Faces from the North

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited September 23, 2009 in People
After too many weeks, I'm finally culling through photos from my travels through Scandinavia and Russia in July. It's easy to see the progression of the trip through the photos, and how the quality and subject matter change as I went from being on my own in Stockholm, to finding a new friend in Helsinki, to meeting up with my parents in St. Petersburg.

Likely not surprising that my most prolific images came from Stockholm, when I was on my own time, wandering Gamla Stan aimlessly, hopping the ferry to Skeppsholmen, walking back streets to the Vasa. I did not have to worry about anyone waiting on me as I stopped to take photos and, most importantly, meet a few new faces, one of my favorite parts of traveling.

Here I present a few of the wonderful characters I met during my journey, each one a happy memory of a specific place and time.

1. The Trolley Conductor
648152174_nFKWw-L.jpg

2. The Mustachioed Mechanic
647522534_mef4E-L.jpg

3. The Café Owner: I met him briefly my very first day in Stockholm, a jovial man who welcomed customers boisterously and engaged them with interactive menu suggestions in a mash of Swedish, German, French, Greek, English, and Italian: "This is good! Try this! You will like it better. This, this is no good for you." He was so charming and full of life, I decided to bookend my stay in Stockholm with another visit to his café for my last meal in the city, before I departed for Helsinki. And finally had the courage to ask if he would step outside a moment so I could take his picture.
647527359_LtWsL-L.jpg

4. The General Store Manager
647524449_C7KSZ-L.jpg

5. The Engineer: He spoke no English, but he watched me keenly as I spent time in the historical engineer's shop photographing the spin and slap of large rubber bands around gears and pulleys. When I slipped into the light-filled office with clean, wooden desks and an old drafting table overlaid with blueprints, he followed me in with excitement to show me a brilliant engineering feat: the desk before me was clean except for a large, ancient typewriter in the center, but with a flip of a panel, the center section—typerwriter and all—disappeared inside the desk, leaving behind only a clear writing surface with no hint of the typing machine in sight. We shared appreciation of such things in smiles and nods, which is the same way I asked if I could take his picture. Afterward, he opened a small drawer and handed me a highly fashioned nail as a keepsake. It stabbed me a few times in my journey afterward and on my way home, but each prick brought me back to the small, white office with this shy, proud man.
647525572_6BSPg-L.jpg

6. The Palace Guard
648041656_ivyv6-L.jpg

7. The Grocer
647571050_KF7tC-L.jpg

8. The Pilot
647579779_vh6uN-L.jpg

9. The Ceremonial Guard
647611124_bhqfZ-L.jpg

10. The Chaffeur: Our final day in St. Petersburg, I could not take in yet another palace, so I stayed behind in the comfy van with Nikolai, who had been driving us around the sprawling city the past few days. I spoke no Russian. He spoke no English. We sat mostly in silence enjoying the sound of the light rain skipping across the pavement as a cool breeze blew in from the open side door. In the back of the van hung a small, toy dog, which I gathered through gestures and vocal inflections was a gift and sort of good luck charm from another tourist. Comfortably bored after a while, I began to take photos of the van's interior, and I noticed on his dash three, small, gilded plaques painted with the portraits of saints. I knew Jesus and the Virgin Mary, but the third puzzled me. I pointed and asked who it was, hoping the tone of my voice would carry meaning beyond the language barrier. His face lit up as he answered that it was "St. Nikolai." I laughed because I should have known, and it was so appropriate. And in that moment I finally felt I could ask to take his picture.
647613570_VFnFb-L.jpg

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    Wonderful series! Thank you so much for sharing.

Caroline
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    Great photos! clap.gif
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Wonderful captures. The grocer is wonderful! Love the lighting. That palace guard doesn't look like he's finished middle school yet! The cafe' owner looks like a character. Looks like you captured that really well! Again, they are all really wonderful.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Beautiful photos!!! I envy you for your trip. And that grocer shot is to die for! What a perfect shot!! clap.giflust
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Stunning photographs ! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    Oooh, I am so glad you finally got time to post these. Gorgeous each one.
    I love your dof and backgrounds... how each one tells a bit of the story, the texture of their world, but doesn't take away from the lovely portrait.

And I love the journaling! It adds so much!
    iloveyou.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    Thank you, all. I appreciate the encouragement. iloveyou.gif

And Andrew, that palace guard is actually a girl. :D
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Wonderful captures. The grocer is wonderful! Love the lighting. That palace guard doesn't look like he's finished middle school yet! The cafe' owner looks like a character. Looks like you captured that really well! Again, they are all really wonderful.

I thought that about the palace guard at first too. But . . .after closer inspection got to wondering if it might actually be a gal instead. Maybe Kerry knows?

Jane B.

PS It now seems that Kerry is a mind reader and answered while I was typing!
    Jane B. wrote:
    PS It now seems that Kerry is a mind reader and answered while I was typing!
    lol3.gif

To be fair, though, none of the palace guards were very old. It was a bit startling to see so many youthful faces toting around bayonets.
    648407936_vWMWN-L.jpg
  • cwoodardcwoodard Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    Wow, what a wonderful series of photos. Really impressive.
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    I thoroughly enjoyed seeing these and the accompanying explanations. My favorites were the Cafe Owner, the Engineer and the Grocer. Wonderful. thumb.gifYou must have a way with people.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    I saw these when you first posted and haven't had a chance to reply until now.

