Ft Sam Houston Military Cemetery at Dusk

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited October 13, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I was headed home from church about 1830 last night when I saw incredible skies all around me. There were dark clouds and rain in one direction, the beginnings of orange and pink ribbons in another, and a rainbow in front of me. Unfortunately, I was on the highway with nowhere to pull off so I just started driving around, hoping for a place to get a good shot of the skies. Never did shoot the rainbow but I did end up with some nice shots at Fort Sam Houston military cemetery.

I'd never been to this cemetery but it seemed like a good place to check out the sunset and to spend a little quiet time. Quiet indeed--I was the only one there amidst rows and rows of headstones. I spent some time looking at names and histories, even finding two soldiers who died in the Spanish-American War.

I stayed in one "small" section of the cemetery, just mesmerized by all the sacrifices made in the name of freedom. It was a good way to end the day.

Here are a few shots. I had a hard time with the lighting so I kept trying different exposures and ISO settings. I will have to go back again with a tripod and a how-to book.

C&C welcomed. Thanks, Lauren

1. 3-exp HDR, looking east
650087616_b57x9-L.jpg

2. It was hard to get the right angle but I was happy with this one. Boosted the contrast and sat a little and did some dodging and gradient work.
650086382_tzMix-L.jpg

3. Turned to leave and saw this. I went for a soft look, partly because of noise but also I thought it might work with this scene.
650092055_TDCkm-L.jpg

4. Another softer look. I'm not sure about this one--does it work at all?
650090946_zhUrz-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Hey Lauren,

Good eye on the sky and finding someplace interesting to capture it.

I like #1 & #3 best.

Is it just me, or are the headstone "rows/patterns" different than most?
    Randy
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    Hi Randy-

Thanks for the comments. I think the rows/patterns are the same as other military cemeteries I have visited but I admit they did take some time for me to adjust at first. The patterns do look different from different viewpoints. If you Google Arlington National Cemetery you can find some photos with similar patterns to mine.

Thanks for looking!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    Hi Lauren,

I think you did well with these. #3 is exceptional. I'm glad to see you at full-steam-ahead again. Keep it up.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    WoW - that first photo speaks volumes! Not an expert but I think the pp suits this well. How serene # 3 looks - good eye. Thanks for sharing these.
    Thank you Tom and Eia!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    1&3, with #1 being my big WOW.

I think the scale is too non-linear in 5, the front stone to second stone change in screen size is too much for the effect of the rest of the image.

Really nice work.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    Thanks a lot, Andrew--I appreciate the big "WOW" a lot! I'm glad you explained what you saw with the last one. I knew it looked off--besides the softness of the look--but I couldn't figure out what bothered me. It just doesn't work as a vertical. I do have a couple shots of individual headstones, so maybe I will post one of those.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Nice set. Cemeteries are always interesting places to shoot. You've done well.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • AnniePAnnieP Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Beautiful shots. I like the first one best.

I've been to a number of national cemeteries and always get overwhelmed as to how to align all the columns and rows. You've done a great job.

Which brings up a question. All the national cemeteries I've been in have been like this one - uniform markers, evenly spaced. The other day I was in the San Antonio National Cemetery. They had the "normal" national cemetery markers but also a sprinkling of regular monuments. I had never seen the combination before and was wondering if this is unique or normal, and I've just not run across it before.

You were really fortunate to find such a great complement to that wonderful sky!

Thanks for posting.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Howdy Lauren,

Very nicely done, I think you've captured the very essence of what all of it's all about, the Honor deserved by those that gave Their all.

The First and Third are my favorites, but they are all very nicely done.

I think these are my very favorite of all your shots.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Hi Lauren....number 3 is a really nice picture....You keep improving....The rest of the set is really well done........ azzaro
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Hi Lauren
    I really like #2 and #3. The composition and exposure in #2 is right on the mark. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    I think they are all very competent and attractive shots! Very acceptable HDR. The one I stay looking at longest is the blossoms. No need to go back, I think you got 'em!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    I love them all -- they all work thumb.gif Your last one is a winner in my eyes.
    edited October 13, 2009
    Craig - Thanks so much for the encouraging comment--it's nice to hear when someone is aware of my work and has a favorite! :D

AnnieP - I didn't see the "normal" types of headstones the day I was there. I suspect they were there first and the US acquired an existing cemetery to use for the national one. There is probably a history someplace that would explain it. You said you'd been to this cemetery -- are you in Texas also?

Everyone - Thanks for looking and commenting. It's interesting to see which shots become favorites for folks. I'll have to print them all and see which look best. #3 may go into my living room wall portfolio!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com