This is very cool

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in People
Anybody remember this shoot that I did, the one that was essentially in total darkness?

Well, apparently a magazine is doing a feature on the company and I just got word they want to use some of my shots in the article! Wow. Not sure how I've wound up becoming a "real" photographer by accident, but it appears to be happening.... pretty neat! :thumb

Question: the magazine has asked for full-resolution files - I'm still not sure if that's for online use, or print (have asked and will hopefully have an answer soon). What do I need to provide them with in either case? (jpgs, tiff...??) Thanks!

ETA: Also, due to the grim conditions these had a LOT of noise reduction etc etc. If this is print, do I need to adjust the processing in any way, or is that the magazine's problem to handle (ie colour profiling etc)?

For the record, although everybody always says that "free" can be a dangerous thing to offer as a photographer, I have to say I've had nothing but good leads from this experience. I stepped forward to do this job SOLELY to support some singer friends starting a new venture during a period where all my own work had been cancelled and, since there were no roles for me in that show, wanting to be involved in any way I could to show my support. Strangely, the whole experience turned into a kind of Rubicon for me as a photographer as well: not only are these images getting used, but the experience also led to some of the singers asking me to do shots for them (which was my first paid shoot). So... while I guess one has to be careful, sometimes there IS an unexpected return on a freebie!!

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Can't answer your questions, but congratulations on getting published clap.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifclap.gif

Very nice low-light/no-light shots!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    Nice! Looks like it all paid off.

I'm doing a little jig for your soon-to-be PUBLISHED photos! wings.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Nice! Looks like it all paid off.

I'm doing a little jig for your soon-to-be PUBLISHED photos! wings.gif
    And take a picture of it, submit it for the DSS and call it "Diva Dance..."
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    Great news. Congratulations. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Why don't you just ask them what format they want? Nothing to be shy about, I think. ne_nau.gif
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    happy dance for you, congrats! Everything we do pays off in someway, but this is especially nice!
    wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif :ivar :ivar
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Congrats on being contacted for publishing! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    that's awesome, congrats diva! clap.gifclap.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    this IS very cool! clap.gifclap.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    That's fabulous!!! :D Smiling from ear to ear!!

Virginia

Email
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Thanks all!

I did of course ask about formats etc, I just wondered if there was some kind of "industry standard" that I should know. Hardly surprisingly, I am COMPLETELY unfamiliar with press protocols :giggle
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    This is way cool!!!
    Congrats - it's nice to see that not all good deeds go punished! wings.gifthumb.gif :ivar

Would love to see the spread when your shots make it to print. That would be cool!
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    1st of all let me just say
    THAT IS FREAKIN FANTASTICclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

nOW as t othe files sizes.....they can probably use jpg.....that seems to be more of the norm as time creeps on down the road..............but i would advise you ask them what they prefer..........as for the resolution....full size is just that......jpg quality 12 in photoshop or with software that goes from 0-100....trhen it would be 100..........if you have lightroom, make sure to embed all your copyright info in the exif data along with contact info.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Thanks all! (and for the technical info, Art - v. helpful). Still unclear which will be used to illustrate the feature from among those the company has submitted (several photographers' work, including some from a better-lit occasion which will obviously have some appeal) but it's all good as far as I'm concerned - There's no $ involved since the shots are from the company's own archive, and even if they don't run mine in the end, my mind is kind of blown to be in a position where my work is even *considered* for publication! thumb.gif
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    Congrats Diva!clap.gif :ivar iloveyou.gifwings.gifbowdown.gifclap.gif Publishing is a HUGE step!!! Can't help with the technical stuff but just wanted to offer my support :D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • SKnightSKnight Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    A hearty congrats! And don't sweat not getting paid this time. Look at it as advertising, and hopefully a good start.
    Thanks Sandy!
    SKnight wrote:
    A hearty congrats! And don't sweat not getting paid this time. Look at it as advertising, and hopefully a good start.

Oh, I'm not sweating in the slightest! The Art Director in fact has the final say, so I may yet hit the cutting-room floor but, regardless of outcome, I'm pretty darned chuffed to be included among the choices thumb.gif