A Photo In the Making

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited September 12, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I was down at the Susquehanna River at the ferryboat landing, waiting for the sun to set, and this guy walked up in front of me to get some shots of the ferryboat as it was leaving, and thought the way the sun was hitting him looked rather interesting, so I grabbed a shot. What does everyone think? I couldn't decide on how to crop it, so I left it as shot. Would this look better if cropped both right and left of the ferryboat and make it a portrait? Or go further yet and crop some off the top and make it square?

644200167_gd42B-L.jpg

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    I like the simplicity of it, a person taking a pic of someone taking a pic.thumb.gif
    I'll leave any technical stuff up to others.
    Since I'm not very technical.headscratch.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    Personally (not professionally), if you were a little off to the side I think you might have captured him taking the picture a bit more (not totally certain). Still it is a nice capture.

-a
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    I think as is is good enough. Like the detail in the river to the left. The little
    ripples wheres it is more shallow. The mist on the river to the left in nice
    also. Would love to see the ferry have been more left in the frame too.
    Where it is at now I don't think is its best placement for highest impact. :D
    Michael
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. I appreciate it! After reading both Andrew's and DaddyO's comments, I looked at my photo again and seen what you guys were saying. If I had been further to the left, not only would have I gotten more of the guys face and seen more of the camera to his eye, I could have also gotten all of the ferryboat in the shot with some water ahead of it, and eliminated the space to the right of the tree. The next time I go down there for more photos, I might get my one friend to pose for me so I can try this again. I might even try some other angles, like from the bottom of the hill looking up at the photographer, and hopefully capture the colors of the fall leaves. Thanks again guys!!!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams