White balance help

ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
edited September 17, 2009 in People
Here are two images from a session today. This is my first session shooting all RAW images so I'm fairly new to adjusting white balance in PP. After first viewing the images I felt they needed warming just a touch but then my eyes tell me they're too yellow. Can someone give me some advice or just tell me which image is better?

This is just the test shot to check lighting and I understand the boys aren't smiling. It was just the first off the camera so I started working with it. There are much better images I promise.

1. This is the RAW image with no adjustments.

648661681_vZetx-M.jpg

2. This is after my white balance adjustment.

648665097_RrwDQ-M.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Wes
Clix Photography
www.clix-photo.com

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    The second image looks too warm to me.

Caroline
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    JMHO....I am far from totally knowledgible in this area

I think in the first image, the skintones look ok, perhaps just a smidge cool, but not too bad. It's the bricks that look somewhat dull.

Then in the second image, the skintones and cement look a little warm, but the bricks look nice.

I think, for me at least, the bricks throw it off. What happens if you brighten/warm the bricks in the background, without doing anything to the rest of it?
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    The second image looks too warm to me.

Caroline

Thanks momma bear. Does the first appear to cool or just right?

I hope that didn't sound to smart a--. I just couldn't resist. Thanks for your insight.
    What happens if you brighten/warm the bricks in the background, without doing anything to the rest of it?

I have an older version of PS Elements so I will have to do some work to achieve this but I see what your saying and agree with you. I would however have to do this process to between 50 and 75 images.

Thanks for the advice.

Wes
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Wes,
    If you are going to start shooting RAW, you may want to pick up some type of WB card. Most of my portrait shoots begin with a photo like this one. You can then set the WB easily with the eye dropper tool in ACR.

233885946_geYzU-XL.jpg
    Mitchell wrote:
    If you are going to start shooting RAW, you may want to pick up some type of WB card.

Do you just shoot a test shot and adjust later or is there an adjustment in camera? If you simply use the eye dropper in post, what purpose are the grey squares on the card?

Thanks,

Wes
    www.clix-photo.com
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    Clixphoto wrote:
    Do you just shoot a test shot and adjust later or is there an adjustment in camera? If you simply use the eye dropper in post, what purpose are the grey squares on the card?

Thanks,

Wes
    www.clix-photo.com

I shoot this card for the 18% grey in the upper left. I use this to set my WB in ACR and then apply the same settings to subsequent photos with the same lighting setup.

This card came is some book I purchased years ago. I do like the white and black squares for a levels check, but they are not really necessary.
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    Hey Mitch...I got mine in a book by Scott Kelby I think it was on Adobe Photoshopt CS3 and it was a tear away in the back.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
    Mitchell wrote:
    I shoot this card for the 18% grey in the upper left. I use this to set my WB in ACR and then apply the same settings to subsequent photos with the same lighting setup.

This card came is some book I purchased years ago. I do like the white and black squares for a levels check, but they are not really necessary.

I'm not sure I'm setting my white balance correctly. When I use the eye dropper my program says to click an area that is either white or black. I'm not on my home computer so I'm not sure what would happen if I clicked the grey. So is the grey card the one I should be using?
  • Mohamed.GhuloomMohamed.Ghuloom Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    Usually for best results you gotta adjust your white balance to a neutral color, not pure white, nor pure black.

I like the first photo more, maybe if you do more adjustments the photo will look much better. remember, you don't have to get the WB accurate as long as you get a great final result.
    Mohamed Photos
    Give a Message
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    It is difficult to choose the right color balance because there are some other factors affecting the final appearance of these photos. #1 is a bit cyan but it is also flat. #2 is too warm but it is also oversaturated which is giving it a contrastier appearance and warmer tone. I think the second would probably be the better choice if the other adjustments were made and then balance the exposure/contrast. This will reduce the skintones to a more natural color and maintain the color and contrast in the background. (bricks)
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Also, unrelated to your question, I would crop out the two extra chairs, or at least a large portion of them. Not only are they not necessary but their absence will help concentrate the attention to your subjects.
    edited September 17, 2009
    Also, unrelated to your question, I would crop out the two extra chairs, or at least a large portion of them. Not only are they not necessary but their absence will help concentrate the attention to your subjects.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have some final images I will post in a few days.

Wes