Other brands?

Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
edited September 17, 2009 in Cameras
What other brand of lenses can you use with Nikon bodies?
If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    Mr. Quiet wrote:

Well.... try having a read through any board/site selling Nikon gear and you'll probably see your options :D

The most currently popular 3rd-party brands of lenses currently are Tamron, Sigma and Tokina.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Sigma is the LARGEST of the so called 3rd party manufacturers......with Tokina and Tamron.....then there is
    vivitar,Phoenix, etc etc......if you pick up a POPULAR PHOTO you can see 99.99999% to 100% of all the off brand lenses also.......
    I only trust Sigma, Vivitar, Tamropn and Tokina for any kind of quality even close t0o the camera manufacturers lenses.........back in the film days when Fuji was actually producing lenses they actually had the best coating done by a lazer ...... they were demo'ed by having a red hot cigar put out on it to show how tuff the coating was.......it must have been way too expensive or Fuji would not license the technology to C & N or any one else to coat their lenses (at the time I used Fuji Cameras (AX3) and lenses as well as Sigma....................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Thank you all for your help!

Seymore, check your email:D

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    I tried Sigma, but I wasn't very happy overall. The 10-20 has been excellent, but the 30mm 1.4 suffered terrible back focus, and the 18-200 had all sorts of small problems that I wasn't thrilled with.

Yeah, my wallet is a bit lighter, but Nikon lenses haven't let me down yet. Granted I've been dumping the low cost sigmas for higher end Nikons. So it might not be quite a fair comparison, but I think the 30mm 1.4 shouldn't have had such problems, and i heard that they were not uncommon.
    How are Sony lenses?

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    How are Sony lenses?

Sony interchangeable lenses are called "Sony Alpha" mount lenses, but I believe it is really just a rebadged Minolta mount. (Sony bought Konica-Minolta.) They will not fit a Nikon camera if that's what you're asking.

For a Nikon dSLR you need Nikon "F" mount, usually "AI" type and AF as well, and for Nikon D40, D40x and D60 you would probably want AF-S as well.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Sony interchangeable lenses are called "Sony Alpha" mount lenses, but I believe it is really just a rebadged Minolta mount. (Sony bought Konica-Minolta.) They will not fit a Nikon camera if that's what you're asking.

For a Nikon dSLR you need Nikon "F" mount, usually "AI" type and AF as well, and for Nikon D40, D40x and D60 you would probably want AF-S as well.

Thank you......I just upgraded to a 200, so now I don't need to be so picky about the AF-S and all, right?

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Thank you......I just upgraded to a 200, so now I don't need to be so picky about the AF-S and all, right?

Yes, the Nikon D200 has a screw drive for AF lenses. Pretty much anything in an "AI"-"F" mount should work fine.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited September 17, 2009
    I did, I will not, and thank you Saymore and Ziggy!:D

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson