mediocre., I think I like 1 the best
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    Divamum,
    I like how you just lower our expectations with that titlerolleyes1.gif .

I don't think it's a mediocre idea at all.
    I like the look of the first one better, the crop of it--I'm not sure about the rule of thirds on this--but I like how it takes up more of the frame.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Thanks all. I may keep working on it since it didn't actually shatter mirrors or results in the dreaded "600 views 0 responses" hall of shame rolleyes1.gif
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Heh, heh, heh. I have some similar shots on my camera! Go for it. I was also playing around using the multi-strobe function on my strobe to get multiple flashes. See if you like any of those results. I have another, more sinister, plan I'm trying to work on....

Andrew, can you elaborate? Do you mean using high speed synch... and if so, can that be used in combination with a lower shutter speed??! That piques my interest.... :D
    If you have a canon speedlite 5xx series (this likely is available on a bunch of strobes, but I don't have them, so I can't be sure), there are 3 modes:

1) E-TTL
    2) Multi
    3) Manual

Multi allows you to specify the number of pulses, the intensity of the pulses, and the frequency of the pulses. So if you set the frequency to 100Hz and 10 pulses, that's 1/10sec exposure. The net result you can end up with is something that looks like a lot of fanblades, not just the 4 with the standard motion blur.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    adbsgicom wrote:
    If you have a canon speedlite 5xx series (this likely is available on a bunch of strobes, but I don't have them, so I can't be sure), there are 3 modes:

1) E-TTL
    2) Multi
    3) Manual

Multi allows you to specify the number of pulses, the intensity of the pulses, and the frequency of the pulses. So if you set the frequency to 100Hz and 10 pulses, that's 1/10sec exposure. The net result you can end up with is something that looks like a lot of fanblades, not just the 4 with the standard motion blur.

Phooey - I only have a 430 and 420 ex, so no go. Ah well!
    Try taking one of your flashes and manually firing it. Have your camera-mounted flash either in manual and dial it down to under expose (or use TTL and set the FEC to -2EV or there abouts). Set the second one in manual and set the power to 1/8 for starters. Try having your faithful assistant fire the strobe when you say go and see if you can get two pulses just a bit seperated from each other. It may enhance the effect. Just a thought.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Try taking one of your flashes and manually firing it. Have your camera-mounted flash either in manual and dial it down to under expose (or use TTL and set the FEC to -2EV or there abouts). Set the second one in manual and set the power to 1/8 for starters. Try having your faithful assistant fire the strobe when you say go and see if you can get two pulses just a bit seperated from each other. It may enhance the effect. Just a thought.

OOooo... you've just given me an idea... Not sure that either of mine will fire by hand (if so, where's the button?) but i have a REALLY old flash that I've used that way before. I'll play with that which could be fun! Tx for the idea thumb.gif
    divamum wrote:
    OOooo... you've just given me an idea... Not sure that either of mine will fire by hand (if so, where's the button?) but i have a REALLY old flash that I've used that way before. I'll play with that which could be fun! Tx for the idea thumb.gif

Remember me when you are at your first photography book signing....:D

Hopefully I didn't just make you think of my idea for what I'm working on....

If your 430/20 is at all like the 550, the little light that comes on to tell you it is ready can be pressed to make it fire. If it is in e-ttl mode, it will fire at minimum intensity (1/128), but if you move it to manual and dial in the power you want (say 1/8) it will test fire at that strength.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    Hi Diva,

Great idea! I really, really LOVE #1! thumb.gif
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited September 12, 2009
    Theme and variations... (and TX Andrew - I had no idea that the red light was also a button - yes, I had read the manual, but somehow I missed that!!! thumb.gifs)

I like the abstract quality, although not sure I like it without the light on. I may try again later to see if I can create something similar, but WITH the central glow of light (although that gets trickier because in the nature of manually popping the flash "paint with light" style, it's not an exact science.... rolleyes1.gif)

647094328_nMwP6-L.jpg
  • sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    This is an interesting shot but I really like #1 with the light on. Cool shots!

-Steve
    Annndd.... another attempt. (Would need a different title as well and all I can think of is "Fan Flower" which is pretty banal...)

647332446_vtt8e-L.jpg
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    I still like the very first image you posted. Camera dust isn't there to distract either :-)
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

Whoops sbarge... you posted while I was typing! THanks for the feedback. I prefer the light on too, and would really like to get the strobed effect with the globe lit, but so far I've had zero luck - even though I'm shooting manual, I just can't get the flash and ambient to balance without overexposing (or the flash not registering enough and thus not giving me the strobed blades). Hmmm....headscratch.gif
    I still like the very first image you posted. Camera dust isn't there to distract either :-)

Wow, my day to be typing while others respond... lol3.gif

YEah, the dust bunnies are a problem. I even cleaned my sensor after the first batch because there were some REALLY bad ones. I don't usually stop down enough to notice them but on this batch.... yowzers rolleyes1.gif
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    I gotta go with #1.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Annndd.... another attempt. (Would need a different title as well and all I can think of is "Fan Flower" which is pretty banal...)

Hey, just dipped into this this after a couple of days and you know what. I like the new ones and I immediately saw eyes in the centre of the fan. :D Totally insane, but it looks like a bug landed in the centre of the fan and then someone turned it on... The bug's likely saying "Oh sh***" eek7.gif:D

Or you could simply call it "Dizzy." :skippy
    edited September 14, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Hey, just dipped into this this after a couple of days and you know what. I like the new ones and I immediately saw eyes in the centre of the fan. :D Totally insane, but it looks like a bug landed in the centre of the fan and then someone turned it on... The bug's likely saying "Oh sh***" eek7.gif:D

Or you could simply call it "Dizzy." :skippy

Ha! That's exactly what my daughter said (about the eyes, I mean).

I have another maybe-kinda-sorta idea percolating; we'll see if that comes to fruition. In the meantime, thanks for the feedback! thumb.gif
    I may be partial to the new technique, but I think it is more visually interesting that the original. The bug-eyes are cool as well. I think they both imply movement, but the second set is something more unusual.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    I definitely like your original #1. Nice contrast! thumb.gif
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Good entry - love the title! thumb.gif

Add your user name.
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    Good entry - love the title! thumb.gif

Add your user name.

Whoops! Thanks. That's the 2nd time I've forgotten to add my name...:rolleyes1.gif11doh.gif
    Love it.thumb.gif
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    Thanks! The thing that bugs me about it still is that I couldn't get rid of the shadow against the ceiling - the only way I could think of doing that AND strobing would be if I had a ring flash. But I don't, and I didn't have time to try and jerry-rig a homemade one this week so... I'm trying to live with it :D

I keep hoping I may get a chance to try one of my other ideas, although SOOC it'll be tricky even if I do get the chance. We'll see....
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    Hey Divamum!
    I just saw your post in the gallery and I love how your idea turned out. :D Good job! The pull chains look like eyes giving your abstract some real personality.

Good luck!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Diva, I really like the concept and the title (Casablanca), but I think you can do a lot better. I would also recommend trying color. Maybe some smokey filled room with the fan on very slowly and a longer exposure.deal.gif:D
    edited September 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Diva, I really like the concept and the title (Casablanca), but I think you can do a lot better. I would also recommend trying color. Maybe some smokey filled room with the fan on very slowly and a longer exposure.deal.gif:D

Thanks Dan thumb.gif I'm still not remotely satisfied with it either, and consider the current entry a marker more than anything else; if I have time, I'm hoping to come up with a couple of completely different alternatives by Sunday, but we'll see!!