First Shoot

wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in People
Tough economic times force desparate forays into the unknown:

Trying to sell some hats...

600-khats-cj0184.jpg

600-khats-j0195.jpg

This stuff is beyond me. I probably should have tried featuring the product more. Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated.

(I'd rather be doing landscapes tho)
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    Welcome to the People world, Walter!

The two things that struck me first about these shots are that I cannot see the detail on the hats and the backgrounds are pretty darn busy. Given how great your landscape work is, why not take this young lady, and your hats, out to the desert and incorporate that into the advertisement? A nice wide lens could get us in close on the hats and turn those backgrounds into something beautiful.
    Travis
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Welcome to the People world, Walter!

The two things that struck me first about these shots are that I cannot see the detail on the hats and the backgrounds are pretty darn busy. Given how great your landscape work is, why not take this young lady, and your hats, out to the desert and incorporate that into the advertisement? A nice wide lens could get us in close on the hats and turn those backgrounds into something beautiful.

Thanks Travis, I'll see what I can do.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Hi Walter,

I think it's a good attempt, but in general there are too many things that take away the attention from that what the photo is trying to sell; The hat (as you said yourself in your original post).

The 2nd one seems to be the stronger of the two. It seems much more clear what the purpose of the shot is.

I agree with thoth on the background being too distractive. Try a shallower DoF and focus for the hat. The girl could be a bit OoF as well, she's a nice girl but it's about the hats. Maybe even a light/flash on the hats to make them pop out a bit?