Options

New frontiers for me - "No Evil" 18+

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited September 3, 2010 in Go Figure
During my last shoot with Michael we did another totally different set.
I experimented with the possibly over used cliché of, See no evil, Hear no evil, Say no evil.
This image has been stuck in my head for several years and I could not resist shooting it since Michael is perfect for the part.

In triptych style:
No Evil

647863360_Cj5mC-O-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Sean

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited September 13, 2009
    Excellent! clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Sean, this is awesome! clap.gif
    Idea, execution, model, props, postprocessing... Man...bowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    Awesome idea and an incredible execution!!
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    Wow - I certainly did not expect such a great response.
    Thank you so much for the feedback everyone.

My wife and daughter both looked at the top one (see no evil) and thought that the folds of skin near the groin area were "underwear", so I have updated the image to fix that. Even though it was never the case I prefer it to look like it was intended.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    All if them are interesting, but I like #3 the best - the post and texture are quite nice, but the eye visabilty really make the difference to me.
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    WOW! This is great! Maybe I missed it tho, 18+?
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    This is an excellent execution of this theme. The texturing masks the intent enough to force the viewer to really dig at what it is you are trying to convey.

One small nit - maybe - is the processing of his left eye in the first image. The difference between his two eyes leave me with an "unbalanced" feel - or was that what you were intending?
  • Options
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    WOW! This is great! Maybe I missed it tho, 18+?

Reading the rules I was under the impression that when in doubt put (18+), I do realize that in today's world we have been quite desensitized to the view the human body and most are not offended. But better to be safe than sorry IMHO.

Thanks for the comment John :D
  • Options
    This is an excellent execution of this theme. The texturing masks the intent enough to force the viewer to really dig at what it is you are trying to convey.

One small nit - maybe - is the processing of his left eye in the first image. The difference between his two eyes leave me with an "unbalanced" feel - or was that what you were intending?

Thanks Scott, I agree the difference is somewhat unbalanced and funny enough I looked at it for quite some time considering my options. In the end I think I felt that the left side (his right eye area) drew the viewer towards his face and part of the reason is it is so much different than the shadowed side.

So if that is a round the bush way of saying I intended it then ... yes rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    This is just too cool in so many ways! thumb.gif
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    wowowow great job!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2009
    Thank you!

Idlewild and VayCayMom,
    for taking the time to comment, your feedback is much appreciated. :D
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Let me add my WOW to the list. What perfect execution. I'd love to see this in a bigger format to get all of the details but WOW! did I mention WOW! thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    RBrogen wrote:
    Let me add my WOW to the list. What perfect execution. I'd love to see this in a bigger format to get all of the details but WOW! did I mention WOW! thumb.gif

Hi Randy!

Thanks for your very generous comment. I realized after reading your post that I had been tinkering with my galleries and inadvertently changed the maximum size on this gallery to 'Large'. I have switched it back so you can see all the details in the 2000 pixel tall version.

I took a look at your site and I must say you have done a really wonderful job of customizing it, you have some really beautiful work.

Thanks again
    Sean
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    sherstone wrote:
    Hi Randy!

Thanks for your very generous comment. I realized after reading your post that I had been tinkering with my galleries and inadvertently changed the maximum size on this gallery to 'Large'. I have switched it back so you can see all the details in the 2000 pixel tall version.

I took a look at your site and I must say you have done a really wonderful job of customizing it, you have some really beautiful work.

Thanks again
    Sean

Thank you Sean. This series is even more impressive at the larger size. This deserves to be marketed bud! I would love to know more about the processing you did on this if you wouldn't mind sharing. bowdown.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    RBrogen wrote:
    I would love to know more about the processing you did on this if you wouldn't mind sharing. bowdown.gif
    Since you asked, I would be glad to share.

Here is the unprocessed shot straight from camera
    659667316_USaaX-S.jpg

Then I applied several processing steps in Lightroom
    Contrast, Clarity, Saturation (less), Vibrance (less), Temperature, Black Point have all been adjusted.
    659667428_SQsgh-S.jpg

Next we crop and clean up the box as well as remove small details like the metal braces holding the box together.
    659667399_HG365-S-1.jpg

The next step is to add a more interesting and gritty background. I love bricks and old brick is even better. It is important not to replace the background but merge the subtle graduations of light on it with the brick. This is accomplished by using overlay mode and a mask.
    659667378_5iud9-S.jpg

After adding the background, I decided that I wanted the whole feel to the image to have some gritty texture. Adding this image in 'overlay' mode, on the top layer gave the look I was after.
    659667453_9QLQc-S.jpg

Here is what we have after all the layers have been added and his ear has been removed for the theme.
    659672524_C6C6n-S.jpg

Finally, because the final image was always planned on being a triptych style image, we need a matching frame to go around each of the panels. This is another image of cement with mold and peeling paint. I always find myself taking pictures of textures just so I can later use them in my work.
    659667355_B73uR-S.jpg

The final piece is 16.5" wide and 42" tall at 300 dpi. so it can be printed quite large. I am going to be ordering some canvas versions of it so I can wrap them using a custom frame.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask them.
    Hopefully this makes sense and gives you a glimpse into how "no evil" was made.

Sean
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Very nice, thank you for sharing! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Much better..the firs tones you posted, I didn't comment, because I couldn't truly discern the work. And it is a work, of art~

Nice to see men in here too..

Textures. Always can use more~
    tom wise
  • Options
    dwingedwinge Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2010
    This is exceptional !! Very well done.
  • Options
    TrigPhotographyTrigPhotography Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Fantastic! Love the results and thanks for sharing your process.
    Frank C. Grace
    Shooting with a Pentax K-5 and a slew of other goodies
    SmugMug | HDR Spotting | Flickr | Facebook | Google+
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2010
    Thank you! :D
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Super, Super, Super Cool. I even capitalized all those words. It seemed appropriate. This is like the stuff I formulate in my head, but never actually am able to realize. Excellent work.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    JR303JR303 Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    This is one of the coolest renditions of an old theme I've seen in a long, long time. Great job.

John
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    Sean, just discovered this as I don't often frequent go figure.
    Just wanted to say that this is stunning, a true work of art that I could easily see hanging in one of my local galleries. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    It is certainly nice to get such positive feedback, thank you everyone.

An update: I have had this printed at 24"x72" and will be entering it into an annual local fine arts show that takes place in Sooke BC. Crossing my fingers that it gets accepted for the show.
  • Options
    ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Very very cool I love this
  • Options
    TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Wow... Great way to put a new spin on an old topic..
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    It's amazing how this keeps getting dug up and resurfaces.

Thanks everyone.
    BTW - I have a 6' canvas print of this that needs a home in a gallery some where mwink.gif