Trying to Expose Without the Filter

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited September 16, 2009 in Landscapes
Well, going through a few more photos -- found another exposure for both the sky/ground. (I left the ND filter in the truck) I shot in RAW and that helped somewhat with pp. Op FOUND HERE: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=143706

650607268_RDGqr-XL.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    WOW, that is gorgeous Eia clap.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    The foreground is very nice but there are some overcooked areas in the clouds. If you can tone the sky down some and make it a bit more believable you will have something here. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    hi eia that is a nice view, the foreground is great and the fog gives it more dramaclap.gif

i just have some questions regarding the clouds/horizon i find it a bit over saturated especially the violet hues on the left and the orange hues on the right is this shot taken with nd grads?
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    anwmn1 wrote:
    The foreground is very nice but there are some overcooked areas in the clouds. If you can tone the sky down some and make it a bit more believable you will have something here. thumb.gif

Thanks, I've been trying to work the sky. It is not too far off from what it was. The horizon (top of mountain) gets that way when i try to lighten it; i did not saturate that. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it another try...
    GORIO wrote:
    hi eia that is a nice view, the foreground is great and the fog gives it more dramaclap.gif

i just have some questions regarding the clouds/horizon i find it a bit over saturated especially the violet hues on the left and the orange hues on the right is this shot taken with nd grads?

the violet hues are natural. They bothered me and i actually tried to clone them out in one attempt. I mistyped the title; it should read 'no filter'. I left it in the truck! :( This is what happens... Had I the filter on I could have exposed for the foreground better! Thanks for the comment...
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    Eia wrote:
    the violet hues are natural. They bothered me and i actually tried to clone them out in one attempt. I mistyped the title; it should read 'no filter'. I left it in the truck! :( This is what happens... Had I the filter on I could have exposed for the foreground better! Thanks for the comment...

I changed the title to add a "-out" to the "with." :D If you want to change it to something else entirely just let me know!
  • GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    if that's natural then that is a sight! its almost picturesque for me! awesome shot! that separates it from the ordinary eia! chasing light!!!clap.gif
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    I agree that the clouds are a bit overdone and don't seem to fit naturally with the rest of the image.

I really prefer the sky in the second shot in your other thread and wouldn't edit any farther than that. To get the overall image looking as natural as possible, you'll need to lighten the sky a little and darken the foreground. When you merge the photos, have a more gradual blend instead of the sharp, obvious one that can be seen as an unnaturally dark line across the distant ridges.

Anyway, this kind of blend is difficult and takes a good amount of practice. I'm not trying to be overcritical but I think you really have something to work with here. Good luck!
    dseidman wrote:
    I agree that the clouds are a bit overdone and don't seem to fit naturally with the rest of the image.

I really prefer the sky in the second shot in your other thread and wouldn't edit any farther than that. To get the overall image looking as natural as possible, you'll need to lighten the sky a little and darken the foreground. When you merge the photos, have a more gradual blend instead of the sharp, obvious one that can be seen as an unnaturally dark line across the distant ridges.

Anyway, this kind of blend is difficult and takes a good amount of practice. I'm not trying to be overcritical but I think you really have something to work with here. Good luck!

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I think I'll scratch it and hopefully get another chance this weekend. It's more fun retrying with the camera than in front of the monitor! :D