Rainy Day Portraits

B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in People
Was going to have a nice shoot with my :lust but weather did not permit. So we shot for an hour or 2 in the rain. Was a lot of fun I must say. These are the shots I am happy with. The focus is soft on alot of them. (My fault for buying the wrong lens for my camera a couple years ago and having only manual focus) Some of them I tried a soft glamor look as well. I'm new to portraits so let me have it!!

1.)
3920076473_7a57b29b09_b.jpg

2.)
3920089259_534b52496e_b.jpg

3.)
3920885058_0f79de9c83_b.jpg

4.)
3920895492_00950d719e_b.jpg

5.)
3920122121_c79b447506_b.jpg

6.)
3920135941_c8b86fcafc_b.jpg

Personally I like 2,4 and 5 the best.

Thanks for looking,

Brock

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    B Rock wrote:
    Was going to have a nice shoot with my iloveyou.gif but weather did not permit. So we shot for an hour or 2 in the rain. Was a lot of fun I must say. These are the shots I am happy with. The focus is soft on alot of them. (My fault for buying the wrong lens for my camera a couple years ago and having only manual focus) Some of them I tried a soft glamor look as well. I'm new to portraits so let me have it!!

[...]

Personally I like 2,4 and 5 the best.

Thanks for looking,

Brock
    Hi Brock wave.gif

You mentioned 2, 4 and 5, but besides those I actually also really 6.

I think 1 and 3 are nice shots, I particularly like her expression in both, but are a bit to soft for my taste. I like 5 as well, but think she could have filled the frame a bit more. Is it a crop? if so, do you have a crop that is not so tight on her?
  • B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    Thank you for the kind words. The only photo that is cropped is number 2. I didn't pose her at all. I told her where to go stand and then just shot away. It seemed more natural then the times that I do pose her.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    B Rock wrote:
    The only photo that is cropped is number 2.
    I think it's all the empty space in the top half of #5 that throws me off a bit. What I might have done, is shot that shot landscape oriented, with her in the right corner as well, maybe a little bit further from the edge (also remember that if you have it printed, you will lose a bit more from the edges. Just a thought.
  • ccherokeccheroke Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    My favorite is...
    #3Looks soft
  • B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    Number 3 was softened up for a glamour style. The image was soft in the first place and I thought this was the only way to save it really. Thanks for the comments I am still learning definetly. If only I could get a new lens with auto focus haha.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    I also think #2 is great. #3 looked to me like it needed a little work with levels/curves, just to get those darks darker. That usually helps sharpen up an image by itself. Other little tricks (if you haven't tried yet) are playing with the unsharp mask - just a very subtle correction because it's easy to overdo this one, and using the burn tool to darken the eyelashes and rims of the eyes where women usually wear eyeliner.

Great start, I also love the one where she's reaching for the leaf.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!