Hi Everyone

SummerLeeSummerLee Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited September 16, 2009 in People
Hi everyone! My name is Summer Lee and I am a new portrait artist in Oklahoma City. I would really appreciate some constructive criticism of my work if anyone has the time! My website with portfolio is below (I tried to upload pictures here, but the file sizes are all too big for the forum).

Summer Lee
http://www.summerleephotography.com

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    SummerLee wrote:
    Hi everyone! My name is Summer Lee and I am a new portrait artist in Oklahoma City. I would really appreciate some constructive criticism of my work if anyone has the time! My website with portfolio is below (I tried to upload pictures here, but the file sizes are all too big for the forum).

Summer Lee

Hi Summer, welcome to the Dgrin, the friendly photography forum! wave.gif

There are a few great shots on your website, but it's hard to comment on all of them. History has learned that posting a link to a website gets very little responses, mainly because it's just 'too much' to critique.

Best thing to do is post one or a few images that you want critiqued. You don't need to upload them to Dgrin, you can keep them on your site, or any other site, really. See http://dgrin.smugmug.com/Tutorials/Digital-Grin for some tutorials on how to post photos here. Alternatively you could resize them.

I hope this helps. See the link in my signature on 'how to do most anything' around here. Let us know if you have any questions!

Cheers,
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    SummerLee wrote:

Summer Lee
    Hi Summer wave.gif - welcome to the best place to talk photos!

I took a quick look at some of your galleries (even though I don't really like flash - but that's just me). As ivar indicated, it's hard to comment on a stack of photos, so I'll just make a couple of general comments:
    • Love your posing bowdown.gif - you seem to have a talent to relate to people and get them to open up and get comfortable in front of the camera.
    • Your color photos are very nicely done - I like the level of color saturation - it's nice without being over done. Some are a touch dark though.
    • Your B&W photos .... hmmmmmm ..... with few exceptions, they appear to be dark and muddy - not a lot of pop. You do a good job of finding a good solid black, but I don't see where you've got any good, well defined whites - you're not using the full contrast range available to you. So, I think my benefit from a re-evaluation of your B&W conversion technique/method. Of course, if that's the style you are building for yourself, well ... then I would be all wet wouldn't I? :D
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Hi Summer,

Welcome, you have some really nice work. The posing and processing are excellent.

Sam
  • photokandyphotokandy Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    Ok - I know you didn't ask for it, but here's a tiny smidge of advice: don't start the music when the page loads. Ack!!!!! And it'd be really nice for the galleries to respect my initial choice of whether or not I want music. I might be at work, or a library, or a lab, etc., or I might be listening to my own music - etc..., and having music playing when the page loads is the fastest, surest way to ensure a quick (read: lightning fast) exit by a lot of people...

On to the pics:

* Your compositions are very nice. I like many of the expressions, and the rings on the baby's toes is priceless...
    * Several images seem just a tad under-exposed; adjust your EV just a tad higher, and that should be fixed. It is really obvious on the B&W images... (unless that was the intent)
    * Speaking of which, the B&W conversion needs a little work; make it pop a bit more...
    * Don't forget about white balance... (only on a couple that I noticed...)
    * You'll get better critiques if you post specific images; otherwise it is very difficult to walk through your galleries and give more than a cursory look...
    * Oh, did I mention that I liked your compositions? You have a nice talent for posing and setting people at ease, from the looks of things. That wins major points in my book thumb.gif

Off topic: I like your site design, even though it is in flash :D . Just fix the music? (please?) ;-)
    ~ Kerri, photoKandy Studios ( Facebook | Twitter )

Need customization services? View our packages or see our templates.

Note: I won't be offended if you edit my photo and repost it on dgrin -- I'm always open to new interpretations
    and ideas, and any helpful hints, tips, and/or critiques are welcome. Just don't post the edit anywhere else
    but dgrin, please.

My Gear List