These are WONDERFUL, Kerry - I love the bw treatments you've used, and your choices of lighting in situ really complement each subject (and more and more I'm coming to believe that this is the mark of a great photographer - sure, "making" light is an art too, but USING WHAT'S THERE effectively even when it's not playing in your favour is a skill I truly admire).

I love them all, but #2 manages to somehow be current and vintage simlutaneously; between his (to our US eyes) rather old-fashioned 'tache, the uniform, and the bw, it's like stepping back in time.

You've really captured some special moods in each of these - brava!
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    Great portraits. I'm sure these people would be very happy to see or have a copy of their portraits. I know it's not obligatory but do you make the effort to share these with them?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    Thank you for all the kind words! iloveyou.gif I'm a late-comer to portraits, believing early on that I loved to shoot landscape and architecture. Well, the architecture part remains true (I love buildings; churches in particular fascinate me), but I've found myself drifting further away from landscapes and more toward people. I find the faces evoke more memories and emotions for me regarding specific places now, and I love the interactions portraiture brings about.

Diva, I find it interesting you mention the light because I wasn't conscious of it at the time. These were quick moments captured in passing. The only person I consciously moved was the café owner because inside his café was so dark. Everyone else I just walked up to and shot where they were already standing. I was lucky with lots of overcast days while there. :D
    Cuong wrote:
    Great portraits. I'm sure these people would be very happy to see or have a copy of their portraits. I know it's not obligatory but do you make the effort to share these with them?
    That's an excellent point that never really occurred to me. I carry my business cards with me everywhere to be prepared if someone asks me for information, but I've never thought about handing one out to someone I've photographed on the fly. It's so simple, I feel silly for not having thought of it before. Something I'll definitely keep in mind during my next venture. Thank you for the very good suggestion. thumb.gif
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    Given the prevalence of internet access, it's so much easier to share photos with our subjects nowadays. Hand out the business cards, then it's up to them to go and look. Now I need to get some business cards for such occasion.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Great post! I particularly like #7, and 8.

Sam
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    I find these images very impressive. Lot's of character shown through.
    Love the conversions also.

Very well done thumb.gif
    Randy
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    Very nice series of portraits, Kerry.

I, especially, like 3, 4, and 7.

Lovely monochrome conversions on all your B&Ws.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Llywellyn wrote:

Diva, I find it interesting you mention the light because I wasn't conscious of it at the time. These were quick moments captured in passing. The only person I consciously moved was the café owner because inside his café was so dark. Everyone else I just walked up to and shot where they were already standing. I was lucky with lots of overcast days while there. :D

I'm willing to bet that even though it wasn't "conscious", your eye is working overtime ALL the time... I've seen too many wonderful photos from you to doubt it!! thumb.gif Even if it was a case of "just walking up to them and shooting", remember that your own body language and positioning, which side you approached from, how you angled yourself once you got there - conscious or not - will play into the resultant shot. People will turn towards the camera if you're taking a picture so it's not ALL luck on your part ..... :D
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    Some great images here...nice work on the B&W.thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    Excellent set Kerry! Processing is super on all of them, but #3 and #7 really stood out for me! (Hope you post more!)
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    fabulous set. I especially adore all the B&W!!clap.gif
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
    edited September 21, 2009
    Woo, sorry for the lag in my reply! Work has been a bit insane. eek7.gif

Thank you for the kind words! I find it interesting that so many enjoy #7 because I almost didn't include it with this set. For the B&Ws, I used a combination of LR presets and Photoshop actions to get the contrasty type of B&W I like. thumb.gif
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Woo, sorry for the lag in my reply! Work has been a bit insane. eek7.gif

Thank you for the kind words! I find it interesting that so many enjoy #7 because I almost didn't include it with this set. For the B&Ws, I used a combination of LR presets and Photoshop actions to get the contrasty type of B&W I like. thumb.gif

Favorites are 1, 3, and like so many others, 7. Great post processing. It was nice that you were able to get these interesting subjects to pose for you. Good job. Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • JC3dJC3d Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Hey Kerry. I love these, esp. the B&W. So crisp and clean.

Would you indulge me a little?

I would like to know what camera and lense/s you chose for your walk-a-bouts.

Also, it would be educational to see a before PP and after together. Could you pick one for me?

Thanks, John
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    great pics
    Love 7 like everyone else, but enjoy 4 just as much. Like how you've framed him with the background. Great stuff. I've come back to this thread several times to look them over.
    JC3d wrote:
    Would you indulge me a little?
    Happy to do so, John. thumb.gif

My favorite combination is my Nikon D700 and 50/1.4, and that's what I used for most of these portraits. In places with crowds or where I was not allowed to approach closely, such as with the Palace Guard and Ceremonial Guard, I broke out the 70-200/2.8 VR.

Here's a before and after of #1 and #7.

1. 50mm, f/4.0, 1/400s, ISO 400
    658559516_aj6RP-M.jpg648152174_nFKWw-M.jpg

7. 50mm, f/2.8, 1/50s, ISO 400
    658559763_WVdZp-M.jpg647571050_KF7tC-M.jpg
    Cool! Thank-you Kerry.
    Alright! One more thing Kerry-

In #1, how did you fix his squinty left eye? Did you clone from the right?
    JC3d wrote:
    In #1, how did you fix his squinty left eye? Did you clone from the right?

Combination of warp tool, cloning, and regular ol' paintbrush on the whites of his eye.