Options

macro - what am I doing wrong?

lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
edited July 3, 2005 in Technique
I am shooting with a Nikon D70 and Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG Macro lens.

I am totally unhappy with my macro attempts. I use a tripod, wireless shutter remote, and usally leave the lens in manual mode. I've used A priority, S priority, and M mode. Nothing I do seems to let me get close to the subject and get a good macro shot. Is there something wrong with my lens or am I still doing something wrong!?! :dunno

Here is an example. This is a dead fly. I am like 3-4" away, on a tripod, manual focus, etc...

Frustrated!!!

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    lr1811 wrote:
    I am shooting with a Nikon D70 and Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG Macro lens.

I am totally unhappy with my macro attempts. I use a tripod, wireless shutter remote, and usally leave the lens in manual mode. I've used A priority, S priority, and M mode. Nothing I do seems to let me get close to the subject and get a good macro shot. Is there something wrong with my lens or am I still doing something wrong!?! ne_nau.gif

Here is an example. This is a dead fly. I am like 3-4" away, on a tripod, manual focus, etc...

Frustrated!!!
    I use the same lens on a 300D for my shots. I use manual mode F11-F16 1/200th sec handheld with a flashgun in ETTL mode. I suspect you may be shooting in natural light and have a fairly open aperture. You need to close down the aperture to get a reasonable DOF, plus I always manually focus the lens. The technique for shooting is to set the focus (magnification) and then gently move the camera back and forth until you see sharp focus and then fire.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    I found that macro is the hardest to learn to do well. I really haven't learned yet because it does take a huge amount of dedication. The great macro shots you see here are by photographers that have experimented and practiced to get a setup and style to achieve the shots they get. They take a ton of pictures to be able get to the point of what you see now.

Patience and practice young grasshopper.

I'm an old, grumpy, stink bug, so I use my macro lens for clear flower shots and portraits and let these guys impress the heck out of me with their work.:D
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    I found that macro is the hardest to learn to do well. I really haven't learned yet because it does take a huge amount of dedication. The great macro shots you see here are by photographers that have experimented and practiced to get a setup and style to achieve the shots they get. They take a ton of pictures to be able get to the point of what you see now.

Patience and practice young grasshopper.

I'm an old, grumpy, stink bug, so I use my macro lens for clear flower shots and portraits and let these guys impress the heck out of me with their work.:D
    Good point- I've just worked out I have taken over 2500 shots in the last 6 weeks honing my technique/equipment.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    J: You have the Camera, the Lens, the Tripod and Remote, and the ...errr... Subject. :D

H: All you need is Light.

J: First off, like LV mentioned, you need to close down the aperture to gain some DOF. This looks like it was shot at about max aperture (I usually shoot at minimum).

H: Also keep your ISO at minimum, to maximize image quality. At the same time, maximize your shutter speed to keep camera shake/subject movement in check.

J: At these settings, you'll need to illuminate the subject with Sunlight, or some alternate Nuclear Light Source.

H: Or you can use Flash.

J: Use a diffuser of your choice to tame the harsh light (Lumiquest, LightSphere II, etc). I've also built homemade diffusers for use with the built-in flash, on-camera flash, and off-camera flash.

H: Don't forget to sync your flash at the appropriate shutter speed.

Follow these simple guidlines, and you'll be shooting like a pro in no time,
    J&H