NYC - 9/11 Tribute In Lights

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
edited September 19, 2009 in Landscapes
Once again I went in to shoot the 9/11 Tribute in Lights in lower Manhattan. Unfortunately, we had pretty lousy conditions last night. I was at Liberty State Park, across the river in New Jersey, and we had light rain, fog and low clouds all evening. I started out with the camera in a plastic bag with just the front of the lens poking out. Eventually the rain mostly stopped, but the clouds never lifted. Despite the conditions, there were 30 or so people at the north end of the park, and another dozen or so at the south end to see and/or photograph the lights.

646745890_aedyj-L-2.jpg

646750978_feBPv-L-3.jpg

646756276_5E6ay-L-2.jpg

Here are my galleries from the past few years:
http://moose135.smugmug.com/New-York-City/September-11-Memorial

Comments

• promoguypromoguy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    See that haze. It's those that lost their lives (murdered) saying thank you for remembering.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    Thanks Moose,

I've not forgotten...
    Randy
  • embenderembender Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    Powerful.
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    Good shots thumb.gif but change that watermark! I find it too intrusive.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    Thanks everyone! At first I was disappointed by the weather, but after seeing the shots (and drying off and getting some sleep) I really do like how they look.
    CoryUT wrote:
    Good shots thumb.gif but change that watermark! I find it too intrusive.
    Done...I was processing these at 2am, and just grabbed my default, but you were right.
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    Thanks for these images.

Never forget. RIP.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    That last one is simply a stunner!
  • rle5rle5 Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    Beautiful!
    Just wanted to say that I love the contrast between the blue lights and the yellow city lights in the first shot!

These are all stunning! Great work!

One a side note though, how do you keep your equipment dry when shooting in damp conditions? Just an umbrella? It rains a fair bit where I live and it is always a worry of mine. I would appreciate some tips!
  • SteelydanSteelydan Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    Great images, I think number one is unusual as the beams of light ,just stop suddenly. Unlike they would on a normal good September weather.

Thanks for sharing, still remembering
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Great job !
    Thanks for sharing thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    Beautiful Moose thumb.gif
  • PhotoUnitPhotoUnit Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 14, 2009
    Hey Moose.....
    It's Bill, I was speaking with you at LSP....... Nice shots and it was great to meet you..... Hopefully next year, things will be better... Here's one I was able to get before the rain returned....... The rest are here: http://fdphotounit.com/Journalism/91109/9610146_fcqqg/1/647406172_rT8SU

647406172_rT8SU-X2-3.jpg
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    Outstanding shots, Moose--beautiful memorials you have created with your shots!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    bowdown.gif Thank you for sharing these with us! Just breathtaking and I honestly do not think the weather was working against you for these. The low clouds add so much drama to the lights, it's perfect.
  • GatornoleGatornole Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    promoguy wrote:
    See that haze. It's those that lost their lives (murdered) saying thank you for remembering.

AMEN!
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Thanks folks, I appreciate your comments.

Bill, it was a pleasure meeting you at LSP - I checked your web site over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised to find you were a fellow SmugMugger! I really like your photos as well, and nice work on the FD galleries.

rle5 wrote:
    One a side note though, how do you keep your equipment dry when shooting in damp conditions? Just an umbrella? It rains a fair bit where I live and it is always a worry of mine. I would appreciate some tips!
    When I first got there, around sunset (not that you could tell...) we had a steady light drizzle. I had the camera on a tripod, and used a plastic supermarket bag to cover it - I placed the bag over the camera, with the opening at the rear. I poked a hole for the lens, using a rubber band to hold the bag tight around the end of the lens. I could access the camera controls and check the LCD through the open end of the bag, but kept it wrapped together to keep the rain out after making adjustments. I used a cloth to wipe the lens between shots.
  • MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009