D90

Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
edited September 11, 2009 in Cameras
I am planning on getting a D90, can anyone tell me anything about it?

I was going to get a D300 but the price turned me off after I saw the 90.
If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson

Comments

• bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    Currently shooting a D90, but there's so much to tell!

Anything specific you want to know? I could copy a spec sheet here, but that's not really anything special. I'm happy to tell you my experiences, but they vary widely based on what you want to photograph!

Let me know what your concerned or curious about, and I'll either tell you what I know, or go out and try what you're saying so I have something to say! :D

Overall, I love my D90...People say that lenses are priceless, but I'm not gonna lie, upgrading my D40 to a D90 with grip has made a huge difference in my retainer rate!

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    You might consider hanging on for an old stock D300. Nikon have recently released the D300s and that might force dealers to lower the prices of the older D300 just to get them off the shelves. Another option would be to look around for a used D300 with a low shutter count…

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    Anything specific you want to know? ~Nick

Is the WB accurate? How is the speed? How is the noise in low light high ISO and Good light with high ISO? You know the red triangle thing on the grip when you are looking at it from the front, what is the little wheel type thing above it?

That should do for nowmwink.gif

Thanks!

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
    Wil Davis wrote:
    You might consider hanging on for an old stock D300. Nikon have recently released the D300s and that might force dealers to lower the prices of the older D300 just to get them off the shelves. Another option would be to look around for a used D300 with a low shutter count…

- Wil

I did look and I did find one....But I am not to keen on getting a second hand camera...Second hand lenses are fine for me:D Thanks for the suggestion though!

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Is the WB accurate? How is the speed? How is the noise in low light high ISO and Good light with high ISO? You know the red triangle thing on the grip when you are looking at it from the front, what is the little wheel type thing above it?

That should do for nowmwink.gif

Thanks!

I have D90, it's great.

WB is fine from what I've seen. I honestly don't pay much attention to it since I shoot in RAW and it's very easy to tweak later.

ISO noise is very good up to 1600. 3200 is salvageable with some noise reduction and 6400 IMO is only an absolute last resort, and even then I'd make it B&W. As far as high ISO's go, it's on par with the D300/s, which means it's as good as any crop sensor Nikon. The D700 and D3/x are obviously much better. The D90 is way better than older cameras like the D80/70/60/50/40 and the D200.

Any camera will have much more noise at high ISO's if the image is underexposed. Expose well and much of the noise will disappear.

The front wheel adjusts aperture, and there's a rear wheel that adjusts shutter speed. It's much nicer than the one-wheel system that I had on my old D40.

I would suggest getting the D90 unless you're going to be doing primarily sports shooting. The D300's 51 pt autofocus is, to me, the biggest advantage it has over the D90. If you're not shooting sports all the time, you probably won't miss it. Even with the D90 I've shot some HS basketball and football, and I still get great results. The D300 would just ensure a higher percentage of "keepers" in terms of focus. I believe it shoots at a faster frame rate as well, so that's another advantage.

For landscapes, portraits, etc, the D90 will do just as well and save you a lot of money that you can spend on glass.
    Thanks Tim Kamppinen! So, it sounds like I will be very safe for me to get the D90!

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    Aw damn, just because I decided to sleep, Tim beat me to the punch!

In regards to sports shooting, I will certainly say it's not hard to get good shots with the D90. I do agree, the 51 pt AF would really kick butt, but you're not gonna miss that many shots with the AF on the D90.

I recently shot a night soccer game here at my college and actually made the school paper with my shot, so certainly feasible to do sports. I'd only go with the D300 for SOLELY sports shooting. Otherwise, the D90 is a better camera for your price range, and it's versatile.

The image below is the one I submitted to the newspaper, and it's ISO 1600, 1/500th, and f/2.8. I can't remember whether I pushed exposure in PP (probably did, because I'm bad at getting it right in camera), so noise might be a bit high.

877958716.jpg
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures