Dark stairs + strobe =

The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
edited September 24, 2009 in People
And one from today, more to come later - but it's almost 2am....

To read the hilarious story that occurred earlier, read my blog http://eric-mack.blogspot.com lets just say, some people are funny at first, then turn annoying quick.

Click for flickr..
3909058730_a6a521cc9d_o.jpg

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    I like what you've posted so far Erik.

Nice the way her arm shadows are leading lines, right to your subject thumb.gif
    Randy
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    I agree...very cool!!!
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    Thank you, I appreciate it ;)
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Very cool image. Nice use of the light and the shadow.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    I agree with liking this image.

I think it would be even better with a 2nd snooted flash throwing some light into her face and upper torso perhaps. Not full strength, but maybe 1 stop under exposed, rather than just a black outline. Cross lighting rather than back lighting, maybe?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    pathfinder wrote:
    I agree with liking this image.

I think it would be even better with a 2nd snooted flash throwing some light into her face and upper torso perhaps. Not full strength, but maybe 1 stop under exposed, rather than just a black outline. Cross lighting rather than back lighting, maybe?

Thanks. I'll make a note and snoot a flash next time for her face. I had left the snoot at home this time.

To read the hilarious story that occurred earlier, read my blog http://eric-mack.blogspot.com lets just say, some people are funny at first, then turn annoying quick.
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    I've never done anything like this before so i don't know what to add.. all i can say is that i really like it! nice work!
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
    MissB wrote:
    I've never done anything like this before so i don't know what to add.. all i can say is that i really like it! nice work!
    That's all you need to say, thanks!
    I also fan'd you're fb page
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    Cool shot... but what I'm wondering is this... in the celebrity golf post, is the last photo of Terry O'Quinn (aka John Locke from LOST)?
    Cool shot... but what I'm wondering is this... in the celebrity golf post, is the last photo of Terry O'Quinn (aka John Locke from LOST)?
    Yes it is. Took several photos of him and talked with him for about 20 minutes. Very nice guy.
    Here is one more from yesterday's shoot.. I'd say I have about 5-6 more that will wind up online, with another shoot Sunday...

Thoughts? Click for flickr/info
    3910983642_854155dd0e_o.jpg
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    The Mack wrote:
    Here is one more from yesterday's shoot.. I'd say I have about 5-6 more that will wind up online, with another shoot Sunday...

Thoughts? Click for flickr/info

I think you need to adjust the WB... the skin tones aren't looking very good, at least on my monitor. Very pale and sickly looking. I'd warm it up.
    Yeah, I'm gonna go down and edit it up a little bit.
    I think you need to adjust the WB... the skin tones aren't looking very good, at least on my monitor. Very pale and sickly looking. I'd warm it up.
  • Kayaking-N-SCKayaking-N-SC Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    A really nice shot. The only thing I find a bit distracting is the bar thru her head. :D
    Thomas
    Columbia, SC

Canon 5DmkII / 40D / 24-105 F4 L / LensBaby Composer

TLKPhotos.SmugMug.com
  • bbeck4x4bbeck4x4 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    I like the shot, any chance of removing the bar that is behind her head? Great writeup on the blog
    Brian Beck
    Spanish Fork, Utah 84660- 360 Virtual Tours - Landscapes
    Google + Facebook Website
    bbeck4x4 wrote:
    I like the shot, any chance of removing the bar that is behind her head? Great writeup on the blog
    Yeah, possibly tonight before I head out for drinks.
  • BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    Stairwell shot is great - tone, lighting and shadow lines... Looking forward to more of those.
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited September 23, 2009
    Last one from the first shoot w/ Michelle,

Click for view on black, looks better.
    3946899715_c007bd9d6e.jpg

One I posted up earlier...
    3937043397_f3a823c4f7.jpg
  • bbeck4x4bbeck4x4 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    looking very good, I like themthumb.gif
    Brian Beck
    Spanish Fork, Utah 84660- 360 Virtual Tours - Landscapes
    Google + Facebook Website
    edited September 24, 2009
    Sir Mack,

I'm hoping you can share some info with me regarding a decision I'm making. (and, anybody else reading this with opinions can toss in some thoughts - it would be appreciated)

Here's my question/situation... I'm just starting into flash photography - just starting as in I've never done it and I'm deciding what equipment to buy. Based on my readings and study of a few thousand images (your stairwell shot a prime example) I'm stuck between The 'Strobist.com' approach - i.e., on camera flashes used off camera with smaller diffusers, softboxes, etc, or going the studio light approach, in which case I'm leaning towards the Alien Bees.

If you have a few minutes to spare, do you have any thoughts on which approach is the better of the two? I see your AB800 shot and wonder if I could ever get that with an on camera flash unit or if you had to turn down the AB to a point where an on camera flash would do the same. My other thought is portability... what type of AB system do you have which enables you to get it out into the city on location. Portability is the main reason I'm considering the 'Strobist' Approach.

Whew... Hope that's not overload for you, but any info you share will be a big help. I AM overloaded with all the info I've read and I'm looking for any thoughts that may get me off the fence...

Thanks for any info you can provide. John
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Hi Eric,

The first one you posted is my favorite of the bunch. It just seems to work best for some reason. I do agree with PF though that a hint of light on her might have been nice, although you never know for sure until you try! Do you happen to have one where she is not touching the walls (but almost touching the walls)?

The one with the bench is nice even though she does seem a bit pale, but I am just not a fan of the sunglasses.

The second b/w you posted I like but I'm not sure about the silhouette almost blending in with the black of the sky.
    Brody wrote:
    Sir Mack,

I'm hoping you can share some info with me regarding a decision I'm making. (and, anybody else reading this with opinions can toss in some thoughts - it would be appreciated)

Here's my question/situation... I'm just starting into flash photography - just starting as in I've never done it and I'm deciding what equipment to buy. Based on my readings and study of a few thousand images (your stairwell shot a prime example) I'm stuck between The 'Strobist.com' approach - i.e., on camera flashes used off camera with smaller diffusers, softboxes, etc, or going the studio light approach, in which case I'm leaning towards the Alien Bees.

If you have a few minutes to spare, do you have any thoughts on which approach is the better of the two? I see your AB800 shot and wonder if I could ever get that with an on camera flash unit or if you had to turn down the AB to a point where an on camera flash would do the same. My other thought is portability... what type of AB system do you have which enables you to get it out into the city on location. Portability is the main reason I'm considering the 'Strobist' Approach.

Whew... Hope that's not overload for you, but any info you share will be a big help. I AM overloaded with all the info I've read and I'm looking for any thoughts that may get me off the fence...

Thanks for any info you can provide. John

My setup is this...

AB800 x 3
    SB800 x 2
    Vagabond II (portable power pack)

I have stands, umbrellas, softboxes, strip boxes, etc for the AB's. I also have a few things for the SB's.

I prefer the ab800's most of the time, but sometimes I feel the sb800's are the best. Just depends on the situation. You could always do what the SB800 can do with an AB800, but I don't think a SB800 can always do what a AB800 can do.

However,

You can do some GREAT things with just 1-2 flashes (SB800's) and there are endless possibilities - so that might be the best way to start things out. I started that way and eventually had 3 SB600's and 2 SB800's but I sold the 600's in favor of the AB800s. I got a HELL of a deal on a studio that was closing and I bought their whole setup for $2400.

It's def easier to move the SB800/modifiers/stands around then the AB800 setups, because the stands are smaller, lighter, pack up smaller. I have two 13' HD stands for the AB800's and I'm going to get a third sometime.

strobist.com is a GREAT source of info, I spent two days straight at work reading through the info/challenges/tutorials
    onelight dvd I've heard is good, I need to watch mine.
    Joe McNally is also a GREAT source and he's amazing w/ small lights (on location)

Hope that helps, if not, fire away and I'll come back with an answer for ya.
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Eric,

The first one you posted is my favorite of the bunch. It just seems to work best for some reason. I do agree with PF though that a hint of light on her might have been nice, although you never know for sure until you try! Do you happen to have one where she is not touching the walls (but almost touching the walls)?

The one with the bench is nice even though she does seem a bit pale, but I am just not a fan of the sunglasses.

The second b/w you posted I like but I'm not sure about the silhouette almost blending in with the black of the sky.
    It's my favorite as well, but I prefer w/ no light on the front.

The first one I put up w/ the bench was pale, I re-did it and put another "warmer" shot up, but I don't think I linked it here. It's on my flickr - http://flickr.com/photos/emack - sunglasses are hit or miss for me, I can see either being the best (w/ an w/ out)

I'll look through if I have one where she's not touching the walls, not sure.
    Thanks for the reply and sharing your learning curve with me. I'm now pretty sure I'm going start with the light (as in weight) approach and then beef it up when any power shortcomings become apparent... I'll save my back while I'm a lighting newb and then grow from there.

Again, your info is much appreciated. John