need some help: 2x softbox, santa claus, and pets !

JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited October 1, 2009 in Technique
This is my 3rd year shooting Santa Paws, a photo op with Santa for pets (and their owners) that benefits a local animal shelter. I need some suggestions on how to better pose the pets, owners, Santa, and our props. Also, critiques on improving the lighting would be very helpful.

Here is the setup and workflow:
Santa sitting on a bench, next a small xmas tree, in front of a decorative street sign, with a black background and some foofy garland across the top. Images are shot in jpeg and printed on-site using some basic HP printers, so no chance for post processing. Any processing has to be done in camera, and my Rebel XT has limited options like contrast, color, sharpness and such.

Here is a typical problematic shot:

_MG_7025.jpg

Santa's white beard is so completely white and the background (and some dogs) are so black it's difficult to not blow out the highlights and plug the shadows on every shot. Also, our "stage" is so small it's really hard to get more an one or two pets in the same picture, let alone pets and their owners too, without going past the background and props. Also, the lighting does not fall very evenly on the subjects and the props which is annoying but not as big as the other issues. And posing with more than one animal, or with owners ... I'm lost!

I have two 4'x4' softboxes or umbrellas to work with, along with the typical fluorescent lighting you find in the average well-lit pet store. Lens is a 17-55mm f/2.8, camera is canon rebel xt.

I'm thinking I can adjust the in-camera setting for contrast down to a minimum to help, and I really want to change that backdrop.

Any other ideas?

-J

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
  • JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    Thanks for the note Sam.

I could use some more input! Is what I typed not clear? Do others not know what to suggest?

-J
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    Not to be real harsh, but when I look at this all that comes to mind to throw away everything you used last year, and rethink your set, as well as lighting.

I would want to try some test shots because you do have a very white beard, white trim, bright red, black, and white animals.

I would like to see Santa on the same level as the animals, and the brown stairs disrupts the scene. Also I can see the side of the backdrop in the photo.

You are correct about getting it right in camera when your printing on site. You need to get the lighting, posing, composition, and camera settings spot on.

Do you have an assistant to take care of orders and printing?

Sam
    edited September 23, 2009
    _MG_7005.jpg

The first image was a typical problem shot, here is a typical "good" one ... just for comparison. In the grand scheme of things, all the customers are very happy with what they get. But I'm still not happy, I know I can do better.

Yes I have a couple assistants for handling the donations and printing the photos, I can focus solely on the animals and the set.

Some things I want to try differently this year, and you mention them too; change the backdrop to something not completely black and also much wider, get rid of the brown steps (but what to use instead?), and use poses that place the animals more inline with santa's height. To do the latter, I need a suggestion for a new prop to replace the brown stairs that would be more useful and pleasing.

Ideas?

-J

EDIT: don't worry about the edges of the frame too, the prints are framed in an oval matte
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    What about one of those "popup" portable backgrounds? BH has a bunch of them here.
    I have two backgrounds in stock already, and plan to use one of them. But thanks for the tip.

-J
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    I find the north pole sign distracting and perhaps just trying to put too much in the shot.

In the first photo the white thing from that sign looks like something sticking out of his hat.

In the second photo it now just looks like a pole growing out of his head.

I just don't see the value of something that often ends up being in a bad position.

As far as uneven lighting, Backup the lights and put one beside you for fill. The other light should be off axis and just enough to add a little.

How far back? Well for the off axis light I would suggest atleast 11ft from the closest subject to the light. This will give you about 5ft of depth. The on axis light (fill) would not need to be so far back, 8ft should do it.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures