New at this...

SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in People
New to (semi)serious photography, trying to learn and do better. I got a Fujifilm S100fs a few weeks ago, and as I learn the camera, I'm also learning technique.

I went on a motorcycle ride for a bit today with a friend, and during a break we had a chance to snap a few photos. Nothing was "posed" per se, but I like capturing a moment as it happens, as much as I can.

I'm also playing with color, when to keep it, when to split, and when to go B&W.

Any comments and helpful tips are appreciated... thanks!

648864512_rTHej-XL.jpg

648865379_w9TUm-XL.jpg

648863998_6V6At-XL.jpg
Fuji X-S10
Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Seems like you were in some harsh conditions (mainly the sun). I think you did good, though!

As far as technique, etc, I prefer #1. I would have left a bit more room above her head though. Besides the fact that a very small part of her head is cut off, if you print this even more will be cut off most likely.

I love her smile in #2! Shooting in the bright sun makes for really pronounced and dark shadows on her face. Do you have any shots from the shade by any chance?

On the third it looks like you either just missed the focus, or you were so close that it couldn't focus on her face? The right side of her hoodie/vest seems to be in focus most.
    Smithy wrote:
    I'm also playing with color, when to keep it, when to split, and when to go B&W.
    There can be a variety of reasons to keep a shot in color or go to black/white. In the end it is up to you. As far as partial black&white/color, there seems to be a division among photographers. Some never use it, some do. Personally i'm not a fan of it in most situations since it rarely seems to add anything to the photo, but that's just me.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    Ivar is right in everything he said. Posing and composition, #1 is the best though it is a bit OOF.

#2 focus is best, but the composition and posing are a bit boring - she's square to the camera and centered in the frame.

#3 focus is off and the lower left corner suffers seriously blown pixels, but for me this is the most interesting. I really like it.

As for the selective colorization .... I'm not a big fan as so many use it "wrong" in converting to B&W that which is normally the focus of the photo. In your #2, I like the way you did it and it seems as if there's still just a hint of color in the background - as if it's just hugely de-saturated rather than converted to absolutly B&W. Whatever, the effect is well done.
  • SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    Thanks for the comments, guys.

#1, I did the crop in PS, I can re-crop it with a little more room around the head... easy enough.

#2, I BW'd the background 'cause it was just sooooo green, it was overwhelming, especially with her shirt color. I don't like how crisp her outline is, it almost makes her appear PS'd into the photo, but I'm not sure how to soften that up at all. I used 2 layers, made the bottom one black and white by desaturating all the color channels, and then used the eraser on the top color layer to get rid of everything that wasn't her, with a fuzzy edge paint brush on her edges.

#3, yeah, autofocus killed me here, but I kind of like the soft look to her face - but you're right, having that soft, and the jacket sharp, kills it. I guess it was just my favorite angle of the ones I shot for that look.

I'll go back through my collection and see what I can do - I really want to improve my work, and your comments and help are invaluable. Thank you.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

Here's a re-crop of #1

649410093_MmRCQ-XL.jpg

And #2 in full color:
    649409581_AUAze-XL.jpg

I'll be back later tonight with more thoughts on this, and maybe a couple more pictures. Again, I really appreciate the help and input.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    Reflector buddy, ho!

I have to say that a reflector has made a world of difference for me in outdoor shoots. Bring a friend along and have them hold the reflector to bounce light into the shadowed side of the face and viola! Oooorr... in ultra-bright sun, use it to diffuse some of that sunlight and shade the model a bit. I have a Promaster sunlight/white reflector that I bought for $30, and the sunlight side is just awesome for a nice, warm light and creating catchlights in the eyes.

