On the shelf

thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome and appreciated.

3913760957_14f1c3420e_o.jpg

Enjoy!
Travis

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    And I thought the People forum was difficult. Folks don't even open the damned thread here. headscratch.gif
    Travis
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    Hello,
    You know I stopped by a firehouse last week to try something very similar to this and no dice..

This one is much better than mine. Really dig the colors, the comp, the DOF--

Ok I'm new so I'm not sure--is it slightly tilted or is that an illusion?
    Liz A.
    _________
    Hello,
    You know I stopped by a firehouse last week to try something very similar to this and no dice..

This one is much better than mine. Really dig the colors, the comp, the DOF--

Ok I'm new so I'm not sure--is it slightly tilted or is that an illusion?
    Thanks for the comments, Liz. The tilt, as far as my eyes can tell, is an optical illusion. I messed with it for several minutes in Lightroom because I also thought it was crooked. I appreciate the kind words.
    Travis
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Travis, I really like this image. It seems to really capture the preparedness of the Fire Fighters, the bits of name make it personal without it being about a specific person, and the color are wonderfully saturated. There's also enough of the other helmets that you gain an appreciation of how many firefighters there are in that station.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Travis, I really like this image. It seems to really capture the preparedness of the Fire Fighters, the bits of name make it personal without it being about a specific person, and the color are wonderfully saturated. There's also enough of the other helmets that you gain an appreciation of how many firefighters there are in that station.
    Thank you, Andrew. I've been working on my post processing a lot recently so I'm glad to hear the colors are appealing.
    Travis
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    thoth wrote:
    And I thought the People forum was difficult. Folks don't even open the damned thread here. headscratch.gif

Don't take it personal....................it's just the way it is.

It's pretty common to have a 100 hits and only one or two comments, if that.

Many have time for a quick look, but not enough time to post comments.

Sam
    Sam wrote:
    Don't take it personal....................it's just the way it is.

It's pretty common to have a 100 hits and only one or two comments, if that.

Many have time for a quick look, but not enough time to post comments.

Sam
    Oh no, it wasn't that. I'm used to hundreds of lookers but no comments over in the People section. I was commenting on the fact that it was in the 2nd page graveyard with barely 30 views. As I said, it was barely even opened. Why post if nobody will look, ya know?
    Travis
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    I agree with Andrew....just showing partial names was a good idea. I saw the word "SON" and my first thought was there are many son's that are firemen.

Your choice of shooting from the side instead of direct on was an excellent idea -- in my opinion anyway.

Very good thumb.gif
    Dogdots wrote:
    I agree with Andrew....just showing partial names was a good idea. I saw the word "SON" and my first thought was there are many son's that are firemen.

Your choice of shooting from the side instead of direct on was an excellent idea -- in my opinion anyway.

Very good thumb.gif
    Thank you, Mary Kim. I was hoping someone would pick up on the "son" on the helmet. I thought it added a bit of depth to the shot as well. Thanks for the comment!
    Travis
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Andrew said:

Ditto! thumb.gif Excellent shot! Love the colors, but I also wonder how it would do in B&W?

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    redleash wrote:
    Andrew said:

Ditto! thumb.gif Excellent shot! Love the colors, but I also wonder how it would do in B&W?

Cheers,
    Lauren
    Thanks, Lauren. I did try the shot in B&W but it didn't feel the same to me. It did feel darker, with perhaps more loss, but I didn't necessarily want the shot to be about loss. Thanks for your input!
    Travis
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure sometimes what might work in B&W without seeing it; I'm trying to learn to visualize better. Sounds like this one might have struck you also, as having B&W potential, but it didn't work as well as your original image. If you were not going solely for loss, then I think you made the right choice keeping it in color. It is really hard to forego that nice yellow!

BTW, where did you shoot this?

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    redleash wrote:
    Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure sometimes what might work in B&W without seeing it; I'm trying to learn to visualize better. Sounds like this one might have struck you also, as having B&W potential, but it didn't work as well as your original image. If you were not going solely for loss, then I think you made the right choice keeping it in color. It is really hard to forego that nice yellow!

BTW, where did you shoot this?

Lauren
    Indeed, that yellow turned out nice and vibrant. I don't do a lot of color work so it was nice to keep it. I think the image could have gone either way, though, depending on the mood of the photographer so you were right on track with suggesting B&W as well.

I shot this in a small town down the road over the weekend. They were having a ribbon cutting for their new firehouse and I was covering the event for a small local paper.
    Travis