Bay Photo metallic prints

jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
edited September 22, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Bay Photo offers several options for their metallic prints and they are all drastically more expensive than the prices offered through Smugmug. I know other smuggers have ordered metallic prints (on paper) but it doesn't look like Bay Photo even offers a metallic paper print. All of theirs are actually pieces of metal.

I downloaded Bay Photo's ROES software and it tells you exactly what you're getting, but I don't know what I'll end up with if I order through Smugmug. Does Smug's "metallic print" option directly correspond to one of Bay Photo's options?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    "Metallic" refers to this:
    http://www.smugmug.com/prints/metallic-paper

"Metal" refers to this: http://www.bayphoto.com/bayweb/pro_metalprints.htm

We hope to add these to Smuggy's catalog really fast :D (hint)

647075181_JysT2-L.jpg

647075039_VtCqp-X3.jpg
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    I'll bet they look amazing! Hopefully they'll be just a little more affordable through Smugmug :D (hint). IMO, the float blocks should be standard, as well as a radius on the corners; saves you the trouble of worrying about options, also.

Make it so!
    jpc wrote:
    I'll bet they look amazing! Hopefully they'll be just a little more affordable through Smugmug :D (hint). IMO, the float blocks should be standard, as well as a radius on the corners; saves you the trouble of worrying about options, also.

Make it so!
    Expensive, worthwhile specialty product! I really love 'em, they are gorgeous!
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    Off-topic, but... If their wholesale price (i.e. our price, as SmugMug pros) is so high, how much can we hope to sell them for?
    $20 for an 8x10 seems like a good price. But that's our cost. What's the MSRP on things like this?
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Andy wrote:

I agree. I just got my first metal prints a week or so ago and just love them.
    Nimai wrote:
    Off-topic, but... If their wholesale price (i.e. our price, as SmugMug pros) is so high, how much can we hope to sell them for?
    $20 for an 8x10 seems like a good price. But that's our cost. What's the MSRP on things like this?
    I think you're looking at this from point of weakness, versus an opportunity to sell something for a lot of money.

Folks can buy paper prints for $X.
    Folks can buy canvas or giclee for $X+Y
    Folks can buy cool shiny metal prints, for $X+Y+Z

They're going to be a a high-end product on my site.
  • David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    Andy wrote:
    I think you're looking at this from point of weakness, versus an opportunity to sell something for a lot of money.

Folks can buy paper prints for $X.
    Folks can buy canvas or giclee for $X+Y
    Folks can buy cool shiny metal prints, for $X+Y+Z

They're going to be a a high-end product on my site.

I think you're right. It's definately a high-end product. I suspect it's the kind of product you'd sell so few of, it wouldn't be a high priority for SmugMug. Don't get me wrong, I'd like for SM to offer them, but my wish list includes a little more variety for their standard prints (e.g., finishes and mounts). headscratch.gif I'd also place a higher priority on Christmas or Thank You cards. But that's just me. Metal prints = super cool! thumb.gif

David
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    Metal prints = super cool! thumb.gif
    Wow, I haven't seen this. Pretty cool! I've done metal prints before, at FedEx/Kinkos, which will do them at any size for about $15 per square foot. They will even drill small holes in the corners for mounting if you wish.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    I think you're right. It's definately a high-end product. I suspect it's the kind of product you'd sell so few of, it wouldn't be a high priority for SmugMug. Don't get me wrong, I'd like for SM to offer them, but my wish list includes a little more variety for their standard prints (e.g., finishes and mounts). headscratch.gif I'd also place a higher priority on Christmas or Thank You cards. But that's just me. Metal prints = super cool! thumb.gif

David
    Because of work we did a year ago, adding new products to our catalog is super-easy. Nothing at all like adding features such as coupons or packages.

We love to offer really cool products, and the metals are just that.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    Wow, I haven't seen this. Pretty cool! I've done metal prints before, at FedEx/Kinkos, which will do them at any size for about $15 per square foot. They will even drill small holes in the corners for mounting if you wish.

Bay Photo offers "float blocks" for mounting, which I believe alleviate the need for any mounting holes. They must look great sitting off the surface of the wall.
  • David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    Andy wrote:
    Because of work we did a year ago, adding new products to our catalog is super-easy. Nothing at all like adding features such as coupons or packages.

We love to offer really cool products, and the metals are just that.

Thanks Andy! I like new things to offer.

David
  • dsparksphotographydsparksphotography Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 22, 2009
    Off-topic, but did someone say coupons? Anxiously waiting :)