Nicely done with the harsh conditions! #2 is nice and sharp.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    I guess that's the difference between pro's, and the rest of us. Gear of some sort. The way yesterday went, is my friend and I hopped on the motorcycle and took off for the mountains, and I brought my camera along "in case" anything interesting caught my eye. I'm not sure where I'd stash large rigid fabric frames, extra lights, reflectors, etc. on a bike... and I'm already hip-deep in hobbies to start collecting more stuff for this one, I'm afraid. My greatest hope is to learn to use the equipment I have well, and to better understand the issues of posing, cropping, color, focus, etc... without getting into studio-level work. Those who do all that have my greatest respect, and tend to attract great models, too... but I'm still learning the basics.

Like, not to go shooting in full southern California sunshine without a little shade. deal.gif
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Smithy wrote:
    I guess that's the difference between pro's, and the rest of us. Gear of some sort.
    I don't necessarily agree with you on this.

Smithy wrote:
    My greatest hope is to learn to use the equipment I have well, and to better understand the issues of posing, cropping, color, focus, etc...
    clap.gif I think that's the best thing you (or anyone) can do (and you don't need additional gear for that) wings.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Smithy wrote:
    Like, not to go shooting in full southern California sunshine without a little shade. deal.gif
    Yup. Or a fill. Or turning it into a silhouette. Or... mwink.gif
    PS
    I thought you're in VA...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Nikolai wrote:
    I thought you're in VA...

Socal through Dec. 14, then back to VA. Grad School (sucks).
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

Smithy wrote:
    Socal through Dec. 14, then back to VA. Grad School (sucks).
    Ah! Where in Socal? I'm in 91362, there is quite a few of us here in and around LA...
    Redlands, just east of San Bernardino. Do you have get-togethers, or anything, where a noob can learn something?
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

Smithy wrote:
    Redlands, just east of San Bernardino. Do you have get-togethers, or anything, where a noob can learn something?
    For the regular gettogethers I think Tom's LAShooters is the beast deal. Otherwise, just subscribe to Dgrin Meetups - Western US (or Eastern, when you're in VA:-)). There is also SMUG meeting coming up to LA on Sp 17th.
    Ohhhhhh, I wish it weren't the 17th... I have evening class until 8 that night, no way to make it over to Hollywood in time but to see everyone leave. :bluduh
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

• KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Just for the record, I'm not a pro and not rollin' in it, kinda the opposite, really! :) I just found that the reflector makes the difference between a shot that looks like regular dude did it and a shot that looks like a pro did it, and it was only 30 bucks!

It's my only off-camera light source because I can't afford anything else :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Just for the record, I'm not a pro and not rollin' in it, kinda the opposite, really! :) I just found that the reflector makes the difference between a shot that looks like regular dude did it and a shot that looks like a pro did it, and it was only 30 bucks!

It's my only off-camera light source because I can't afford anything else :D
    White foam-core board .... $2.50 for a 2' x 3' sheet - works great. A little awkward to carry around though mwink.gif And, if you need high reflectivity, you can always tape some aluminum foil to the surface deal.gif
    White foam-core board .... $2.50 for a 2' x 3' sheet - works great. A little awkward to carry around though mwink.gif And, if you need high reflectivity, you can always tape some aluminum foil to the surface deal.gif
    That, or a windshield reflector - portable, cheap, and always only a car away :-)
  • boblinboblin Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    Westcott makes durable reflectors that fold up(like a windshield reflector) into a very thin pouch that is only 10"-16" in diameter. You can get them in combinations of reflective surfaces(gold/silver, white/silver, etc.), and they are inexpensive(less than $25) for what they do. Your local camera store should have them, or you can find them at B&H and Adorama. Here's a link http://www.fjwestcott.com/products/array.cfm?tbl=reflectorsnew&catname=reflectors&head=reflectors[PHP][/PHP]
    Some Cameras
    Some lenses
    Some extra gear
    Some willing and unwilling subjects to photograph.
    Thanks, Boblin. One of my considerations, is that for the next few months at least, my only transportation is my motorcycle... so going light and compact is definately a requirement.
    Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs