Print size question

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited September 12, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Quick question. How large can a 4256x2832 photo be printed without resorting to fancy enlargement software (ie genuine fractals or PS enlarging)?
Thanks,
E

Edit: found the answer - 14x9 at 300dpi larger with minimal sacrifice of print quality

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 12, 2009
    Actually, I think you might be able to go bigger, if you pixels are first rate to begin with.

While 300 ppi is the usual recommendation for pixels per inch in a large print, you might print some images of yours and find that you can use 200 ppi, or even possibly, 140 ppi. Print some sections of your image at various ppi numbers and see if you can actually identify which are which. You may be surprised.

At 200 ppi your print will be over 21 inches long.

Remember, PPI is not how many dots of color per inch will be one the page, since modern ink jet printers print 5-15 dots of ink for each pixel. And larger prints are not usually examined as closely as smaller ones.

We did this exercise at one of Marc's print workshops, and nice images can be printed at 180-200 ppi. Depends a bit on the image and its initial quality too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    Thanks Pathfinder. It was actually a quick question for a friend who just received his wedding photos as JPGs and asked me about printing them. They come from a D3 so I'm sure he can blow them up to at least 200dpi and maybe even 150 without any loss of quality.
    Thanks for the detailed post.
    E
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    Your welcome.

I suspect portraits will tolerate this much better than landscape with fine detailed leaf structures in the image too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin