DSS #33 - Swinging Silhouette - Which one?

nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
edited September 16, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Which one do you like best? All straight out of camera except for resizing. I will upload the full size in the gallery once I figure out which one I want to go with.

#1:

646770774_YFAgi-XL.jpg

#2:

646770779_3e8FJ-XL.jpg

#3:

646770796_7nFqL-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

Comments

• ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    #2 is fabulous. Great job.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    #2 or #3. Did you try any with a longer exposure to get more of an idea of swinging movement?

Great idea! Thanks for sharing thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    I know it doesn't have the same gloriously colored sky, but I like #1 the best.

For me it says movement, in fact, soaring, even without blur. It makes me remember that feeling you have when you swing so high that you experience a heart stopping drop before swinging backwards.

All of that said, my guess (and it is just a guess) is that #3 would do better in the challenge. The sky adds the added "wow" factor and the viewer can feel the young man on the rings moving forward even if we don't see any blur.

Excellent work, as usual.

Virginia

Virginia

Email
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    #3 is a 10!

The implied lines of the arched bars and rings lead the eye to the "swinger" and back around to the other points of interest in the frame. The perfect form of your subject's arched back suspended over the roller coaster echoes the arches of the swingset, the curves of the rings, ferris wheel, and roller coaster track. I think it's a perfect shot with perfect design elements through-out. This one gets my vote hands down.
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Agreeing w/ Virginia. I like the two people swinging more than the amazing sky.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    Beautiful shots! #3 is my favorite and I definitely think it works with the theme!
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    "Oh Man: Thats Sweet!"

First words out of my mouth!

The two folks swinging are cool...but for me the slack in the chain of the fella #2thumb.gif, is what adds more motion to it!
    tom wise
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    Benjer wrote:
    #3 is a 10!

The implied lines of the arched bars and rings lead the eye to the "swinger" and back around to the other points of interest in the frame. The perfect form of your subject's arched back suspended over the roller coaster echoes the arches of the swingset, the curves of the rings, ferris wheel, and roller coaster track. I think it's a perfect shot with perfect design elements through-out. This one gets my vote hands down.

15524779-Ti.gif Mine too!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    1 & 2 for me... but they're all great!!! thumb.gif
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    Thanks all! Here are 3 more versions. First one has more motion blur to it.

#4:

647115845_T6L8Q-XL.jpg

#5:

647114128_KWcHa-XL.jpg

#6:

647114161_uoyQL-XL.jpg
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    I'm with Gina and Andrew on this one - even without that wicked sky, I love the 2 people swinging - it totally evokes movement! If you're stuck on using one of the ring swingers, I would go for number 3 - I like the shape of the legs in that one the most - it looks like the person is flying. And personally, I don't think you need a motion blur these shots - it's sort of a 'what goes up must come down' kind of thing.

Beautiful photos, as usual!!
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    I vote for #3. Super photos all, but 3 is tops.
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    I got to agree with Virginia on this. I personally prefer #1, I think it is a wonderful shot, but I think #3 would do better in the challenge.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    Growing with Dgrin

• KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    #3 for me. awesome shot.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Another for #3. I do like the 2 people swinging, but #3 has everything...nice sky, movement (even if implied), composition. Definitely a 10 Allen! thumb.gif
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    I will join the crowd and go with #3
    I have kept coming back to this thread and was really liking #2 initially, but as I read the other comments and go back to number 3, I will join the crowd. It has a stronger silhouette of the body.

Thanks for your comment on my train station. I couldn't see it.
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Sorry Allen, I thought I had replied to this already, #3 all the way for me thumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain