Canada Day Shots [56k warning!]

ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
edited July 5, 2005 in People
I'm having a rough night, so I think I'll share some photos from the last few days with you to compliment, critique, or otherwise...

Equipment: Canon 300D (Jpeg Mode, too lazy to RAW), 50mm1.8 / 18-55mm / 55-200mmUSM (borrowed)
Software: Picasa for Colour/Saturation/Balance, Other effects stated when used.

Here's two to get us into the mood:
IMG_4170.jpgIMG_4176.jpgIMG_4177.jpg

A charming young lady trying to push fine smells upon the skin of many:
IMG_4186.jpg

My eye for live band shots was pretty lame today, but I got a few, amongst was this one:
IMG_4233.jpg

Candid of an old man:
IMG_4235.jpg

Children playing in the fountain at Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto:
(candids taken with care, and while trying not to be too obvious)
IMG_4236.jpg
IMG_4237.jpg

Shot-from-the-hip while walking by a lady watering her lawn. Played with in Picasa to try to get something out of the otherwise blurred photo.
IMG_4269.jpg

Warning to everyone... never put your camera down. You're at risk of having a portrait taken at the worst of moments:
IMG_4370.jpg

NOTE: Pet photos (which fell here in the timeline) can be found in another thread.

Urban-esque macro on the Subway:
IMG_4420.jpg

NOTE: Fireworks (which fell here in the timeline) can be found in another thread.

Sihlouette at the Waterfront after the Fireworks:
IMG_4491.jpg

3200 ISO, pushed and pulled more than that car you had in university, then converted to black and white to give a first-generation plate-camera kind of feel to it:
IMG_4500.jpg

And finally, out in front of Union Station in Toronto, Canada, you will find this statue, usually covered in birds. At night on the other hand, looks kinda nice. I was walking by at the time so I didn't have time to stop and compose... think I nailed it?
IMG_4508.jpg

*Phew!* there we go. Hope you enjoy/inspire/create something out of my happy snappings. I'm always trying to learn to do better with my photography, not that much of these were carefully planned, but at least if I know how they could have been better, maybe I can recreate.
- Scott
http://framebyframe.ca
[Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
[Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
[Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
[Tripod]
Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
[Head] 484RC2, 200RC2

Comments

• BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005

Sihlouette at the Waterfront after the Fireworks:
    IMG_4491.jpg

I like this one best. The faint high lighting on the edge of the face reveals just enough detail to show the outline.
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    BrettG wrote:
    I like this one best. The faint high lighting on the edge of the face reveals just enough detail to show the outline.
    Thanks Brett! I didn't quite get it with my first attempt, the second one nailed it I think :-)

I kinda wish I'd shot it in raw so I'd have more control over the amount of darkness and detail, etc... but I'm still happy with it.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • zillazilla Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 5, 2005
    Scott, loved this one! The contrast in the silhouette is amazing!! Zilla
    BrettG wrote: