Canon Standard Zoom replacement

ShadyMapleShadyMaple Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited September 14, 2009 in Cameras
Hey Folks

i'm in the process of buying a couple of new goodies :)

I currently use a Canon EOS 400D which i'll replace with the 7D (thats for sure). After that, i would like to buy at least a new standard zoom lens.

My current lenses:

EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (replace)
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (probably keep)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (keep)

I would like to replace the 17-85mm with a EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. Altough the newly launched EF-S 15-85 mm 1:3,5-5,6 IS USM confuses me, i don't think that the lens will beat the 17-55 2.8, right?

Do you folks have any other suggestions, should i evaluate some L-Lenses or does my planned setup sound good to you?

Have a nice day :)

Mike

edit: corrected EF-S 15-85 mm 1:3,5-5,6 IS USM ;)

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    ShadyMaple wrote:
    Hey Folks

i'm in the process of buying a couple of new goodies :)

I currently use a Canon EOS 400D which i'll replace with the 7D (thats for sure). After that, i would like to buy at least a new standard zoom lens.

My current lenses:

EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (replace)
    EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (probably keep)
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (keep)

I would like to replace the 17-85mm with a EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. Altough the newly launched EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM confuses me, i don't think that the lens will beat the 17-55 2.8, right?

Do you folks have any other suggestions, should i evaluate some L-Lenses or does my planned setup sound good to you?

Have a nice day :)

Mike
    According to the Canon web-site, there's nothing new about the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM - it's been around for at least a couple or three years. There is a "new" EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - that's a replacement for the dRebel kit lens. Said to be a huge improvement over the old 18-55, but still not even in the same class as the 17-55.

As for suggestions:
    • Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM is the front-runner
    • Tamron recently announced a SP AF17-50mm/2.8 XR VC Di II LD Aspherical (say that three times fast) - but I've not seen any reviews on this one yet.
    • Divamum really loves her Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    • There's also the venerable AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD - I have it and love it, especially on my full-frame. It might be just a touch long for some on a crop-sensor body.
    I have the Canon and love it. I've not read anywhere of anyone having any problems with the optics. As with anything, this lens does have it's detractors, mostly having to do with it's tendency to collect a speck or 3 of dust inside the front element.

Of course, both Sigma and Tokina have lenses in this range as well. As with anything else, opinions vary on each of the "3rd party" lenses.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins

As for suggestions:
    • Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM is the front-runner
    • Tamron recently announced a SP AF17-50mm/2.8 XR VC Di II LD Aspherical (say that three times fast) - but I've not seen any reviews on this one yet.
    • Divamum really loves her Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    • There's also the venerable AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD - I have it and love it, especially on my full-frame. It might be just a touch long for some on a crop-sensor body.

Ha! I guess I've now said that too many times.... but I do, I DO love my 17-50!! :giggle

Seriously, OP, if you need to stretch the pennies a little further, it's a great way to go. The AF is noisier than Canon's usm lenses, but I've found my copy has accurate and pretty zippy focus with my Xsi.

As for the new version with the VC.... I must admit, I don't usually have camera shake problems with the 17-50 focal length; that said, ANYthing which improves handholding in low light can only be a good thing. Of course, it remains to be seen whether it's worth the $250 extra that the new lens commands (and also how much heavier it is - the existing lens is robust, but nice and light)

Btw, does anybody know if they're going to continue to offer BOTH 17-50 lenses, or is going to be the new one only after existing stock is sold? headscratch.gif
  • ShadyMapleShadyMaple Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    Thanks you two, i appreciate it! I'm gonna take a look at Tamrons lenses, but so far, my favourite is still the 17-55 2.8 :)