DSS#33 Chasing Tail

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited September 13, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I love SOOC challenges - much less headache (and eyestrain) in front of the computer! These three shots were trimmed (cropped) in-camera, but no other processing whatsoever. If in-camera edits aren't kosher I can submit the originals but I like the framing of the trimmed versions better.

All that aside, how do these fit the theme? I've posted them in order of my preference - what do you think?

646607018_ExzTH-L.jpg

646608464_HpqNK-L.jpg

646610050_ssiq8-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    Very nice! I like #1 and #2 the best as well, but can't decide between the two.

Interesting question about in-camera cropping. I think some cameras allow you to do all sorts of post-processing in the camera before you pull the file off. So technically, is it straight out of the camera. But I think (and please correct me) that the spirit of this is that you pull the trigger and that is it. Otherwise the line between in-camera PP and out of camera PP is pretty thin.

Nice shots!
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2009
    I take your point. Here are the straight, straight-out-of-the-camera shots (no in-camera crops). Wish the framing were better - no chance of a reshoot! Laughing.gif

646641489_gZv7v-L.jpg

646644016_dRbse-L.jpg

646646293_bfFm2-L.jpg
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    I still like #1 best. And even without the crop it works very well.

It is kinda cool that you can see part of the body under water in 2 & 3.

Great shots! I went whale watching once. It sure is hard to catch them!
  • sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    Awesome shots! I also like #1 best as well. Definitely get a sense of motion!
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    Hi Ben,

Welcome back! I have been wondering where you have been!

Regarding your shots, they are all beautiful, especially #1 and #2 because the water is more dramatic in those and makes those 2 images a lot more interesting to look at. Now, if I had to choose between #1 and #2, I would go with #1 due to extremely cool-looking shape of the water which looks so much like a waterfall falling off of the edge of the tail. I like the fact that it is cut closer as opposed to #3.

Beautiful shots! thumb.gif
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    #1 is my favorite. The light coming off that curtain of water gorgeous. thumb.gif
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    #1 15524779-Ti.gifthumb
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
    Thanks guys for your encouraging comments. Looks like #1 is the consensus shot - it was my favorite of the bunch so I'm grateful for that. I guess I'll be going with the un-cropped version since we're interpreting SOOC to prohibit in-camera editing as well as post.

And thanks, Allen - it's nice to be back! This summer has been hectic, but after a much needed vacation in New England (with the whales and plenty of lobster!) and now getting back into a regular (if busy) schedule I plan to be more active again here with the challenges and other forums. I've missed you guys!
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    I still like #1 best. And even without the crop it works very well.

It is kinda cool that you can see part of the body under water in 2 & 3.

Great shots! I went whale watching once. It sure is hard to catch them!

The whale watching excursion was even more exciting that I could have imagined. I really didn't expect to see too much, and certainly not so close! Apparently the whales were unusually active that day, and we saw some pretty cool antics and behaviors. After initial "contact" it was just a matter of pointing the camera at any movement in the water and just shooting rapid-fire hoping to catch something from the beautiful and unpredictable creatures. Confined to the rocking boat there wasn't much to do in the way of composing shots - just wide-eyed anticipation and dependence on fast reflexes. Laughing.gif.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    #1 is the one for the contest here IMO. Wonderful shots. Amazing animals!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site