DSS#33 moving in the right direction? ;)

jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
edited September 21, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I need to either go back to the gym or go back to the train station... but these are the two directions I am heading in. Any feedback most welcome :rolleyes

I caught this train this morning (so to speak) and I think I would like to go back with a slightly faster shutter speed to pick up more presence of the train. Wadda think?

Ghost Train #1
649210606_ndz25-L.jpg

Ghost Train #2
649211786_REy9L-L.jpg

Gym #1
649213688_WF6Nj-L.jpg

Thanks! Jeff

Comments

• ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Hi Jeff,
    I love the warmth from the orange glow in the first one, but I think the 2nd one has a better feel of movement from the "ghost train" (good title too)!
    The fighter one's good, but my personal preference would be for the train idea...hope that helps!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    #2! #2! The perspective in it is great! I wish there was a little more of the "uptown/7th" sign in the shot... did it get cut off somehow?

I don't think you need more train at all... just the lights as they are in #2 is all you need, imo.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    Thanks for the quick feedback guys!
    Thank you very much for the quick feedback. I was out getting early morning city shots this morning and found the train station to be a great place to get some motion shots. I wasn't prepared with the right lens and filter, so I need to go back. As for the sign, I will have to see what I can do. The view of the sign was a bit limited because I didn't want to get to close to the platform edge and get hit by the train. More sign is a good idea though. Thanks again. Keep the C&C coming please!
  • sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    Hi jeff - I think they are all awesome shots! I prefer the train shots - love the colors and composition and they are so cool! I would like #2 a little better but there's a larger dark chunk cut out by the wall which is somewhat distracting to me. Great capture of motion in all!
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    I agree with #2. Just the perfect amount of ghosting. If you reshoot, definitely try to get the crop of #1 (no wall on the right). I had the same idea, but I don't have near the nice backdrop as you. :D
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    I love all of these.... even if trains were my "back up plan" for an idea (you've done it better than I could have anyway, so I'm glad to see them!! thumb.gif)

I really like them both - I like the inclusion of text in the first one as well as the slightly darker exposure, but the 2nd one is a little cleaner. Both good shots, so take yer pick!!
    Thanks Guys!
    You guys rock. I am slammed right now but will try to get around for some commenting myself.
    So, I went out this morning for a reshoot of the train. Ya' know sometimes the first try ends up being the best and not to confuse anyone with too many options, but I would love any feedback on these three:

Reshoot #1
    650440106_rF2gA-L.jpg

Reshoot #2
    650438460_hDHYL-L.jpg

Reshoot #3
    650436946_zCiMf-L.jpg

Wadda think?
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    Hi Jeff,

I like your idea, however to be 100% honest I feel like there are too many elements that are fighting each other in the train images. By elements, I mean mostly various light sources ... from the buildings, train station, etc plus some other distractions. This makes it difficult to distinguish the "moving" train. You really have to look for it in order to see it (except maybe for the 3rd image of the 2nd set). If you could capture a moving train with a much darker background with fewer bright elements surrounding it so we could clearly tell that it is a moving train by looking at the image immediately instead of trying to look for its trails in an environment full of various strong light sources, it would look like a much stronger entry.

In your second set of images, I feel like that the images are being dominated by the light sources of the train station on the right which takes away from the sense of movement that we are supposed to be getting from the train. The other problem that these lights are causing is their reflections on the trains windows which is yet another distraction.

Again, great idea, however they are not working for me the way they have been currently captured. I know you will come up with something awesome like you always do though.

If I were to pick one out of the 6, I would have to go with the 2nd one in spite of the dark wall being in there.

edit: Thinking about it again, I think for this particular environment with so many different light sources, I would stick with a version where you capture the presence of the train (like in #6), however I would try to do a reshoot of the same scene without capturing the orange lights in the right. If you are going to do a version where you will only show the light streaks of the train and not the train itself, I would wait until it gets really dark before doing it, again without capturing the orange lights in the right, however you will still have their reflections to deal with.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

Thanks Allen
    ... to be 100% honest ... they are not working for me the way they have been currently captured.

So you are saying that I got up a the crack of dawn again to reshoot a bad scene? :splat

Sometimes it is hard for one to see the forest for the trees... or in my case it is hard to see the train for the station.

Good point Allen. I couldn't see the problem because I was too excited by the colors offered by the station. thumb.gif That was the kind of great feedback I was looking for.

Dang! :D Back to the drawing board.
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    jeffgroves wrote:
    So you are saying that I got up a the crack of dawn again to reshoot a bad scene? :splat

Sometimes it is hard for one to see the forest for the trees... or in my case it is hard to see the train for the station.

Good point Allen. I couldn't see the problem because I was too excited by the colors offered by the station. thumb.gif That was the kind of great feedback I was looking for.

Dang! :D Back to the drawing board.
    Hi Jeff,

Having seen your work since you joined these contests, I know what your capabilities are (great!) which is why I figured you are definitely capable of coming up with a much stronger version of the train image than you currently have :D
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited September 21, 2009
    I know what your capabilities are (great!) which is why I figured you are definitely capable of coming up with a much stronger version of the train.

Well, I ran out of time.