Any original 5D users still out there?

VT50VT50 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited September 15, 2009 in Cameras
I'm currently using my trusty 'ol 40D right now and want to make the move up to the 5D Mark II and was wondering if I should go with the late 5D model to test my hand at FF picture taking? Any of you pros out there, what are some the the pros and cons of the original 5D I should expect most particularly noise levels. (I hate them)

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 15, 2009
    VT50 wrote:
    I'm currently using my trusty 'ol 40D right now and want to make the move up to the 5D Mark II and was wondering if I should go with the late 5D model to test my hand at FF picture taking? Any of you pros out there, what are some the the pros and cons of the original 5D I should expect most particularly noise levels. (I hate them)

It's important to keep in mind that sensor noise needs to be measured with regard to intended distribution image size and the intent of the image and the detail required for the image.

I do appreciate the tool provided at DXOMark because it gives us a comparative measure for RAW image capture and both per-pixel noise as well as per 8" x 10" noise relationships, which is a more appropriate measurement, IMO.

Here is the link to the Canon 5D vs 5D MKII as a comparison:

http://tiny.cc/MT187

When both are compared with the "Print" tab engaged, the MKII does slightly better.

That's only part of the tale however. The MKII is also capable of more Dynamic Range and Tonal Range. The sum total is a visible improvement, as well as slightly more visible detail at very large sizes, especially with nominal ISO.

Both models do require the best optics and the best techniques to achieve best results, so realize that the camera alone will not make most of the difference in images. Lighting, technique, lens, accurate focus and exposure and proper processing will ultimately make more difference than will the camera used.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    I am here.
    Have been using the 5D almost 3 years, I am happy with it.
    Only problem is the mirror assembly. It dropped off at the critical time and I just missed half day shooting.
    The big sensor attract more dust and difficult to clean. New Mark II comes with build in cleaner really help.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    I still have both a 5D & 5DMkII, and an old lonely 30D.

I haven't even shot my 5D since acquiring my 5D2. It's just a backup body now.

The 5D2 most certainly has several nice advances to the original. For me, most notably are the higher ISO/low noise & the very nice LCD. I can actually see it in bright daylight! I like the 5D2's menu system MUCH better also, along with lens micro-correction, peripheral lens adjustment, sensor cleaner (although your still gonna' get dust bunnies).

No doubt, the 5DMkII is a fantastic camera!

Of course only you can decide your needs/wants.

Coming from a 40D, IMHO you are going to be VERY, VERY pleased with the original 5D, given that you want FF over crop. IMHO, if your images are properly exposed, even ISO 3200 is very usable.

5D = used approx $1,200.00 ~ $1,500.00
    5DMkII = $2,700.00

So, on average it will cost you about half to try a 5D as opposed to a 5DMkII.

I think you'll be happy with either one thumb.gif
    Randy