Options

Ice Hockey: San Jose Sharks Training Camp 2009

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited September 23, 2009 in Sports
Another year, another training camp :D

The San Jose Sharks training camp opened over the weekend and for the next few weeks, the roster will be trimmed. The sessions are opened to the public, and the schedule can be found here. Maybe I'll see you at the rink....

I stopped by for 20 minutes and got a handful of frames. Hopefully, I can hit a few more sessions....

1) Synchronized skating. Patrick Marleau and Joe Pavelski in South Rink. I was luckily to find a clean spot in the glass and the lights were turned on (:lust)
648331194_jhjeN-M-1.jpg

2. Devin Setoguchi. He's finally losing his baby face.
648331490_rV2eq-M-1.jpg

3. Joe Thornton on North Rink. I really don't like the glass or the lights in this rink....
648331040_H3LYM-M-1.jpg

4. He's called Jumbo Joe for a reason. I think his wing span is about seven feet! I wished this was cleaner, but I had more issues with the glass, light, and my position on the boards.
648331650_CuXrd-M-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Yeah!!! It's almost hockey season!! I love that first picture, it really does look like synchronized skating. I was just shooting this weekend at my son's game and had to jack up the ISO to 3200, talk about a dungeon. I guess I have to complain about something. I spent all summer with baseball and the constant shade/bright sun problems on the field, now I'll have to complain about the horrible lighting and dirty glass. Oh well - I still love it!!!

Stephanie
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2009
    It's almost hockey season!
    Actually, hockey season is all-year round for me.

I skipped lunch today and went to the rink instead of about 30 minutes.

1. D boys. Murray, Boyle and hopeful Joslin
    650160490_WLyaj-M.jpg

2. New Shark, Kent Huskins. I shot this too tight, but I like the detail too much.
    650161173_7zmEX-M.jpg

3. Using your edges. I wish that I could do this. Unknown Sharks
    650160920_CcEmB-M.jpg

4. Crank Shaft, aka Douglas Murray
    650160642_BVj4N-M.jpg

C&C welcomed....
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    aktse wrote:
    ...I skipped lunch today and went to the rink instead of about 30 minutes...
    EXIF data on these indicate you used a mega zoom (700000-2000000mm). How do you manage to find such a lens?rolleyes1.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    thezoomerthezoomer Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    Hello Aktse! I'm new here and have undertaken the challenge of shooting hockey the season for the first time. I've done alot of research as to tips on hockey photography and your threads/info have come up often. Thanks for the helpful tips and insight, by the way. My photos up to this point are not very good, I'm not embarrassed to say. I do have 1 question that I'm still not clear on and pertains to histograms. Can you show what a good histogram would look like shooting hockey. I think I may have some idea, but would like to see one by seasoned shooter, if possible. Also, if I shoot manual at 2.8, 1/500 or so and ISO 1800-3200, do I need to be concerned with exposure comp or should I bump up a bit. Not quite sure on this.

Thanks for your insight and look forward to seeing more of your photos.
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2009
    thezoomer wrote:
    Hello Aktse! I'm new here and have undertaken the challenge of shooting hockey the season for the first time. I've done alot of research as to tips on hockey photography and your threads/info have come up often. Thanks for the helpful tips and insight, by the way. My photos up to this point are not very good, I'm not embarrassed to say. I do have 1 question that I'm still not clear on and pertains to histograms. Can you show what a good histogram would look like shooting hockey. I think I may have some idea, but would like to see one by seasoned shooter, if possible. Also, if I shoot manual at 2.8, 1/500 or so and ISO 1800-3200, do I need to be concerned with exposure comp or should I bump up a bit. Not quite sure on this.

Thanks for your insight and look forward to seeing more of your photos.
    I answered this in your other thread
  • Options
    Cuong wrote:
    EXIF data on these indicate you used a mega zoom (700000-2000000mm). How do you manage to find such a lens?rolleyes1.gif
    :D

Don't know what happened, but I was processing on backup laptops and probably, something got corrupted rolleyes1.gif

I hate when I have a HD crash and no time to debug and reinstall.
  • Options
    I went back to the rink and was afraid of big crowds due to the trade for Dany Heatley. Luckily, the crowd wasn't too big, the lights were turned on and I found a decent piece of glass. It doesn't take much to make me happy :D

1. Welcome to San Jose. Dany Heatley, #15
    655498819_R24xD-M.jpg

2. It even says so on his glove
    655498298_hYMio-M.jpg

3. Going for a pad stack, i think. We call him Nabby
    655498312_JXMnD-M.jpg

4. This shot is for jdryan3. San Jose got Jody Shelly a few years ago from Columbus and he has been a fan favorite for years. He's not afraid to drop the gloves and by the end of the season, he face is black and blue. I wanted a close up of his face because it won't stay this way for long...
    655498596_gpwBE-M.jpg

5. Marc-Edouard Vlasic . With a last name of Vlasic, he got the nickname of Pickles. He still has the baby face even though he's been in the league for a few years.
    655498677_D3L22-M.jpg

6. Patrick (not captain anymore) Marleau. He was at the center of many trade rumors this year and I really wonder how he will do this year. Actually, I wonder how the entire team will do...
    655498995_Z989G-M.jpg

C&C welcome. ear.gif
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    aktse wrote:

4. This shot is for jdryan3. San Jose got Jody Shelly a few years ago from Columbus and he has been a fan favorite for years. He's not afraid to drop the gloves and by the end of the season, he face is black and blue. I wanted a close up of his face because it won't stay this way for long...
    655498596_gpwBE-M.jpg

Ahh Jody! So glad he has found a home and continued success there. I was thinking of you aktse when the trades were rattling around, so you beat me to the punch in reaching out for the new season. I've worked my way thru your threads. Great work as usual.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    655498312_JXMnD-M.jpg

This one is one of my favs! Even if it means the goalie is totally out of postion when they end up making saves like that. It makes for such good photos!!!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    I wonder if the lack of a C means anything for Marleau's future in San Jose?

I have to say he's been of my favorites but he really needed to step up and push the team harder. Not just through his own hard work.

Nice set of pics April thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dunnerdunner Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    Nice pictures. Good luck with Heater (Heatley). He certainly hasn't endeared himself to fans north of the 49th (in Edmonton or Ottawa) but a change could be just what he and the Sharks need.
    Kevin
    Peterborough, Ontario

www.kevindunn.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Nice shooting April. Hockey season is almost here!!!!! clap.gifthumb.gifwings.gif

Now in terms of the Captaincy, I think it might just be due to them being practice jerseys.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact