Old Cell Phone Tower

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in Landscapes
This is a photo of a cell phone tower that sits on top of a mountain not far from where I live. I don't think this tower is in use any more, at least it doesn't look like it. This was taken just before noon time. What I'd like to know is, what can be done to make this look better. Any and all C & C is welcomed (I got very thick skin). Click on the image for the EXIF info.

647214774_hM6bs-L.jpg

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    Hey Gary,

It's a nicely framed shot, but there's nothing that really jumps out about it to me. I think I would try to get some better light in either the early morning or late afternoon and see what that does for it. Aside from that, maybe try for more of a detail shot, either the microwave antennas themselves, or a closer shot of the tower structure. Not sure if you can get any closer, but if you can, then maybe a steep shot looking up at it?

Also, for what it's worth, I don't believe that's a cell tower, but rather an old microwave phone tower, used for regular long distance calls back in the day.

http://www.drgibson.com/towers/
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    rustic wrote:
    Hey Gary,

It's a nicely framed shot, but there's nothing that really jumps out about it to me. I think I would try to get some better light in either the early morning or late afternoon and see what that does for it. Aside from that, maybe try for more of a detail shot, either the microwave antennas themselves, or a closer shot of the tower structure. Not sure if you can get any closer, but if you can, then maybe a steep shot looking up at it?

Also, for what it's worth, I don't believe that's a cell tower, but rather an old microwave phone tower, used for regular long distance calls back in the day.

http://www.drgibson.com/towers/

Hi Rustic! Thanks for the comments. I don't think early morning, or late afternoon light is going to help it much, because of it being surrounded by trees, but I can give it a try next time I'm out driving around looking for new stuff to shoot. I'll probably need to use flash to help with the lower light at those times. As for the type of tower it is, you're probably right. All I know it was built sometime after 1978 (when I had moved to Florida), and before 1995 (when I had moved back to the area). Below is two more versions I had shot that day. They are close-ups of the top portion of the tower.

647717596_gfDAy-L.jpg

647718009_uoZLe-L.jpg

Are these any better? I had to bump up the black point a tad, and boost the highlights because they were a little on the dark side just below the actual antenna.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    #2 would probably make for an interesting black and white conversion. Personally, #3 just doesn't get my attention.
    karlabbott wrote:
    #2 would probably make for an interesting black and white conversion. Personally, #3 just doesn't get my attention.

Something like this?

648688496_qxVDK-L.jpg

GaryB
    GaryB
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Something like this?

648688496_qxVDK-L.jpg

GaryB

I do like the b/w version much better! The color is OK but color doesn't do much for it whereas the monochrome treatment really brings out the geometric shapes. thumb.gif
  • dyuhasdyuhas Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Hi Rustic! Thanks for the comments. I don't think early morning, or late afternoon light is going to help it much, because of it being surrounded by trees, but I can give it a try next time I'm out driving around looking for new stuff to shoot. I'll probably need to use flash to help with the lower light at those times.

You must have an awfully big flash!
    schmoo wrote:
    I do like the b/w version much better! The color is OK but color doesn't do much for it whereas the monochrome treatment really brings out the geometric shapes. thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments Schmoo! I guess from now on when I shoot something like this, I'll have to do a B/W version right away.

GaryB
    GaryB
    dyuhas wrote:
    You must have an awfully big flash!

Just an SB600, besides the built-in flash on the camera. You'd be surprised how far the light from a flash will travel.

GaryB
    GaryB