DSS #33 Refining a concept

RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
edited September 13, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is just a test to see what people think, the framing isn't what I wanted, and neither is my "model's" pose, but it'll have to do until the next dive... communication with the subject is more than a little bit tricky on scuba and with only one hand free!

For now I'm just trying to find the right ambient/flash/blur balance for the shot. All feedback appreciated!

647403011_yRVRb-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    Don't know if you can capture the entry from the boat into the water from underwater (and how that would look). Here, there isn't a grand sense of motion to me, but rather a blurry shot. I think you have a great subject here, so keep at it.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    I do not know about an re-shoot but if you can freeze from the hips up and movement from the legs thumb.gif say you had something to hold from the left arm that would help hold the upper body or do an accent
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Don't know if you can capture the entry from the boat into the water from underwater (and how that would look). Here, there isn't a grand sense of motion to me, but rather a blurry shot. I think you have a great subject here, so keep at it.
    Unfortunately, no boat ne_nau.gif

I agree with your impression, I've got a lot of blur in places I don't want it, even the style of kick he's doing here isn't what I'd like, but fortunately I do have the chance to reshoot a bunch of times over the next few days.
    jwear wrote:
    I do not know about an re-shoot but if you can freeze from the hips up and movement from the legs thumb.gif say you had something to hold from the left arm that would help hold the upper body or do an accent
    Good suggestion, but it's tough to find a solid point in this lake, anything you touch results in masses of fine particles getting stirred up, which is needless to say, bad for pictures! I'll see what we can do though.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Robinivich wrote:
    Good suggestion, but it's tough to find a solid point in this lake, anything you touch results in masses of fine particles getting stirred up, which is needless to say, bad for pictures!

Maybe not bad for this challenge though if it creates a sense of movement...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Maybe not bad for this challenge though if it creates a sense of movement...
    Sadly no, it's more like trying to use flash in a snowstorm, the metering goes wonky and you can't find your subject to save your life (perhaps literally?)

We did consider him finning quite violently against the bottom to create a sort of "blastoff" effect, maybe I'll give it another go, the problem is you only get one or two shots at it, and then you have to navigate by touch...