My First Post

Dancer72Dancer72 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited September 14, 2009 in People
This is a shot that I took of my son playing out in the backyard, just a fleeting look...probably dreaming about flying in a plane or a rocket knowing him...but since it only lasted a moment, I feel VERY lucky to have captured it. I've just recently started to get more serious about photography and am trying to hone my skills, so all C&C welcome!

EDIT: Added edited version

Thanks!
Caroline
645663919_4w6g8-L.jpg

Edited version of photo:
648715008_D2CDv-L.jpg
Caroline Brogen

Member: PPA, PPAM
Gallery: http://photos.brogen.com/Public-Gallery/Carolines-Gallery

Comments

• PhotosbyKWPhotosbyKW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2009
    Hey, I like it. Welcome aboard.
    Consistantly Inconsistant.

www.PhotosbyKW.smugmug.com
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    Welcome to dgrin Caroline & I love the boken in this shot.

Take Care,
    Charles,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    Great shot of you child. The photo needs more contrast, looks a bit muddy.(too much gray)
  • Dancer72Dancer72 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    Hackbone wrote:
    Great shot of you child. The photo needs more contrast, looks a bit muddy.(too much gray)

Thanks for the feedback PhotosbyKW, Charles & Hackbone...much appreciated!

Hackbone - I am new to the fine tuning of b&w...any pointers on how to get rid of the muddy look, or is it just trial & error when adjusting the color levels. Would appreciate any advice you might have.
    Caroline Brogen

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited September 11, 2009
    Dancer72 wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback PhotosbyKW, Charles & Hackbone...much appreciated!

Hackbone - I am new to the fine tuning of b&w...any pointers on how to get rid of the muddy look, or is it just trial & error when adjusting the color levels. Would appreciate any advice you might have.

Not sure what software you are using, but the first thing you need to do is set proper white and black points. That will increase the contrast considerably. In Photoshop, you could also fine tune it with curves and there are other more advanced techniques as well. If you are using Lightroom, you could increase the brightness and clarity, raise the blacks and change the tone curve.

I like the dreamy expression. Nice capture.
    Richard wrote:
    Not sure what software you are using, but the first thing you need to do is set proper white and black points. That will increase the contrast considerably. In Photoshop, you could also fine tune it with curves and there are other more advanced techniques as well. If you are using Lightroom, you could increase the brightness and clarity, raise the blacks and change the tone curve.

I like the dreamy expression. Nice capture.

Richard:

Thanks so much for the tips..I am using Photoshop so will definitely go back in and do as you say about setting the proper b&w points as well as playing with the curves, then post a revised shot.

I appreciate the help!
    Caroline
    Caroline Brogen

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    Richard beat me to it. His advice is excellent. Go to your levels, then find the box that says Input levels. Take the small triangle on the left and move it to the right 5 to 10 points. Digital photography tends to be flat as a general statement and raising the black point is accepted as the first step in correcting this.

Just a very quick black point plus the right triangle and then a contrast with brightness added.

[img][/img]646066642_EiBgV-L.jpg
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    I lmiove capturing moments like that.. they are so fleeting you are lucky to have captured it. I used to mess with the RBG in the photos to get the muddy out... but now i use "gradiant map" to convert my images to B&w.. if it needs more punch then i increase the dark levels. welcome aboard!!!
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
    Hackbone wrote:
    Richard beat me to it. His advice is excellent. Go to your levels, then find the box that says Input levels. Take the small triangle on the left and move it to the right 5 to 10 points. Digital photography tends to be flat as a general statement and raising the black point is accepted as the first step in correcting this.

Just a very quick black point plus the right triangle and then a contrast with brightness added.

[img][/img]646066642_EiBgV-L.jpg

Charles:

Thanks so much for the tips and the sample for comparison when I go back in and redo the photo...I REALLY appreciate the help!

Will repost the image once I make adjustments for you to look at & comment.

Thanks again,
    Caroline Brogen

MissB wrote:
    I lmiove capturing moments like that.. they are so fleeting you are lucky to have captured it. I used to mess with the RBG in the photos to get the muddy out... but now i use "gradiant map" to convert my images to B&w.. if it needs more punch then i increase the dark levels. welcome aboard!!!

Miss B:

Will give this option a try on adjusting the b&w as well to try and eliminate the muddy effect. Thanks for taking the time to comment; I appreciate all feedback.

and Thanks for the warm welcome!
    Caroline Brogen

edited September 13, 2009
    Added edited version of shot (side by side with the original post for comparison). Again C&C most welcome.

Thank you all for your advice & tips!
    Caroline Brogen

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited September 14, 2009
    Dancer72 wrote:
    Added edited version of shot (side by side with the original post for comparison). Again C&C most welcome.

Thank you all for your advice & tips!

Big improvement. thumb.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Dancer72 wrote:
    This is a shot that I took of my son playing out in the backyard, just a fleeting look...probably dreaming about flying in a plane or a rocket knowing him...
    The funny thing is, I have a very similar shot somewhere of myself. And I was probably dreaming about the same things. Tell him those dreams can turn reality, they did for me.
    Richard wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

The original does look a bit flat and slightly underexposed, but the edit is much nicer. The focus seems slightly off (just a tad, his right shoulder seems a bit more in focus instead of his face), but it's not bothering me, really. If you wanted you could slightly blur the right side of his shirt a bit. Not sure if it is worth the effort, though. It really is a nice capture.
    Richard wrote:

Thanks for the kind words...means alot coming from u! :D

Also, thanks again for your guidance; it helped quite a bit as I reprocessed, and reprocessed to loose the muddy look. Will keep your advice in mind for future b&w shots.
    Caroline Brogen

ivar wrote:
    The funny thing is, I have a very similar shot somewhere of myself. And I was probably dreaming about the same things. Tell him those dreams can turn reality, they did for me.

15524779-Ti.gif

The original does look a bit flat and slightly underexposed, but the edit is much nicer. The focus seems slightly off (just a tad, his right shoulder seems a bit more in focus instead of his face), but it's not bothering me, really. If you wanted you could slightly blur the right side of his shirt a bit. Not sure if it is worth the effort, though. It really is a nice capture.

Ivar:

I'll give that a try on the shoulder blur to see how it makes a difference in focusing on his face. Starting to really see major effects when inadvertently shifting the focal point, even slightly, when shooting in RAW...Plus I can ALWAYS use the postprocessing practice!

Thanks for taking the time to look & comment.
    Caroline Brogen