DSS #33, no reshoot possible

SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited September 13, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
While waiting for my remote shutter release, I had the opportunity to catch these shots this evening.

646679795_zDN4Q-XL.jpg

646680029_dLQ4s-XL.jpg

646680300_CPXc8-XL.jpg

646680569_RHUtN-XL.jpg

646680828_XYpix-XL.jpg

646679574_zLuUr-XL.jpg

Whaddya think?
Fuji X-S10
Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com

Comments

• SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    Not a single comment? Are they that uninspiring?
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    Hee hee heee! It stinks when you get no love. Those are wicked cool, no question. Were you in the glide path on purpose or did you look up and say Wow!

I had Marine-One with Obama on it fly right over me at low altitude while I was sitting at the beach earlier this summer. A real shame there was no time to get the camera out, I would have had some amazing closeups.

Very cool, no doubt about it!
  • sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    Wow - so cool! Definitely implies motion! I may not ever have an opportunity to see the shuttle landing. Way to go!
    I had to drive 80 miles at 80mph, to get there about 3 minutes before it arrived. Half my shots, the focus was out, but these came out good... and yes, I planted myself exactly on the approach line purposefully.

See where the green line crosses over Desert Lake? That's right about where I was.

645923858_xegwS-XL.jpg
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    These are all cool shots, but if I were to provide a C&C, I would have to say that the subject is a bit too far. It seems like the lonely tiny plane is lost in the giant sky, hence the whole feel for "movement" gets diminished.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

Can't say I disagree with you, but I couldn't get any closer to the base, and that was fully zoomed with 400mm. If I were in any other challenge I'd crop it much tighter, but for straight-from-the-camera, this was the best I can do.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

Smithy wrote:
    Can't say I disagree with you, but I couldn't get any closer to the base, and that was fully zoomed with 400mm. If I were in any other challenge I'd crop it much tighter, but for straight-from-the-camera, this was the best I can do.

I hear you. I guess it is what it is. At least you got some good shots for your archives!
    Allen Parseghian

See, I really like this one...

646679795_zDN4Q-XL-1.jpg

but it violates the rules. :cry
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

Smithy wrote:
    See, I really like this one...

646679795_zDN4Q-M-1.jpg

but it violates the rules. :cry

Awesome! The trails are clearly visible to convey motion too.
    Allen Parseghian

edited September 13, 2009
    Allright, riddle me this...

The crop I posted above was done in Smugmug from the original, and shows the same EXIF data as the direct-from-camera option.

This crop, which I did in the camera, shows a new EXIF modified date:

647892372_2PLHh-M.jpg

So, while option A violates the rules as written, it works on EXIF examination, while the image that fits the rules as written, violates the EXIF test.

headscratch.gif

So what's a photographer to do? I really like the crop of this one, and would seriously consider it for the contest, but I'd like to know how to proceed.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• embenderembender Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    Seems like it would violate the spirit of the rules, if not the letter. Otherwise everyone can crop their "SOOC" shots, they just have to do it in smugmug. What about other smugmug post-processing effects, do they result in the same EXIF data, too? Where would the line be drawn in cases like this? I don't think that was the intent of the SOOC rule in the challenge. Just my opinion of course.

Great shot, though, I can see why you want to use it.
    Again, if the boss (Lleweyellin) were sitting here, then the fact that an in-camera crop was accomplished would not be in debate - but as stated, they look at the EXIF data to verify, which blows up my in-camera editing options.

All of this, for want of a longer lens that day. :bluduh
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• embenderembender Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    Sounds grey. However, I thought the intent of the SOOC term was to convey that no processing was done after the shutter was released.

So, just to take this to the extreme, one could take a photo with the iSight camera in their laptop. Where would the SOOC term apply there? Would it exclude the use of photoshop since it is technically "on the camera"? Hey, the file never left the camera. Where does it stop?

So I think the spirit if the rule is that no processing is performed after the shutter is released. Again, just an opinion. I'm new here and I'm sure this has been debated to death in the past. But that would be my interpretation of the term. Otherwise, the term itself is not very meaningful and has great potential for abuse.

That said, a crop is pretty innocuous. And based on the criteria, it does sound like it would be accepted into the challenge since the two time stamps would match, and that was the stated method to determine suitability. Does this expose a bug in smugmug? A cropped image is certainly not the same as the original, so I would expect the modified time stamp to reflect the change.
    Yeah, really grey.

Here's what our fearless tormentor said in the entry thread which I had to re-read...
    Llywellyn wrote:
    That is the spirit of things, and I'd consider cropping going too far (I mean, nailing your composition is key, right?), but I stand by my words earlier: use what your camera gives you and nothin' else.

This isn't a challenge for nits, seriously. Getting it right in camera is a very important skill to have as a photographer. This is your chance to hone it. thumb.gif

So, I shall not crop, in camera or out, since it seems to violate the spirit, even though the technology allows me to fake it. Let it be written, let it be done.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs