Grand Canyon (North Rim)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited September 18, 2009 in Landscapes
After shooting Upper Antelope Canyon, Danny and I split from the rest of the group to shoot the North Rim of the Grand Canyon at sunrise/sunset (neither of us had been there before, and we thought it would be criminal if we didn't at least visit the Grand Canyon considering how close we were). We lucked out with a great sunset after a thunderstorm, and a decent sunrise as well (although it was 40 degrees with the wind blowing! Quite a difference from the 95 degree temperatures a few days earlier).

#1:

651062533_66zaw-XL.jpg

#2:

651060367_Mv466-XL.jpg

#3:

651065513_BEndY-XL.jpg

Comments

• Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Man, these put my shots of the South Rim I took earlier this year to shame. Those are great shots!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    Sexy6Chick wrote:
    Man, these put my shots of the South Rim I took earlier this year to shame. Those are great shots!

Thanks - I totally lucked out with that sunset. I think I said "Holy !@$! this is awesome!" about three dozen times in a 20 minute stretch, probably to the annoyance of everyone around :D
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks - I totally lucked out with that sunset. I think I said "Holy !@$! this is awesome!" about three dozen times in a 20 minute stretch, probably to the annoyance of everyone around :D

The whole trip was full of the "Holy !@$! this is awesome" comments.

I love all three shots from this series and I'm not going to attempt to pick a favorite. It's too bad that the clouds at sunrise were so high up in the sky, making the 50/50 split at the horizon unavoidable.

I'm still looking through my Grand Canyon shots trying to decide on some favorites to process. The quickly changing storms and lighting conditions make each shot unique and hard to choose a favorite.
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    Ron, what was it again?
    Was it awesome?
    rolleyes1.gif

Great shots, glad you guys made it in time for the sunset.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    Like the last shot the most.
    sgonen wrote:
    Ron, what was it again?
    Was it awesome?
    rolleyes1.gif

Great shots, glad you guys made it in time for the sunset.

Thanks Shimon - we had a cool 45 minutes to spare, so no worries :D I wish we had more time so we could have done the Grand Canyon and Lower Antelope along with the group. Maybe next time deal.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks Shimon - we had a cool 45 minutes to spare, so no worries :D I wish we had more time so we could have done the Grand Canyon and Lower Antelope along with the group. Maybe next time deal.gif

Hardly any people in the lower slots. But after you see the entrance, you know why.rolleyes1.gif
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    All three are very nice, but I really like the color and detail in #1.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    Well done Ron, love #1 & #2, its nice when Mother Nature is on your side.
    dlplumer wrote:
    Hardly any people in the lower slots. But after you see the entrance, you know why.rolleyes1.gif

Muddy? Honestly, I wish you had to walk 3 miles in that sand to get to Upper Antelope Canyon, that's enough to discourage all the poseurs and give me enough room to shoot! :D
    Doug Solis wrote:
    Well done Ron, love #1 & #2, its nice when Mother Nature is on your side.

Thanks Doug, I agree, we had several of those moments on this trip, and we were thankful for each one.