Options

Canon 50D RGB? or srgb

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in Finishing School
Which color space do you'll use when shooting.. I've just moved to RGB from srgb in my Canon 50D - would seem to make sense to me to use a bigger color gamut??:dunno no?

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 15, 2009
    lynnma wrote:
    Which color space do you'll use when shooting.. I've just moved to RGB from srgb in my Canon 50D - would seem to make sense to me to use a bigger color gamut??ne_nau.gif no?

Doesn't matter if you are shooting raw.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    If you shoot JPEG, Adobe RGB will provide a wider gamut than sRGB.

If you shoot raw, the color space setting on the camera doesn't apply. With raw, all of the color information that the sensor can possibly capture is passed along to the computer in the raw file, and you make your color space choice in your raw conversion software.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Lynne,

Shoot in raw, then create sRGB files for your SmugMug site and for your prints. deal.gif
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    Lynne,

Shoot in raw, then create sRGB files for your SmugMug site and for your prints. deal.gif
    Thanks everyone.. I always shoot in raw but did'nt realize that color settings in the camera don't apply to raw.. only jpeg.. I LOVE RAW wings.gif an I love my new 50D:ivar wait.. wait.. srgb for prints Andy?? why not RGB for prints...
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    lynnma wrote:
    wait.. srgb for prints Andy?? why not RGB for prints...
    Because nearly every lab in existance expects an sRGB file. Worse, if you embed a color profile the lab will ignore it and assume its sRGB anyway. Really frickin' stupid if you ask me, but that's the way it is. Now, if you're printing from home use any color space you wish, since you're in complete control.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    mercphoto wrote:
    Because nearly every lab in existance expects an sRGB file. Worse, if you embed a color profile the lab will ignore it and assume its sRGB anyway. Really frickin' stupid if you ask me, but that's the way it is. Now, if you're printing from home use any color space you wish, since you're in complete control.

Wow... you live an learn.. what a shame... considering we have larger color gamuts than sRGB... hmmm need a printer.. trouble is... which one mwink.gif
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    lynnma wrote:
    Wow... you live an learn.. what a shame... considering we have larger color gamuts than sRGB... hmmm need a printer.. trouble is... which one mwink.gif
    Larger color gamuts with the same bit-depth (i.e. 8-bit JPG) though is benefiting in one area while losing in another, so its not like the RGB is a win-win in all cases. What I find more of a crime is if your JPG embeds a color profile and the lab deliberatly just disregards it. For that matter, nearly every browser except Apple's Safari does the same thing. Which is another reason why I don't understand serious photographers using Windows, but I digress... :)

The Smugmug main page has a nice run-down on color spaces that is a really good read.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    mercphoto wrote:
    Larger color gamuts with the same bit-depth (i.e. 8-bit JPG) though is benefiting in one area while losing in another, so its not like the RGB is a win-win in all cases. What I find more of a crime is if your JPG embeds a color profile and the lab deliberatly just disregards it. For that matter, nearly every browser except Apple's Safari does the same thing. Which is another reason why I don't understand serious photographers using Windows, but I digress... :)

The Smugmug main page has a nice run-down on color spaces that is a really good read.

Perhaps you are not aware that Firefox has offered color management since 3.0 and it is enabled by default in 3.5. Windows itself has had OS level color management support since Win2K and starting with Vista is ICC V.4 compliant, so I'm not sure why you think it is unsuitable for serious photography. headscratch.gif In any event, I think anyone who is serious about trying to sell on the Web would be making a big mistake in posting anything other than sRGB, simply because the number of viewers who have both the hardware and software needed to view a larger gamut is vanishingly small. OTOH, images posted in anything other than sRGB will look much worse for the vast majority.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    I agree that sRGB is the ticket ( ICC tag ) for images viewed or printed via the web.

IF you are going to print your own files, at home, from a modern 8-12 ink professional inkjet printer, I would not use either sRGB, but print from Lightroom in 16 bit aRGB. Lightroom will even print from ProPhoto I believe.

The newer pro level inkjet printers are capable a printing gamuts significantly bigger than sRGB, and a few top line ones will print gamuts that exceed aRGB in some hues, as well.

Unless you compare these prints directly, side by side, with an sRGB print, I doubt most folks will even see any difference. Kind of like listening to speakers in a store and then going home to listen to your speakers. Unless you can compare them side by side, the differences may be hard to discern without a highly trained eye. Particularly if they are not viewed under precisely the same illumination, both color temp and intensity.

Many many images do not exceed the gamut displayed within sRGB.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin