Mt. Baker Wildflowers

dustin32dustin32 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited September 12, 2009 in Landscapes
A couple of shots I took back I July (I think). I wasn't thrilled with the compositions, so messed with them a bit in attempt to add interest. Feel free to share your love and hate (especially your hate and why) about any of them. Thanks for looking!

All shot with a Nikon D90, and either the 18-55mm, or the 50mm 1.8.

#1: Off a little-used trail off the Mt. Baker Highway, early on in the journey.
632458934_fSyHe-L.jpg

#2: Same location as above.
632459015_dRH7G-L.jpg

#3: On the gravel road leading to the Skyline Divide trail head:
632459066_YpQAM-L.jpg

#4: I believe also on Skyline Divide.
632459284_vsymW-L.jpg

#5: Road to Skyline Divide trail again.
632459131_T7LAJ-L.jpg

#6: Canyon Creek Road.
632459223_GyP8Q-L.jpg

#7: Bridge on Canyon Creek Road.
632459316_Psi4R-L.jpg

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    The first two images, I like the compositions of both of them but the sky is partially blown out in the first and a bit overexposed in the second. Might have been a perfect time for a ND Grad as it is almost impossible for the camera to function with that much dynamic range. Even better An HDR would have worked possilbly too.

Photo 3 I like but it is a bit soft on focus I believe.

photo 4 and 5 I would have loved to see the background more in focus. Maybe f22 or so and set your focus ring about 3-5'.

photo 6 you have the flowers in very good clarity, this is a good photo all around but I still feel like I want to see more clarity in the background, and primarily because the hills and mountains look like they are probably very pretty.

This is just my humble opinion.
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    Pretty good shots! This is where I can see possible improvement:

#1: Blown out sky and (as a result) washed out foreground. Tough situation to get a really good shot in. Multiple exposures here would be the trick. Also, if you don't use a circular polarizer, I recommend getting one.

#2: Generally very good photo, but it feels a little unbalanced with the washed out background. You could try to do some sharpening and contrast adjustments on the mountain only to see if you can bring it into balance with the rest of the photo.

#3 and #5: Good composition, but way over saturated.

#6: Mostly I like it, but the framing feels a little bit off. I can't put my finger on it.

#7: Good color, composition, and scene. thumb.gif

That's just my far-from-professional opinion! Overall well done.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200