1st self portrait attempt

Raina.RaeRaina.Rae Registered Users Posts: 205 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in People
This is my first attempt at taking a self portrait. I used a wireless remote to trigger the camera. c/c welcome

1)647310285_7kz5k-M.jpg

2)647310439_8Ahdw-M.jpg

3)647310545_C3Q3i-M.jpg

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    Hi Heather wave.gif

I think you did very good for your first attempt! I prefer the 2nd one, since you seem most natural and relaxed in it. Also, the angle of your glasses is better, compared to the 3rd shot; you can clearly see a lot of (distracting) reflection in your glasses in that shot. Glasses are always tricky if you ask me, especially doing selfportraits since you can't see what you are shooting. I have the same problem.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    they are hard aren't they?mwink.gif

I like the idea in #1 but it doesn't feel very natural..#2 is best technically. #2 and #3 seem to have green cast to them that #1 doesn't have.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • PinkShoesRCoolPinkShoesRCool Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    #1 might be cool black & white with lots of contrast, lend a more moody feel but I like #2 the best too. Your half-smirk makes me think you have a secret that you're not telling. And the lighting is great! :) Nice job.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    I get a lot of who you are in #1
    Growing with Dgrin

• lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    like the pose in 1 the best, but looks like the chair is in focus and not you. I would also like 3 if you didn't have reflections in your glasses. SP's are difficult, I just did my first ones last week! :D
  • Raina.RaeRaina.Rae Registered Users Posts: 205 Major grins
    Thank you for the comments.
    Yes self portrates are hard, especilly getting the camera focused right. Thank you for the suggestion, i'll try #1 in black and white to see how that looks. I'm not seeing a green tint in #2 and #3 on my screen.

Does any one have any suggestions as how to minimize reflection/glare from glasses? I was shooting in completely natural light coming in from my front window and side windows.

Heather
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Raina.Rae wrote:
    Thank you for the comments.
    Yes self portrates are hard, especilly getting the camera focused right. Thank you for the suggestion, i'll try #1 in black and white to see how that looks. I'm not seeing a green tint in #2 and #3 on my screen.

Does any one have any suggestions as how to minimize reflection/glare from glasses? I was shooting in completely natural light coming in from my front window and side windows.

Heather
    15524779-Ti.gif - Self-portraits are quite difficult. My avitar is one such and I won't go into how long it took me to get it focused and framed to my taste (or lack there of :D).

For the glasses, raise the temples (the ear-pieces) just a touch. This will cause the lenses to angle down a touch. Another solution is to turn your face either towards the light more or away from it a touch - this will change the angle between the camera, your lenses, and the light source, maybe enough to remove the reflections on the glasses.

As for the green tint - is there, by any chance, a lot of green trees, shrubs, grass, etc outside your window. If so, that could be enough to cast a slight green tint on things.
  • Raina.RaeRaina.Rae Registered Users Posts: 205 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    It was suggested I try some of the photos in black and white. These are the results.

1)650799575_rCGG9-M.jpg

2)650799684_NLdgj-M.jpg