DSS #33 - Not Practice (or Maybe?)

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited September 17, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok, I've be eschewing feedback for the last two or three challenges, but I'll be reaching out regularly this time as I'll be traveling the whole period and won't have much chance to be introspective on selecting what works. Plus, I'll be in wildly different situations for 2-3 days at a time.

So, here are a couple that I took today specifically for the challenge. Concept? Execution? Worth holding on to? Both taken in Hong Kong. Motion blur. I have several others including stable versions of the infinite crowds as well.

1)
646983541_pG3dQ-XL.jpg

2)
646984936_qs2Bi-XL.jpg

Comments

• nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    These are really interesting! There are 2 ways you can look at this.

#1 is clearly all about movement and you can't go wrong with that. It is great!

In #2, you have the person in left who is holding up a sign and not moving which to some people can look a little distracting and seem like that s/he is taking away from the whole purpose of this shot, "movement". However, some people might perceive this as giving the image more balance. One person standing in the foreground and everybody else moving around that person give you the impression of relative motion (Einstein anyone?) which makes the "movement" of other people look more pronounced. I kind of wish that s/he weren't holding up that sign and were just standing there.

I am curious how others will see this. Anyway, #1 is a safer bet, however I find #2 more interesting to look at.

Good stuff thumb.gif
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    #1 is absolutely fabulous! You captured movement very well, IMO. Looks like a winner to me! thumb.gif

#2 does not flow as smoothly because my visual trip through the photo is distracted by that hand washing sign.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    #1 ROCKS my world - it's fabulous!!!
  • jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    These are really interesting! There are 2 ways you can look at this.
    I am curious how others will see this. Anyway, #1 is a safer bet, however I find #2 more interesting to look at.

Good stuff thumb.gif

Funny Allen should say this - before I even scrolled down to the second picture, I thought to myself, "It would so cool to have someone standing still in the middle of the throng..." In my head I pictured a night time shot, with the lighting coming from the signs. So - I guess I won't try it in my neck of the woods!!

What about a slightly longer exposure to blur the people even more?
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    #1 ROCKS my world - it's fabulous!!!

I decided to use your post to respond to as it makes me happy! :D

I would have loved to have nailed the isolated individual with the sea of movement around them. I love getting those. There are a couple in this series, but they were both early and late when I was looking for frozen crowds. The sign ladies were my bane on this shoot. There were actually two of them advertising manicure shops working the corner

There's more to this story that I'll share after the comp closes, imagine hand-held 1/4s exposure overhead on a small protrudence against a store-front in the centre of Hong Kong... (rats, there's the story.) I'm going to go with #1 for now, but there are a couple of other ideas I have in mind.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    #1 is awesome! Great caputre of motion and I like the contrast
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    #1 for all the reasons above. Also the motion has a gradient where the people far way are relatively sharp and the motion increases as you get closer. Make for an interesting image.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    Hey guys, I'm back with one other from the same day. No motion blur, but wanted to get your thoughts.

3)
    652232977_nGpnY-XL.jpg
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    Jen, your current entry is superb both for theme, and just as a great PJ picture that captures a time and place. This one is good - and it's kind of cool to see the faces clearly, and the comp at the edges is marginally cleaner - but the other one captures way more life and movement. Just my opinion, but don't mess with a good thing! thumb.gif