Challenge 33--"Girl in the Air"

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited September 19, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
What do you think?
I'm sure I'll have a willing model just dying to re-shoot---she had a blast!

647143313_5zBJc-XL.jpg

647146107_4XoJR-XL.jpg

647147267_3ACcc-XL.jpg

647143866_KJMUF-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    I think the ones where she's looking at the camera work better (IMNSHO), although #2 & 3 are the only ones where she's looking directly at the camera instead of the photographer, but her hair is covering her face.

There's quite a bit of blurring here, and I'm sort of confused in trying to work out which bits are moving; I think I'd want to try some more and also keep her away from the wall (harsh shadows make it even more confusing…)

Great idea and cute girl…

HTH -
    - Wil

BTW: I don't which gear you're using, but have you thought about trying multiple images on the same exposure? Nikon calls it "Repeating Flash Mode" (in which the flash fires repeatedly during a single exposure).
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    Wil Davis wrote:
    BTW: I don't gear you're using, but have you thought about trying multiple images on the same exposure? Nikon calls it "Repeating Flash Mode" (in which the flash fires repeatedly during a single exposure).

Hi Will,
    Thanks for commenting so fast--
    I'm using an Olympus E620 and I did find that feature in my camera manual--but I saw that someone is already using that--the karate one.

I will try and reshoot with her further away from the wall---and with better lighting conditions (the lighting doesn't look so good does it?). But I think it's worth pursuing:D .

Also there was flower pictures behind her and pillows too but I moved them to get a clearer shot--maybe I should leave them in so people know what's what--what do you think?

647141064_ZEG7D-XL.jpg

Can't use it because the crop is not good--but maybe I should leave the background stuff?
    Liz A.
    _________
    Having too much stuff in the picture can lead to it becoming even more confusing; I think I'd try to keep it simple. Hey, you've a willing model, so surely that's a plus!

- Wil
    …also her hair is too dark for you to isolate her from the wall by using a dark background; it would work OK she had light hair.

You could try using a backlight ("rim-light" or "kicker") to isolate her from the wall…

The other thing is if you get her away from the wall, you not only deal with the shadows but if you use the correct stop, you can throw the wall out of focus so anything on the wall (decor, switches, outlets, cobwebs, scuff marks) become much less noticeable.

I didn't realize about the repeating-flashes already being used as I haven't been following the thread; but surely one person doesn't have "dibs" on a technique? I suppose that's the disadvantage (or advantage) of publishing ideas before the actual challenge…

- Wil
    I will try the back light approach and also pull her away from the wall--plus possibly take the photo from a different angle--where a lighter wall is showing. Thanks for all the tipsthumb.gif .
    Hopefully tomorrow will be sunny and I can get better light in that room.
    For now I'm jus trying to stop her from taking a header off the bed when I'm not looking--she's 2.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    No more monkeys jumping on the bed!

Great idea! I love the pure joy in her face.

Of the ones you posted so far, I like 3 best.
    edited September 13, 2009
    Morning What She Saw,

If I decide to go with this idea and if they turn out better--can I use your title idea "No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed"?--It's perfect.

I will reshoot today, the lighting is better and she's having coniptions just waiting to get her turn on the bed again.

I will repost the reshoot.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Look forward to seeing Round 2. I love the idea - the only thing I don't like, in fact, is the hard shadow on the back wall. If you can get rid of that either by using a different light source that isn't on camera, or somehow diffusing your on-camera flash better (try bubble wrap or Ikea shelf liner held/taped as far in front of it as you can get it), then it's a winner thumb.gif
    divamum wrote:
    Look forward to seeing Round 2. I love the idea - the only thing I don't like, in fact, is the hard shadow on the back wall. If you can get rid of that either by using a different light source that isn't on camera, or somehow diffusing your on-camera flash better (try bubble wrap or Ikea shelf liner held/taped as far in front of it as you can get it), then it's a winner thumb.gif

Just tried attempt #2 but after the first jump she was done--more interested in Playdoh--how can anyone compete with playdoh? She is pre nap cranky and I'm waiting for her to start shrieking for blue M&M's only and white flowers in the room---demanding models!!!

Also I covered the on camera flash with vellum paper, but still getting too much shadow in the back--I've got lights pointing at the wall and still the shadows persist--hope the clouds lift after her nap and will try again--hopefully. I have hidden the playdoh.
    Liz A.
    _________
    Morning What She Saw,

If I decide to go with this idea and if they turn out better--can I use your title idea "No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed"?--It's perfect.

I will reshoot today, the lighting is better and she's having coniptions just waiting to get her turn on the bed again.

I will repost the reshoot.

Absolutely! Go for it. :D

"I have hidden the playdoh." Laughing.gif.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Liking this approach. Get a box of oreos for bribes (and energy) and keep her at it :D
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    You've got another week to get the one you want.

As a bonus, she may never want to jump on the bed again. :D
    Second go round-"No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed"
    oK Second shoot--
    Sofia went on strike until I let her big brother participate, which added a whooooole other demension to this project--trying to keep them both from falling or jumping on each other--no one got hurt btw--but it was very hard to keep them both in the frame--maybe that works?!lol--the power of suggestion.
    I see the shadows are still an issue--but are they better?

648337584_G2Z69-XL.jpg

648336040_vY3hF-XL.jpg

648335288_wFPeu-XL.jpg

648334405_GUDQW-XL.jpg

10. Does this count as motion? Not jumping but throwing a fit:) lol--
    648328870_j5mXS-XL.jpg

This seems like a simple concept--but I'm definately struggling with it.
    Liz A.
    _________
    I think 2 subjects is definitely harder than 1. With 2, you really want both looking at the camera - really hard to do when they are both in motion.

It might be easier to use your son as the subject. Less hair - less likely that the hair will get in the way.

I think I like 3 better than any in the 2nd set. Keep at it. This is a good idea and even if you get none that are perfect, you will have some keepers for the family album.
    edited September 19, 2009
    Last try--LOOK AT HOW CLOSE I GOT?
    This was the second shot--she bounced higher than she bargained for and got spooked, she refused even a slight hop after that--that was all she wrote!:( It's an awful shame I chopped her foot off. Well at least I don't have to worry about her jumping on the bed anymore.

654338579_yQdtA-XL.jpg

Since this was a no go--I went ahead with my other idea and called it dilation--it's in the gallery, I'm pretty please with it.

Thank you all so much for all your help and advise--I think I did wind up improving--notice the lack of shadow:D and less blurr, more in focus--oh so close.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    That is a very sweet shot!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site