Options

how big does 1 mp print

WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
edited September 17, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
If I do a shoot for some clients and load the photos, say they want to download 1 mp prints so they can have on their pc or print at any old print lab (walgreens, costco etc) how big does that print - 5x7, 8x10.....?

just wanting to know so I know how much I should charge for the 1 mp download for them.

Thanks
Lee Wiren

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Wiren wrote:
    If I do a shoot for some clients and load the photos, say they want to download 1 mp prints so they can have on their pc or print at any old print lab (walgreens, costco etc) how big does that print - 5x7, 8x10.....?

just wanting to know so I know how much I should charge for the 1 mp download for them.

Thanks
    It will print as large as you want it to print. Its a totally subjective call, however, if the print is acceptable at a given size. Ttry making various print sizes yourself and judge for yourself.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 15, 2009
    file size does not necessarily equate to print size.

a more appropriate consideration is PPI in the original file from the camera. If we start there we can reach a point of understanding of what to expect.

Any image can be constrained to a limited file size through compression if necessary.

This topic has been addressed before. Please try doing a "search"
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    4x6, but idiots like that will print it at 8x10. charge them for 8x10 at least.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    One meg would be about 800 x 1200 pixels, (960,000) PPI would be 100 per inch, which would
    be 10,000 dots per square inch. (100 x 100)

I have a book full of 8X12's printed from this size, and they look great at arms length.
    If you hold it 3 inches from your face you'll see the limits of the print.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    That's what I was looking for!
    Thanks Jack & Dave for the answer, that is what I thought it would print to but wanted to clarify - and I had the thought of charging for an 8x10 or so.

I did a search - just didn't care to take time to look through 200+ posts that searching "print size" brought up. rolleyes1.gif This info will help and I appreciate those that were patient enough to answer.
    Lee Wiren