Upper Antelope Canyon

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited April 1, 2010 in Landscapes
Danny Seidman and I just returned from a week in the southwest (including visits to Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Grand Canyon, Page, and spots in between). I'll be processing photos for the rest of my life from this trip, but I figured I'd start with the Antelope shots where we met up with several other dgrinners and about 300 other people in Disneyland Page, AZ.

Besides the crowds, the canyon itself is breathtaking. It really looks as cool in person as it does in photos. I only wish I had more than 2 hours and less than half the population of Arizona in there when I was taking photos.

Here are a few of my favorites.

#1:

650992340_BVBM5-XL.jpg

#2:

650986538_jJaXT-XL.jpg

#3:

650982905_RqVKY-XL.jpg

#4:

650974445_Vi6bB-XL.jpg

#5:

650984512_NGTaY-XL.jpg

#6:

650980387_T8UXn-XL.jpg

#7:

650989189_rdjho-XL.jpg

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Ron, if you hit all those places in a week, it's a wonder you had time to shoot! i did Bryce, Antelope, Monument Valley and the Arches in 10 days and barely had time to scratch the surface! nice stuff here, tho... makes me wanna go back!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    All great Ron. clap.gif 2, 3, and 5 are my faves here. How did you get the sand shot?
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    squirl033 wrote:
    Ron, if you hit all those places in a week, it's a wonder you had time to shoot! i did Bryce, Antelope, Monument Valley and the Arches in 10 days and barely had time to scratch the surface! nice stuff here, tho... makes me wanna go back!

I had time to shoot - but not time to sleep! I'm paying for it now. We shot every sunrise and sunset while on the trip. Most places we were there for one night except Zion which we stayed at for 3 nights. This was my southwest sampler trip, I'll return to hit some of these places more in depth later, truly an awesome location for photography.
    dlplumer wrote:
    All great Ron. clap.gif 2, 3, and 5 are my faves here. How did you get the sand shot?

Thanks Dan - a guy with a shovel was throwing sand up on the wall, I only had about 2 seconds to compose and focus before it was gone and he was yelled at by a guide to leave :D
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    #2 is a very sweet shot! clap.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Nice shots, Ron. I can't believe how many places you visited in a week. eek7.gif I'll look forward to seeing the rest of the pics. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    It's so cool to see you, one of the kings of the PNW, shooting something dry, red and dusty. And showing the rest of us how it should be done! :ivar

Sorry to hear the crowds were so thick but you did a great job keeping them out of your shots. You guys are brave, going there this time of year lol3.gif
    anwmn1 wrote:
    #2 is a very sweet shot! clap.gif

Thanks, that's one of my favorites too. The sandstone is just awesome in how it reflects the light, I wish we had some of that up here.
    kdog wrote:
    Nice shots, Ron. I can't believe how many places you visited in a week. eek7.gif I'll look forward to seeing the rest of the pics. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Yeah, it was a crazy trip, but definitely worth it, I can't wait to return. I might hit Zion for fall color, I'll keep you all posted :D
    schmoo wrote:
    It's so cool to see you, one of the kings of the PNW, shooting something dry, red and dusty. And showing the rest of us how it should be done! :ivar

Sorry to hear the crowds were so thick but you did a great job keeping them out of your shots. You guys are brave, going there this time of year lol3.gif

Thanks schmoo. Dry, red and dusty pretty much describes the inside of my car right now! I didn't think the crowds would be that bad, it's probably not as crowded on a weekday during off season (noted for future reference).
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    My favorites in the series are the first three but I'd like to see the bottom of the third shot darkened a bit. I guess that's just personal taste since these are all abstracts. Anyway, great series of images from Antelope Canyon.

P.S. Look what you've done to my sleep schedule. I've been awake for over an hour already...
    edited September 17, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    My favorites in the series are the first three but I'd like to see the bottom of the third shot darkened a bit. I guess that's just personal taste since these are all abstracts. Anyway, great series of images from Antelope Canyon.

P.S. Look what you've done to my sleep schedule. I've been awake for over an hour already...

Thanks - I hope you've adjusted to your normal 3AM-2PM sleep schedule, I think I've caught up finally, just in time to head out to Yellowstone/Grand Teton again and lose all I've gained!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks - I hope you've adjusted to your normal 3AM-2PM sleep schedule, I think I've caught up finally, just in time to head out to Yellowstone/Grand Teton again and lose all I've gained!

Are you serious? When do you work?
    dlplumer wrote:
    Are you serious? When do you work?

The other 11 months of the year :D

The four days last week was the longest vacation I've had in 3.5 years. Even after taking those four days, I still have more than 3 weeks of vacation this year and that's more vacation than I accrue a year.

I'm counting down the 35 years until retirement deal.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    coscorrosa wrote:

#2:

650986538_jJaXT-S.jpg

amazing catch, your eye on this comp was awesome
    Aaron Nelson
    amazing catch, your eye on this comp was awesome

I was inspired by your nearby "Don't chastise me!" speech, what can I say :D
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    Great shots, Ron! I love #2!! Can't wait to see more!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    I love #2. Great work. thumb.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    Really nice work Ron. What a beautiful place this is. I bet you all had a great time!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    You are the Master man! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 31, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks Dan - a guy with a shovel was throwing sand up on the wall, I only had about 2 seconds to compose and focus before it was gone and he was yelled at by a guide to leave :D

The images from Antelope always look so serene and meditative.

It is only after shooting there in the busy season, that one realizes it is really more like wandering through a bus terminalrolleyes1.gif

Nice work Ron, and like Aaron, I favor #2.

But the 8secondcowboy is really going to show us how it is done, I bet.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Those pictures look just like what I was reading about it on the internet! It must have been a spirtual experiance!
    I should go there, Im getting really good at landscape photography, and this place looks really easy to shoot.

it's not as easy as you'd think. between the crowds and the challenging lighting conditions, it's quite a bit more difficult than it looks. but if you do it right, you get spectacular results...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    i guess i must have missed this posting the first time around. very nice series, ron. #2 is my fave among the lot. the crowds must be maddening though. never made it out to antelope in the past mostly because of my aversion to crowds in the natural environment. but i suppose i have to go out to this legendary spot if not just to experience the paparazzi.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Hmmm... I never commented on these when they were fresh... Nice set, Ron!

Then again, it's apparently a very easy place to photograph, so maybe you should have done a better job! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    That's right -- you need to find more challenging places to shoot!rolleyes1.gif
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com