Gum

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
647402110_yD2oK-XL.jpg
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2009
    I want to reach out and push all the scattered pieces into line with the others :D

Nice photo -- may I ask what kind of lighting you used?
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    Lee,

Very clever and very well shot. I can't wait to see more of your works as you explore with your approaches to studio lighting. This shot will send an organizational freak to the insane asylum:D . I love it.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    Hi Lee,
    clap.gif the colors are great as well as the way you scattered the gum--You've been pushing me to see everyday subjects as possible art, specially with your "available light" post and now this.

I wondered how long it took you to set up the gum, did you purposely arrange the colors a certain way, was there a pattern to them--then my eye started twitching so I had to stop :D .
    Liz A.
    _________
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    Dogdots wrote:
    I want to reach out and push all the scattered pieces into line with the others :D

Nice photo -- may I ask what kind of lighting you used?

Mary Kim. After all the time it took me to scatter them (after lining them up) you want to put them back? mwink.gif I used one bare strobe difused with a shoot-through screen.
    Lee,

Very clever and very well shot. I can't wait to see more of your works as you explore with your approaches to studio lighting. This shot will send an organizational freak to the insane asylum:D . I love it.

Take care,

Tom

Thank you, Tom. I'm working on more ideas. You might want to read the comments on either side of yours. :D

Hi Lee,
    clap.gif the colors are great as well as the way you scattered the gum--You've been pushing me to see everyday subjects as possible art, specially with your "available light" post and now this.

I wondered how long it took you to set up the gum, did you purposely arrange the colors a certain way, was there a pattern to them--then my eye started twitching so I had to stop :D .

Liz. The hardest part was keeping one edge to remain straight while lining up the other, so I gave up. The color pattern is a top-secret arrangement that I call "random." I think you can get something for your eye at your local pharmacy. rolleyes1.gif

Thank you all for your comments.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    I like it Lee,

I know it's arranged in Alien code (but I won't tell anyone) thumb.gif
    Randy
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Clever shot, and well done. It is modeled off the communication board from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, right? :D
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Very nice! clap.gif
    I only wish BG was more interesting - like total black or something... headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    rwells wrote:
    I like it Lee,

I know it's arranged in Alien code (but I won't tell anyone) thumb.gif
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Clever shot, and well done. It is modeled off the communication board from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, right? :D

Thanks guys. No, but now I'm thinking I should have titled it, "A Breakdown in Communication." :D

Nikolai wrote:
    Very nice! clap.gif
    I only wish BG was more interesting - like total black or something... headscratch.gif

Actually, I wanted a lighter background, but this gray card (18%) was all I could find without going pure white. I need to shop for some construction paper in various colors or, at least, something with a smoother texture.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Actually, I wanted a lighter background, but this gray card (18%) was all I could find without going pure white. I need to shop for some construction paper in various colors or, at least, something with a smoother texture.
    I actually meant no bg at all...

like so (quick and dirty):

648596913_rjk4H-X3.jpg

(sorry for going into editing your image without asking first, I can take it off if you want)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Very nice! clap.gif
    For you a B&W variation on this image mught do the trick! :Dthumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    DonRicklin wrote:
    FOr you a B&W variation on this image mught do the trick! :Dthumb.gif

Don

Tried it. Didn't work at all.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Tried it. Didn't work at all.
    ne_nau.gif Only a suggestion for Nikolai's tastes! :D
    rolleyes1.gif

If it don't work, oh well.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited September 15, 2009
    I have no problem with you editing my image, Nikolai. Now I get to see it as another likes it without having to do any actual work. :D

It looks good the way you did it, but I don't like the floating feel it gives me. To me, when a number of items are set to a pattern, it doesn't seem right to float it. Thank you for taking the time on it, though.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook