5D II does Youth Soccer

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited September 23, 2009 in Cameras
I'm quite satisfied for an overcast, low contrast day...

647064906_AADXD-X2-1.jpg

647072610_FYXvs-X2-1.jpg

647071023_PMKHR-X2-1.jpg

Just got a 5D-II on 9/1. I also have a 1D2N, so I was hoping the 7D would be either FF or APS-H so I could consolidate lenses. But it's not so here I am with a 5D-II and I'm loving it. I would say the autofocus system is better than my (now sold) 40D and not as good as my 1D, obviously. The servo tracking with the AF expansion points on is really quite good. So I'm not sure what all the whining is about regarding the AF. Sure, it would be great if it had the 7D AF (assuming it works as advertised), but that wasn't available a year ago.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    Is it me or is the photos not showing? ne_nau.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Is it me or is the photos not showing? ne_nau.gif
    It's you :D

Great shots; I still love my 5d2 very much and think it's a great camera. It's not a real 'sports-camera' really, but as you demonstrated it does very well with sports!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    ivar wrote:
    It's you :D

Nope, it's not just him - me too. Firefox user; no photo displaying.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    divamum wrote:
    Nope, it's not just him - me too. Firefox user; no photo displaying.
    I'm on firefox and can see them just fine ne_nau.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    I see the first image just fine and a fine image it is too.

The 5D MKII has a similar AF section to the Canon 40D/50D, with the addition of some hidden "helper" AF points that only activate during AI Servo mode. If you have enough light and if the subject has enough contrast, it works pretty well as demonstrated.

I see some shadow from both the ball and the boy so I think this was a "hazy" condition, probably around EV 13-14. Compared to night and indoor sports this is actually fairly bright and reasonable for the 5D MKII. Had this been professional sports it might have been more difficult but still doable.

It is with indoor hockey/soccer and night American football and such that the 5D MKII would probably suffer. In those conditions I definitely recommend a more sports oriented camera like a Canon 1D/1Ds series or a Nikon D3/D3x/D700.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Sorry! I had the gallery unprotected but external links turned off. Didn't realize that would hose the use of absolute URLs in forums.

Thanks for the comments so far!

It was actually pretty overcast and gray, so Cloudy WB to the rescue!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    Which lens was this? Just curious.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Which lens was this? Just curious.

70-200/4L IS.
    -Jack

• bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    Nice. The bokeh in the net shot is pretty neat. Were you wide open?
    Nice. The bokeh in the net shot is pretty neat. Were you wide open?

thanks, and yes, all 3 were at f/4. I am noticing more bokeh when shooting with this lens vs. on my old 40D.
    -Jack

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    I've only ever been frustrated with the auto focusing while using it in situations where I'd have to shoot at ISO 3200 on my 30D to get a properly exposed shot.

So I guess it's not too bad.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    thanks, and yes, all 3 were at f/4. I am noticing more bokeh when shooting with this lens vs. on my old 40D.

Welcome to full frame! :) The larger sensor has a definite impact on bokeh.